The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Reflections of Stars

Elwen

Aural once called Elwen “a riddle wrapped in an enigma.” He said that he got the phrase out of a book he read once, but it suits her. No one really knows her, not even Aural-and he’s her twin, a powerful psionic to boot! I’ve known her for some years now, and even with my Empathy, I can’t figure the girl out. Quiet, gentle, and serene, but utterly fierce in battle: a loving, dutiful daughter and friend who will do anything for those she loves, but also a ruthless enemy who won’t think twice about betraying someone who displeases her. Calm and collected, but also unpredictable and tempestuous. A bright, vibrant person who radiates life-but who would throw their life away without a second thought.

Of all my friends, Elwen is the one who scares me the most. Aural is a fighter…he won’t give up no matter what the odds are, he has this completely unshakeable will to live. So it is with most of my friends…well, except Elwen. She seems to have that, too, coupled with her incredible strategic knowledge…but behind that calm façade is something else. Elwen is too willing to throw her life away to win, or to benefit someone else she cares about. Even the way that her greatest love, Damon Inferel, met her is reflective of it. She had stolen the Mirror of Darkness, a powerful but cursed artifact, because it granted its possessor a single wish, any wish they wanted…for a price. Her beloved elven mother, Amnestria, was dying: Elwen was willing to go to any length to save her…and did not balk at the price the artifact exacted-her life. Not her elven life, /both/ her lives. Damon, who had been sent to retrieve the Mirror, offered to split his life with hers…the mirror couldn’t decide which of them to kill, and it granted her wish and let them both live.

It is like she has a hidden death wish that wars with her will to live. I’m worried that one day, her penchant for self-sacrifice will override her innate survival instinct. She doesn’t let her emotions sway her actions as often as the rest of us do, but when it happens, she is completely driven by it. Elwen simply can’t see anything else while her emotions have her driven. She simply doesn’t realize what effects her actions have on the rest of us. Her friends…those she cares about and those who love her. She would die to protect us, die to atone for all the evil she once committed, as she has tried to do so many times already, she would die without a second thought and without regrets…but what Elwen hasn’t learned, in both her lives, is that no matter even if you die with hope, death is still death. Death is still an end.

• 7 months later...

Meow! you know what, i hope that the "penchant for self-sacrifice" doesn't override thet whole survival thing. I'd like to see my beloved live for an eternity... hee hee. Eh... Well, in any case, a rather aaccurate description of the character i've come to love almost as much as the person herself. (Characters are a little less real, except in the case of 'Tai's warring imagination with Kris...)

I wonder why they're all destined to die... Hn, well, I'll be there to the end, no matter if it's the eprson or the character. I won't leave any of them behind.

(By the way, sorry it took so long to post on this... I'm re-browsing this stuff that you wrote and replying to what i haven't replied to.)