The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Grey Rose

Guedirre turns to the other potential candidate. "Well, one of ye at least has some questions. That's good ta hear. There is no catch. You'll probably never come back, but where's the fun if ye don't know the risk? If ye find it... I don't know. Nobody's ever found it before, remember? Or... at least no one's come back. If ye get it, ye either die, or ye get whatever ye want... or at least that's what the tale says. I'm running off of a legend that I'm obsessed with, but i'd rather not die on my own. Their's strength in numbers, ye know? Compensation comes with my rank, since I'm a seargent of the police in the most respected metropolis and power center of the country, I'll get what ye need. And we ain't got a healer... No."

He pauses for a moment, enjoying answering questions. He was never one to interrogate, but he always loved answering stuff.

"Ye'll need some stuff to climb some mountains, and we'll be on a long trip before there... For now, all you'll need is yerself. and trust me? Well, ye don't have to, but ye can ask anyone in this city almost... I'm a really nice guy, and I do almost anythign for my friends. I'm not a supervisor, I'm after something, and we're all equal in this..."

The drow takes this moment to speak. "I know nothing of the /magic/ of life, but I have been studying herbology, if that will suffice." shrouded once more in his black cloak, his reactions are not seen.

The dwarf waves his hand non-chalantly (like me!) "Eh... That'll do. I don't suppose ye know any of the flashy magic, do ye? Like, lightning bolts or the like? I don't normally like those, but I really think they might come in handy about the mountains."

Lissandrien shakes his head. "No. I am a strong sorcerer, but the only magic I was ever trained to use was Necromancy. I do not believe that anything I know will really come in handy."

Guedirre turns, annoyed, facing away from the drow. "Look, I appreciate yer help, but do ye know anything at all besides the Black Magic of the Dead?"

A thoughtful look spreads across his face, and he turns back, smiling his best dwarf smile... not very pretty, but not something one would turn away from in fear. "Wait! I'm sorry. I just thought of somethin'. If there are a lot of dead folks in those mountains... ye can resurrect 'em, right? We could use the Dead to our advantage. Mister... yer my new friend. Ye don't know how important this Grey Rose is to me, just, as i said before... no backstabbin'. I'll run ye through like any other Dark Elves I meet, and I certainly hope ye don't take too kindly to yer kin neither. If they attack, I expect ye to help, or I'll consider ye a traitor and leave ye for dead. Ye understand?"

Lissandrien shrugs, slender shoulders shifting beneath his tunic and cloak. "As I said before, I do not make a habit of backstabbing anyone. To be perfectly honest, /I/ have never betrayed anyone, and do not intend on starting now. In addition, if there is any possibility, I will be attempting to teach myself the light sorcery. I will only use necromancy in a lifethreatening situation, and while I will fight my kin if necessary, I will not take their lives." His violet eyes are intense. "If you are still willing to have me as a companion, then you will have to put up with my little...vow. I swore to never take the life of another of my race. And I do understand."

Lissandrien turns away and pulls out a small satchel. With expert fingers, he searches through the pouches within, looking for a particular herb. Even without seeing the name written in the neat High Elvish runes, he knows what is in each waterproof (or as near as can be...) pouch, and he begins to organize them yet again.

Guedirre turns to his small party, the motly assortment of gamblers and the like and scratches his beard. "Well, it seems ye all are a little bored, shall we go?"

He blinks, his soft blue eyes contrasting with his gruff brown beard. "Yes, let's."

• 4 weeks later...

"Right this second?" she asked, suddenly unsure of whether or not she really wanted to come on this seemingly crazy escapade. But then, what's there left to do here but loose more money...

"But what the heck, lead the way and I'll follow." she said to the dwarf with a gesture of indifference, "Though, it occurs to me that I have yet to introduce myself. I'm called Kail Vernius by most, if that sort of thing matters to you. If it doesn't...well, then that's your problem, not mine."

• 3 weeks later...

Guedirre grunts a random sound to himself in light distaste for the manners the one bfore him is displaying, ubut he shrugs it off. "Well, as ye wish, I shall lead the way. With such a small party, ye do know that we may very well kick the bucket in this mission, do ye not? So, if ye aren't afraid ta die, then follow me."

He leads the small group, including the drow, to the entrance/exit of town, the air sudden;y going from warm morning air to that of winter. "T'is magic that keeps our town warm... I hope ye all have somthin' warm. Our first stop is Tier's Gate, a border guard town that is full of soldiers and spellcasters. I warn ye to not start any trouble, cuz Tier's Gate holds severe penalties... if ye know what i mean." He brings his finger to his throat and mockingly slits it.

The terrain ahead looks fairly flat, the grass unusually green for such cold weather, and several wild beasts can be seen off in the distance... none of which do not have a thick layer of fur or fat. You can see the border town from your position, but only through the small village that appears about five miles away from you. The sun is ot shining over the twon.

Guedirre hefts his axe and tworls his braided beard around slightly. "Wierd... that was never there before..."