The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Shifting Terrors

I’m going to go ahead and rewind back to night time, because I wanted to post that whole part where that woman and I go back and forth talking about our selves. Just think of it as the third in a series of old dialogue posts…at least we all know every character’s background, though!

_____________________________________________________________________-

We survived…

I had managed against that one final Syrakk with no problem after I had unsheathed the sword hidden within my staff. The rest was fairly easy--running through the burning night of the forest to the nearest cave, lighting the standard fire, and resting against the most comfortable part of a rock wall you could find.

I can’t say I was tired, because in all reality I couldn’t sleep. I probably could have used it physically, but my adrenaline had risen far higher than any time I could remember. I did rest, though. After setting the man sized fire I sat against the wall of the cave on the eastern side, facing the woman and her child who were located on the opposite side. You could have fit about four men between us; two from either of us to the fire.

Her son, the black haired boy with a bowl cut that reminded me of myself before a certain potion incident, sat curled to her right side in her arm which was reaching all the way around him. He looked more content than either adult, far past any normal sleep, dreaming away at whatever it is children dream. It hadn’t been like that before he fell asleep. Even from here I could notice the dry tears running down his cheeks. His mother was smiling at him with her dark curly hair draping her eyes, just staring. The quiet happiness of the family was enough even to cause a smile on my face, which had been rare most of the evening.

I chose not to interrupt such peace. Anyone who could smile so contently in the midst of all the fires and battles just outside the cave deserved to have it go undisturbed. The mother, however, didn’t feel the same way. She shot her head back up to look straight at me across the fire.

“Do you have a name?” She asked in a half whisper, the same accent I had heard before surfacing.

My eyebrows rose quietly as I blinked at the question. I hadn’t really considered the fact that I didn’t know their names yet.

“Oh, yes,” I responded, also quieting to prevent the boy from waking. “Distarius.”

“Distarius?” She asked curiously, scrunching her nose. “Never heard of a name like that.”

“It was the name I was given,” I said, nodding and looking down at my robes. “Distarius of the White Robes.”

“They name wizards after their robes?” She asked.

“Correct, although that’s not necessarily given at birth. In my case, I didn’t have the white robe suffix until the age of 15.” I explained. “And you?”

“Anaya,” She said. (Ann eye ah), and her eyes once again fell on her sleeping child. “His name is Grison, after his father.”

“Nice,” I said. If nothing else, their names certainly proved that I had no idea where they were from.

“Thank you,” She said, and nodded. “And yours, also quite nice. Didn’t know what to expect in a wizard’s name; never met one.”

“Oh, well if that’s the case,” I smiled. “I’m sorry the first one you met didn’t live up to the rumors.”

“Where I come from there aren’t any rumors of your people. They are mentioned, but never explained.” She said.

I reached for my staff, which was now once again shielded with the wood I had placed back on it after the Syrakk fight.

“That little move I did with the sword hidden in my staff?” I asked. “We’re not technically supposed to do that…ever.”

“Oh,” She said.

“Yes, so if you could keep that to yourself for now—that would certainly help me out a lot. It’s frowned upon quite a bit if we lose our faith in magic for even a single fight.”

“And you don’t have total faith in magic? You don’t believe in it?” She asked.

“Do I believe in magic?” I asked, and looked up for a truthful answer, once again leaning my head against the stone wall. “It really doesn’t matter if I believe in it or not; most everyone else does.”

“But you use it?” She asked with all seriousness. “You do USE the magic?”

“I use the diamond, yes,” I responded, rubbing my hand over the glowing rock lying next to it. “But I’m not always convinced it’s magic…or me for that matter.”

“How so?” she asked.

“Well, I can recite any spell or incantation in the book, but without the staff by me? I get nothing.” I said. “So obviously there’s something to the diamond, but I’m not sure what.”

“Is it the same way for all wizards?” She asked.

“No,” I responded. “No…they seem to be able to use magic on demand. I just…I can’t get a full grasp on it.”

An extended silence filled the room, interrupted only by the occasional crackle of the fire.

“But I do enough to make a good living,” I said, and nodded. “And on that down note, I suggest we get some sleep.”

Like I said before, I couldn’t sleep…and didn’t for the rest of the night. The mother and her child found it no problem.

