The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Orbs and other quests...

Once again there is a muddle of thoughts amidst in the mind of the ever-present demon as the dear Pip (autumn_sun) gives a plot to the somewhat lacking-in-ideas Damon... Here goes...

In the township of Aidil there has been a recent report of attacks from those who come from the Abyssal Plane... Demons, so to speak.

The Elders of the village are baffled by the outbreak of these outsiders, and with the frequent kidnappings which lead to the the discovery of mangled sacrifices must mean that these demons have been calling upon their Dark Gods for some unknown purpose.

The village has done nothing particularly devastating, and they are only a small community of farmers and such. The only reason they can think of is that the Orb of Souls has gone missing from the wizard's tower, something that held the souls of the dead in order to protect them from being sold or feasted upon by the demons. Now that the Orb has gone missing, the Elders fear that the demons that lie below the surface have decided it is time to take harvest of the townspeople.

Being ill-prepared for this threat, the local thieve's guild has been asked to recover the Orb which has been located by the church to be in the town of Rivermist, a town known for the eery fog that coats the ground at night and the vast amounts of undead vampires roaming the area. The church believes that the vampires may be trying to take the souls of others in order to live once again, to enjoy the freedom they once had in their past life.

There has been an estimated limit before the demons will rise in force to take the entire town, and before the undead from the neaigboring Rivermist will wage war on those same demons which had once taken their souls from them when the became undead. The thieve's have one week, and they have only the aid of a few other townsfolk who are willing to help... The local militia is frightened however and will not lift a finger except to protect their own town, so perhaps some oursiders may be of use.

But... being a thieve's guild, can they be trusted to not backstab their town once the Orb has been recovered?

(It's somewhat on the fly, but i hope it turns out all right)

• 2 weeks later...

The small Elf frowned at the piece of paper he held in his hands. /So...they need some help, do they?/ Dayel Shadowdreamer thought, quirking an elegant eyebrow. The slender sorcerer narrowed his eyes. /Dark rumors wander the countryside...of undead walking the sunlit lands./

He stuffed the piece of paper into his tunic pocket. /Sounds intriguing. I might as well check it out./

OOC: EEK! I completely forgot this even existed. It must have been some time since I last was here for a long period of time... Well, it must go on I suppose.)

A large commotion stirs a few of the townsfolk towards the Leyman's Tavern as an all-too-familiar face is once again flung from the innards of the building, his face scraping the dirt harshly. He stumbles to his feet and raises a shaky fist to the bartender and the few strongarms within.

"Yoo shuddn't be methin' wish me! I'm a lot more hethy than yoo think I am! Lemme at anuther drink, willya? C'moooooon!" A boot is promptly thrown at him and it lands in the center of his face, but after it falls, only a dazed expression follows. He seems completely ignorant of his bleeding nose.

"Fine! But when yoo all need my protekshun, dun come runnin' ta me! ... Hi! How ya doin'?!" He glances over at the elf frowning at his paper and stumbles clumsily over to him. His brown hair is long but very tangled and he smells terribly of wine and several other alcohols. "Hi, my name is George! Not really, but i like that name sumtimez! How'd ya like ta help me homw? I just live right over there."

He points to a small house ten feet from their standing spot. The elf starts to open his mouth, but is interrupted.

"Wait! Lemme tell ya sumthing about myself firsht." He says, groping at his 'captives' shirt "My real name is Sintra Karnaf, but most people can't rembr it. I think I said it right. Could ya hit me once, so I'll sobr up a little? Oh... wait..." He rubs his nose and realizes it's bleeding. "Oh, right... a boot hit me. Sorry about that." He pries his own hands off of the elf's shoulders and stands up straight.

"I tend to get a little more than tipsy when i'm drunk, so please forgive me if i disturbed you in any way. As I was saying, my name is Sintra Karnaf, and I'm a member of the local thieve's guild. Everyone in this town is aware of my profession, and they are being tolerant of me thus far because of my task to recover the Orb of Souls. As you can tell, sir elf, I am human, so I can be a tad less graceful than you and a bit more idiotic, but I can prove ot be a reliable assett. Eh... I suppose you might be a little confused as to how someone who was just recently in such a state as I was can be so sophisticated, but alcohol does slur speech and it alters my mood. Oh, dear me, I have been troubling you with this horrid breath of mine and my tattered appearance. Judging from your apearance, I would say you are considering the offer the town has up, so I suppose I will be seeing you again. I have to warn you though... should we end up working together, do not allow me to drink at all... and keep me out of any form of moonlight. There are undesiresble effects. To sum it up, let us just say that i am not the most discrett thief, nor am I the most stealthy assassin. Good day."

With that, he turns and paces to his house.