The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Remembrance

Elwen

No, seriously, this isn't as bad as you think it would be from the description. The story starts 35 years before FFX, and it tells the story of the High Summoner before Braska-an original character. Most of the characters in this story are originals (if modeled after myself and people I know), with the older game characters /maybe/ making an appearance. So, without further ado-the story.

~Elwen~

A Guardian tells her story…

Prologue: Looking Back

In the temple in Bevelle, in a hall devoted entirely to remembrance are statues of those that came before and murals of colored glass, depicting those who guarded them, those who fought and lived and died for what they believed.

Colored glass that bears my own face. My friend, my buddy, my adoptive sister: her statue stands in this hall, for she succeeded, she reached the end of her journey. A journey that I came with her on. And in the end, I could not save her. She died to bring the Calm: that was a long time ago, thirty-five years. Her Calm has long ago come and gone, and another High Summoner gave his life to bring another Calm, another death, more deaths in this endless spiral, endless cycle. The cycle goes on: their deaths meant nothing, mean nothing, as the spiral turns and the cycle goes on, the cycle went on.

Memory. Remembrance. Colored glass and statues. Her statue is wrong, all wrong: she was quiet, was sarcastic, but never so cold and aloof. The woman is dead: memory is all that is left.

They call me a legendary guardian, like my nephew, the young fallen monk, aged before his time, the swordsman named Auron, the man who followed a path like mine down to the bitter end. Legendary-just “lucky.”, rather. I couldn’t save my friends: I knew Lynne was gonna die long before she even began her pilgrimage, when she first began training as a summoner, and I thought I had accepted it. All along, it was Scott who fought, every step of the road from when he learned of the price of the Final Aeon, on the last road leading into Zanarkand. But in the end, I tried to stop her.

I failed. I still have nightmares about that last room, standing before Lady Yunalesca, that beautiful unsent woman with a heart like ice, and her words of doom still echo in my mind. All of what we believed in was false. Sin would return, for it was eternal, and every Aeon that defeated it would become Sin in its place. Cruel pointlessness, that whole Summoner’s Pilgrimage. I knew what I had to do. But I was not strong enough to turn them aside. I damned them both, and I cannot save them.

I stood in that room and watched Lynne and her beloved go together, hand-in-hand, into the final darkness, unafraid, and knowing that one would die then, that Scott’s life would be given for the ultimate power and Lynne would die wielding it, for that small span of false peace. I watched as she returned, alone, her sparkle lost and forever changed, an emptiness in her eyes that hadn’t been there before. That was all I could do, watch. Watch as she summoned the Final Aeon, watch as her life ended and her eyes closed in death. Watch the spiral turn and it all happen again.

That was her story. That was his story…Theirs ended.

This is my story. It still goes on…

But how did it begin?

• 8 months later...

Indeed... How did it begin? I read this at a somewhat rapid pace, but i didn't skip a beat. I've got very limited time left at this computer, so I had to speed-read. Truly, I would like to know where this might have gone, and perhaps the muses will once again inspire you to bring the past story, this one, back into the light and under the lihght hands that work with the keyboard in elegant grace. I gotta go now. I do look forward to this, perhaps. A fine job ashke, a fine job.