Yep, I know that was a lot shorter than it should have been…but I’m pressed for time. See ya everybody.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOC: I'm going to do this in third person for a while, otay?

Shadows shrouded the valley. Fog encased the ground and tappered off into the cold night air. Something was curled at the base of a thick oak trunk. The lank form shivered in the night cold, being that it's scant clothing was thin yet it burned with fever. A taller bulkier figure shied and pranced toward it, nudging and nosing it.

The horse snorted, soft clouds of vapor rising from the steamy breath into the cool night. He pranced, hooves muffled on the dirt floor. He snorted again and lowered his long neck to ruffle the dark figure's hair. It stirred and mummbled, tossing it's head to one side. A deep wound dug into its neck, caked and oozing with silver-black blood. The horse went livid and reared. He must find help. He was frantic and shied away, preparing to run. The whites showed all around his eyes and he bolted in the direction of the smell of smoke.

The form relaxed and unfolded. She sprawled her legs and arms and panted. The fever was worsening and sweat trickled down her temples. She breathed heavily and tried to stand up, but her eyes fluttered and she fell back against the tree. He back stung, it-- like every other part of her body-- was covered in scratches and gashes. She sighed heavily and called out with her magic.

~¤~

¤Someone...........¤ The word was faint, almost inaudible. I tried again, taping into my wild magic. ¤HELP.¤ I hoped the words had reached someone. I laced in the emotion of dire pain and urgency into every letter. My head lolled. I was coated in blood. I couldn't move for the pain it would envoke. I twitched involuntarily and began to shiver.

Please find Distarius, Nuimair....... I sent the horse an image of my human friend and blacked out, leaving him with the message.

~¤~

The horse balked away form Syrrak bodies and the devoured horse carcass. He wanted very much for his new rider to live, racing along in the woods. he was sure the fire would be where people were and he bolted to it. He only hoped the white figure would be there as well. He had no other way of telling the humans what he wanted. Jumping over a fallen log, he felt the dragon fading. The use of her strong Wild Magic had opened his mind to unthought thigs and his mind organized. He was able to broaded his spark of imaination and thought.

He cantered faster and came upon a cave, hidden away form view but he knew the terrain well. He galloped over, frothing and panting. His sides heaved and the froth dripped. He came upon one who looked like his image but not exactly. He trotted over and lipped the man's shirt. The white clad human male ooked up, surprised to see the horse. He butted his shoulder with his muzzle and neighed loudly. He pranced and tossed his head to the entrance. Again he lipped his shirt collar until the man stood up. A woman Nuimair had ignored until now looked up and blinked, wide-eyed, shuffling closer to the slumbering human kit.

Nuimair snorted loudly and now bit the mans elbow, pulling slightly. He stood and dusted himself off, trying to communicate with the frantic horse. Nuimair pulled a bit of black clothh off his black leather saddle. He thrust the cloth hard into the mans chest and snorted, shying and arching his neck. The cloth tasted of blood...

The man sniffed it, puzzled with his brows furrowed. Then recongition crossed his facce as sulphur and flmae scents lifted from the cloth. The horse bucked and side-stepped into the human, beckoning that he ride him there. He said quick words to the female and her kit and started to climb onto the saddle. Nuimair vaulted forward without letting Distarius climb on fully. He raced with all his strength to the fading immortal...~~

OOC: I seem to always be the one that gets hurt here!! ^_^

-Ryuu :dragon4:

Well, the syrakk have probably reached Bakurus and they're sitting in the cliffs waiting for some people to eat. The knights and the people of Crystlin are walking through a hidden tunnel and they'll get there in three days. It's almost dawn, Ryuu's dying, Dis left Anaya and Grison in the cave to go get her, and I am completely void of ideas. So go save her Dis, and then maybe we'll flash forward a few days.

I can’t say I was proud of leaving Anaya and Grison behind in the cave, but if the piece of cloth brought to me was any indication, this horse knew where Ryuu was. I hadn’t seen one like this horse during the battle in the city, but then I had only seen very little of what was so obviously a drawn out and bloody battle toward the mountain.

