The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Darkest Shadow

Elwen

Yin and yang, the eternal opposites who work together and against one another to drive the wheel of time: yin, the dark cold female power of destruction, and yang, the light, warm, male power of creation. Ever since the Knights Templar performed a forbidden ritual to bind them to mortal bodies, planning to slay them to end their “threat”, each power has been incarnated many times throughout history.

But now the world stands at a crossroads. An ages-old prophecy states that yin and yang will be incarnated once more in bodies opposite their natures and when this occurs, the world as it is known will come to an end.

OOC: First, the Knights Templar, as a student of history knows, were accused of heresy & destroyed sometime during the Middle Ages. They were a powerful “arm”, as it were, of the Catholic Church. I obviously decided to have them mess with some sort of forbidden magic…just knowing the ritual to bind yin and yang would have been enough, but the fact that they /did/ it…oh boy. Anyway, if you’re interested, post once-but after/before you do, PM me (unless you know me IRL and have talked to me already). I need to know which “side” your character favors-whether you protect yin’s incarnation, yang, both of them, are neutral (for now: you CAN’T fence-sit forever, you WILL have to make a choice), or do they want to destroy them both so that the prophecy will not be fulfilled? Oh, yes, I would like to know their background, personality, and some abilities. Yes, I know I’m mean, but *shrugs*

Here’s the deal with that: neither yin and yang are evil in themselves. Yin is the dark power, the Lady and creator of demonkind, but “she” is as necessary to the world as yang. In addition, destroying them both is an even more uncertain path then allowing the prophecy to be fulfilled, but some people’s fear blind them…so it is up to you which side you favor. But if your character is a demon, then they are automatically drawn to/instinctively protect yin’s incarnation, for if “she” is destroyed now, then their existence ends. That is the one great loyalty all demonkind shares-to their Lady, in whatever form.

And now, to begin…

The Gatekeeper angrily slammed her staff into the stone, sparks flying as the mythril hit the ground.

“The time has come.” she snarled at the demons who lingered in the shadows near her, but speaking to two in particular. The high demoness in charge of the ways between the worlds-of all the denizens of the shadow-worlds, only two had the power to open them and allow others into the human world-without the aid of a human sorcerer, that was. The Gatekeeper was one: the other was their Lady, who was absent once more, trapped in the mortal world…but this time, was different. She was trapped in a mortal body once more, courtesy of those damned Knights Templar and their spell so long ago-long in the span of mortals, short in immortal demonkind-…but this time, everything was coming to a crisis. Everything.

The Gatekeeper-if she had once had any other name, it was lost now in the sands of time-tossed long silver hair, and glared at the two she had been addressing. “Find the one who once was our mistress. Protect him from those who would destroy him. And try not to cause /too/ much trouble. That would draw attention.” she gave them both a stern look. “I mean it, you two. All of /our/ existences depend on this.” she gives them The Look. “And jeopardizing everything would, of course, make our lady unhappy. Remember the last time our lady was unhappy?”

The two demons gulp nervously…that is something they /never/ want to see again. The screams of the last unhappy wretch still echoed in these swirling currents of chaos, for the Lady was not merciful to those who dared cross her-before removing them from existence, of course.

“Good.” the Gatekeeper shoos them. “Go on, don’t waste any time.”

And with that, destiny is set into motion.

A giggling bunch of girls surround another, brightly dressed one in the middle. The one in the middle is vibrant and full of life, seeming to attract people like a light does moths. However, her lovely face is strangely…troubled.

“Akiko, what’s wrong?” one of her (inane) friends asks.

Akiko Kamiya shrugs, tossing her long, pale blue hair. “Nothing, I guess.”

But her words are belied by her eyes, as her gaze shifts to the slender, pretty boy walking moodily down the hallway.

“Ohh…” Akiko’s best friend, Hikaru, says. “Aki being moody again?”

Akiko makes a face. “Tell me about it.” the schoolgirl moans. “He hasn’t spoken to me for a week!”

The two look at Akiko’s black-clad, delicate twin as he walks by without seeming to notice either of them. Aki Kamiya’s face was an identical, perfect mirror of his sister’s, only his (considerable) beauty was remote and icy, not the laughing, bright beauty of Akiko.

The bell rings.

“Let’s go, let’s go, we were late yesterday and all of last week!” Hikaru fairly drags Akiko down the hallway to homeroom.

“I heard our homeroom teacher is a real bitch.” Hikaru commented with a frown.

“Well, we might as well make the best of it.” Akiko said with a smile that was only slightly forced, reaching to touch the doorknob. Her hand grasped the cool metal-

Dark, cold power, utterly foreign and opposite to Akiko, flooded through her. Almost instinctively, warm power coiled through her, up from her soul, to meet it-

Light blazed up under her fingertips until Akiko backed away, violet eyes wide, shaking in fear. What had she just done?

The woman sitting behind the desk smirked at feeling the power she’d set up and the reaction to it.

Yang is here. That means my lady is not far away…

"Aw, c'mon Hikaru, it can't be that bad." Masumi commented as she caught up to her friends, straight, waist-length hair floating around behind her. "You just have to stay out of trouble, that's all. Some of our teachers last year were really nice to everyone else, you just happened to be a little more troublesome than other people. I thought it was funny though."

She sneezed, recalling she had forgotten her coat, the school uniforms not being the most insulating things in the school. "Sorry. I would normally have joined you, but you know me... I'm 'Miss Teacher's Pet'." she comments, her voice dropping at the title she had been given. She hated being thought of as the nice person in school, but she just... was. Home... was a little different though, and Akiko, Aki, and Hikaru knew it.

Flashback...

"Masumi?" Her mother called down, the slight hint of accusation lilting her daughter's name. "Masumi, I'm missing almost fifty dollars! Do you know where it went?"

"No, mom." she commented, a small grin on her face as she pocketed the money. "I'm missing a few things too, mostly CD's and stuff. I think we need a new housekeeper!"

"This is the fifth housekeeper we've tried in the past six months though dear!" she shouted desparately down the stairs, her footsteps drawing near the top of the flight. "We can't afford to keep changing them."

"Isn't it the same as keeping the old one? Their rates are all about the same."

"It's not the money that concerns me, it's the fact that they all look so stricken when I ask them if they've been stealing from me. It's kind of hurtful when someone accuses you of something, you know? I hate doing it to them..." she said, her light brown hair glimmering from the crack of sunlight pouring through the window curtains.

"It's all right mom... There's got to be one out there that won't steal our stuff. C'mon you guys." she said, motioning for Akiko, Aki, and Hikaru to follow.

"Where are you going Masumi? her mother asked inquisitively.

"Hikaru said he was going to take us out to lunch. DO you want to come?"

"What?!" Hikaru exclaimed.

"Don't worry about it Hikaru, I'll pay you back later. What do you say mom?"

"No dear. I'm sorry. I have to get a few things done around the house. Maybe I misplaced the money, that's all."

"You've always told me you were going to pay me back, and I haven't seen a single dime!" Hikaru shouted.

Masumi had shot him a cold glare, but changed it to friendly a second later. "Well, if I had some money, maybe I could pay you back. I'm sad to hear that mom. I'll see you in a few hours."

The three walked out of Masumi's house, Akiko shaking her head. "Have you no guilt?"

"Not really."

(OOC: Sorry for playing your characters a bit ashke... It was a flashback. She is both sides of Yin and Yang, and I had to think of a way to express that. Mrowr...)