As for the two I left behind, I would go back for them or ensure someone else did. For now, though, I let my friend take priority. The horse paid no attention to the trail, traveling on what it considered the fastest route. I couldn’t complain, we were moving entirely too fast for any twigs or branches to annoy me. Also was the fact that I was leaning so far forward that the horse’s head actually peaked above me and his mane brushed along my face. It was an incredibly smooth ride.

We didn’t reach my companion until after an hour’s ride. It was in a small clearing, not much larger than a cabin. Dried and long since dead leaves of red, orange, and brown were strewn about in a random fashion that almost beckoned to be cleaned. In the middle of it all was the shifter, currently in Elven form…bleeding more than one should. She was lying down, her back to my view as the horse came to a stop.

I dismounted and jogged the rest of the short distance to the shifter. She was obviously unconscious; anyone stepping this close to a sleeping shifter would have already been pounced upon.

When I reached her, I rolled her over onto her back to assess the damage. She wasn’t dead; her body was still warm. Her eyes were shut, which was a much more welcoming sight than a corpse would have been, but her skin was already bruised…a sign that her healing abilities were severely weaker than they should have been. And, of course, there were many open wounds still bleeding.

Once again, I was facing dilemma. A medic would easily be found wherever the knight’s were keeping their position, but I didn’t know where that was. I suspected the horse probably did, but I had no way to go about telling him to go there. They would probably be on the move as well, preventing me from being able to catch up with them.

So, what options did I have? I could try and come up with a spell to heal her…but there was the nagging fact that magic rarely proved so useful.

I shrugged it off and realized my only option. Scooping the elf up into my arms, I paced back over to the horse that was standing, waiting. I climbed on, placing the hurt Ryuu over my lap, and turned the horse back around to the cave.

I was really hoping Anaya would know something, because I certainly didn’t.

Another ride followed, through which I almost lost my grip on Ryuu three times. Of those three times however, only once had I needed to slow the horse. You try carrying a limp body over your lap on a sprinting horse; it’s harder than it looks.

When we reached the cave, Anaya was already standing outside, her son just peaking his head through the edge of it. She looked up at the wounded I carried with me, and nodded.

I was glad to see a knife wasn’t the only tool she carried.

ANAYA BARD

I waited in the cave as birdsong began, prophesying the approach of dawn. I shivered in the cool morning, glad that Grison seemed warm in my arms. If I was brave, it was for his sake. If I was afraid, his childlike faith restored my own. At that moment, I was trying to have faith that Distarius would return. How long should I wait?

I guessed an hour passed, and the sky was growing paler through the trees outside. Our fire needed more wood, but I couldn't risk waking Grison in order to get more. More drowsy waiting followed, during which golden light began to appear, and Grison awoke on his own. He yawned and snuggled against me, then rubbed his sore, tear-stained eyes. A peaceful little smile warmed his face.

"I'm hungry."

"Good morning," I said softly. My voice was usually quiet, but even more so since I was so tired. I stroked his dark hair, seeing traces of his father in him. "I'm afraid we don't have any food yet."

Grison looked around. "Where's the man in the red and white robes?"

"His name is Distarius. He... had to go," I said, and left it at that. Grison looked as if he wanted to get up and play with the fire, but the moment he left my arms he realized how cold it was, and decided to return. I smiled faintly and began to sing an old folk song. Eight-year-old boys don't stay still for long, however.

"Wait. I hear a horse!"

I stopped, my heart catching in my throat. Hoofbeats were indeed approaching, as twigs snapped and leaves rustled. "Wait here," I whispered, standing and brushing off my gown shakily. I reached the mouth of the cave just as the dark horse emerged.

Its head hung wearily. White sweat streaked across its black coat. The mouth hung open, frothing and bleeding from the bit. A fatigued Distarius was mounted on its back with a hand tangled in the mane, the other trying to hold a limp Elvin girl. I stared as he slipped from the saddle, cramped legs nearly buckling. He carried the girl to me.

"How long has she been like this?" I asked, falling in beside him as he carried her into the cave.

"Since sometime last night." His tense voice made mine seem very small.

I didn't have time to send him the look of horror I wanted to send. Distarius gently lay the girl on the floor. I knelt beside her, Grison beside me. Without bothering to explain, I began to examine her.

My husband had been a doctor in Crystlin. Before his own death, he taught me many things. The girl was feverish, probably in order to fight infected wounds. Lifting her eyelids, I saw her pupils were dilated. Breathing was shallow, heartbeat rapid but weak. I pursed my lips. The elf had gone into shock; her vital organs weren't getting enough blood. It was a wonder she hadn't died already. Still staring at the girl, I undid my medical bag and handed it to Grison. He knew what to look for.

"Kneel over there," I said, my voice deceptively smooth. Distarius obeyed, allowing me to position his hands on his lap and then the girl's legs on his hands. I needed most of the blood to flow back to her midsection, where it was needed. Turning back to Grison, I was secretly pleased to see he had found just the right bottle. I scrubbed the elf's cuts vigorously.

"Careful!" Distarius said. I ignored him. Vigor was needed.

Once I had cleaned them as best I could, having Grison hold her arms above the dirty ground, I found some ointment and rubbed this on, as well. These would keep the wounds from sticking to the bandages, which I hurriedly applied next. That done, I gathered the girl's hair away from her face, still hot with fever. If only we had water.

"Will she be alright?" Distarius asked.

"We'll see," I responded. "I really don't know how she's survived this long. But if she has--- keep those legs elevated, please ---she might have a chance of recovering. Just hope she awakes."

"Who is she?" Grison asked.

"Meet my associate, Kokuryuu Flameshifter," the mage said with a nod. "Ryuu for short."

"Ryuu." Grison giggled quietly.

I was more wary. "Flameshifter?"

"She's really a dragon."

Grison's eyes grew wide. I moved to his side. "Say dear, still hungry?"

"Uh-huh."

"Let's go hunting for herbs, you and I."

Grison's one-track mind adjusted immediately. He let out a little cheer and raced for the cave entrance, hesitating only when I called. "I'll stay near!" he promised.

I looked back to Distarius. "You know, women aren't really supposed to be physicians. I'd appreciate it if you kept that to yourself."

He understood. "I never saw your medicine bag, and you never saw my staff."

I smiled and went after Grison. "We'll bring you some food if we find any."

Nuimair's nature seemed to only become more tense and frantic. The frothy sweat gathered at his whithers had mostly evaporated or dripped off when he shook. He was standing now by the fire, which was little more than a pile of sparks. He'd sepnt the early morning wandering in and out of the cave, not wanting to leave his charge but disliking the crampled and damp air of the cave. He watched them handle the elf, but he had no way of telling if it was helping or not. Well, not until now. She was sable at least. He could sense it.

He tossed his head now to try and rid himself of the tack. Stomping muddy fletlocks clean he proceded to picks burrs and swigs from his tail and to try and rub off the saddle on a rock piece. He bit at his flanks and whither to clean them of branch-induced knicks and cuts. He tossed he head and sent his black mane and forlock into a banner of night. He walked over to the elf, head lowered so he could lip her clothing. The gelding couldn't understand how she could sleep so much. He'd only spent about a half hour of dozing in the cave enterance for his rest. He snorted softly, cool vapor rising in a cloud to the air.

He bent his forelegs to sit beside her, then the hindleg to lie down, not something completely comfortable for a horse in full battle tack. He was a runner mostly, not used for his true calling as a war horse. His old master would use him to stand at the side of an enemy confrontation to bark orders and run along the outskirts of the battle. Thus, he didn't wear any heavy metal-plaited pieces and he had freedom to move with ease. Often times he was called Rebel in the stables, but the name meant nothign to him and he found that Nuimair was much more suitable; meaning 'nightmare' in some sort of elven language, if he understood correctly. His first master was a coward, this one was not.

He arched his neck over to sniff her inert face, smelling blood mixed with tears. He flared his nostrils and sneezed, off to the side, not in her face. Shaking his head again he nickered and got up to graze instead. She would be fine he'd heard the humans say, so he wasn't quite as worried now. He heaved his lank body up and sauntered out of the cave to find some lush grass to nibble, though he had to work it around his bit.

~¤~

I felt myself slip back into my body. It was the strangest feeling to be so close to death. Terribly frightening, but at the same time intrigueing and exciting. Now was obviously not my time to go though. I realized I'd not gone to another plane when a furry muzzle scented with hay pressed against my cheek. It tickled and my skin tingled with the soft hairs. I didn't move though. It was a precaution I'd learned from being captured before. Always check your surroundings before getting up. I opened one amber-ruby eye to see Nuimair trudging off out of what seemed to be a cave mouth.

Where am I? I asked him. His head shot up. He pranced back over as I slowly lifted myself from where I was. I was met with a butting nosing in my chestt. I was knocked back a bit but the pain of my wounds was numbed. He nuzzled his narrow face into me and I stroked his velvety cheek. His bosy was warm against mine. My head was still aching I opted to speak aloud to him.

"Well, a fond hello to you too!" I laughed and stroked his neck, finding that he still had on his tack. "Honestly, they can tend to me, but a horse is just another toll to them." I grumbled and used the rock wall to stand up. I laughed as his put his head over my shoulder and nickered again, loudly. I began to unbuckle his bridle only to find part of it was ripped and torn. Ah well, so I'd have to find bareback. I lifted his saddle with some effort and dropped it down with a thud on the ground.

His freedom was well earned. I found a piece of cloth to rub him down, it was a crude cleansing but what was I to do? I still didn't even know where I was! I blinked a few times and looked around the cave. I saw what used to be a fire and noticed the air was chilly. I knelt down to the charred spot on the floor and began to chant. Magic was a harrying thing when one has been unconcious for gods know how long. I swayed a bit and closed my eyes, never brekaing the chant. Flames licked up to the roff of the cave, shimmering first from light blue to a darker cobalt tha to purple and black.

I smiled at my handy work and turned again to see what else could be done. My eyes truned to a form sleeping not to far from where I was, huddled against the wall. That couldn't have been too comfortable. Leaving the horse to go back to grazing, I walked over and blinked to find it was Distarius. He'd found me! Nuimair! He got my message through! I now loved the horse more than ever.

I knelt next to the slumbering mage and went to lightly touch his shoulder. The peaceful look on his face made me stop. He must have been awake a long time. Instead I sat down next to him to wait. I hadn't realized how very tired I still was. I was soon sleeping curled up next to him.

Oh yeah, thank the HORSE. ;)

~¤~

THREE WHOLE DAYS LATER (shocking, isn't it?)

"Jareena!"

I smiled as my aunt pushed through the crowd to hug me, armor and all. This woman had been my teacher, mother, and best friend for as long as I could remember, considering my mother had died when I was two and my father had decided his sister would be the best caretaker. The months at Crystlin had been hardest because we'd been so far away from each other.

Aurelia pulled back and framed my face in her hands. "Oh, let me look at you... Still picking fights with things that are bigger than you are, eh?"

"There are certain advantages to being raised in a fortress with three hundred fighting men," I replied. "Have the syrakk arrived?"

"Yes, two days ago. We saw them coming in the distance and thought it would be best to get all the horses indoors and board windows. Thank the Lord we keep guards near the aqueducts too, or we would never have known. They would have broken in through the frigidarium."

Aunt Aurelia and I stood in the cathedral sanctuary, not far from the secret entrance behind the altar. Men, women, and children poured from the opening, following our fresher knights across the sanctuary to the adjoining halls. The Hold was one giant armory and soldiers' quarters, like a castle. No place was not connected to another. In fact, below us, those with wagons and carts were moving on to the end of the tunnel, where there was a ramp leading up. The horses, oxen, and other livestock could be safely deposited in the stables without ever having to set foot outside. The moment I heard Aurelia's voice, Colin offered to take Brezza for me.

"I took a peek at them once," my aunt continued. "Just hordes of them, covering the mountainsides. Until we think of a way to fight the creatures, we're quarantined here."

"It doesn't make sense. How did they know to come here?" I wondered.

"Perhaps they had some way of following your uncle's trail from the Hold."

"But why would they?"

"Natural instinct, to search for prey. A continuos need to feed."

I frowned. It still didn't explain how they could follow an invisible trail through rocky mountains. Especially since the Hold was in the east, and the people the syrakk were so interested in had been moving down a south canyon in order to reach the tunnel. I was distracted from my thoughts, however, when Aurelia began fussing with my hair. "Look at you, girl. I'll bet you haven't bathed in days. Or slept anywhere suitable for at least that long." She scolded lovingly, and began leading me toward a crowd of women and children.

~¤~

"Hallo! What's this?"

"Hello, Colin," I said, feeling much better and smiling warmly.

He was indignant. "You look as though you've had a bath!"

I ran my hand down my long red hair, now clean and damp and cascading down my back. "The women and children were given the first turn at the frigidarium. The only downside is the aqueducts being closed off from the syrakk. There won't be any clean water until the bugs are gone."

"Oh, how wonderful!" Colin said in a girlish voice, trying to make me laugh again. "Here I am, with bug goo down my back from a battle three days ago. Now dry, and quite itchy. I suppose I have to wait until the women are through... might be about... five days... then clean myself with six hundred other men. What could be more glorious?"

"It's a sacrifice you'll have to make as a knight," I said with regail air. "Ladies first."

"Hmmm. It must be terribly convenient, being a lady knight."

"That it is," I said, sweeping past to head for my quarters. "Now, I have to see what terrible things have been happening here in my absence. You soldiers haven't been taking advantage of my room, have you?"

"Of course not!" Colin said in mock outrage.

I opened the door, holding my breath as I peered in. I sighed. Everything was just a I'd left it. I stared for a moment at the bedroom I'd known almost all my life. The same tapestry above my four-post bed, the same needlepoint on the wall:

There are good ships and there are wood ships,

the ships that sail the sea.

But the best ships are friendships,

and may they always be.

I moved to the wardrobe to withdraw some left-behind dresses. I guessed there would be scores of women (not to mention children and men) in need of spare clothing. A few of them, at least, could be satisfied. Come to think of it, I would most likely be sharing the room as well.

Colin entered behind me, looking around. Needless to say, he hadn't been in my bedroom much, and he was always looking for something new to tease me about. He had four months to make up for. "What's this? A hope chest!"

I whirled around just as he was peeking inside. "Excuse me! Get out of there!"

He continued to peer inside. "Oh, wouldn't it be awful if I saw all of the..." he paused dramatically. "Emptiness!"

I swept over and slammed it shut. "Rude."

"Not planning on marriage, I see."

"What man would want to be married to a woman who can fight better than he? A sword and the Lord, that's all I want. Besides, I have trouble imagining a mother of ten charging into battle."

"Hmph! You never saw my childhood home."

Many soldiers gave up their cots that night. People were sleeping on sanctuary pews, in stable stalls, in hallways, on floors, slumped in chairs, stretched on dining tables. I had two widows and eleven children sharing my room, most of which were too rowdy to be afraid of the unseen evils outside. Some had seen horrors and stared into space silently. Others had seen horrors and made it an excuse to be brats. A precious few had somehow been shielded from the carnage and just wanted to sleep. No one could go outside, open a window, or open a door. But I managed to peek through some boards once.

It was worse than Aurelia had described. The mountains were black! They seemed alive, crawling with buzzing, hungry, restless shape-shifting terrors. I had never seen anything like it before. This was worse than a raid from mountain thieves. Who could fight things like this? How could they be kept out for long? What was stopping them from dive-bombing the cathedral's stained-glass windows? I went through all attacks in my mind--- flaming arrows, hot oil, hand-to-hand combat, catapaults... it all seemed useless against something like this. We would have to think of something new altogether. Before we ran out of food.

I looked out again. I was about to turn away when something caught my eye. It could have been nothing, but I didn't want to risk it. I stared for a minute or so at the exact same spot. A twinkle of light! White, glittering like that of a blade or a mirror. It appeared nowhere else. What could that be?

I would have to tell my uncle about it, if he even found time to speak with me.

2 Days before Jareena’s Post

I awoke to the quiet warmth of the cave, still huddled with my knees up to my chin and my hands rested on them. My forehead had a red imprint on it from where I had been resting it on my arms, and there wasn’t any feeling anywhere near that region. My bangs had once again fallen into my eyes, and I wiped them out of the way, deciding at that point that I would cut it much shorter the next chance I was given. It was a rare style…frowned upon. The cave had an extremely large and dark fire brewing… considerably larger than the one I had lit so that Ry…

She was next to me, asleep as well. The spot she had occupied in the middle of the cave was empty, save the horse which was still keeping an eye on us. I smiled at it, and it flared its nostrils. I looked over at Ryuu, whose head was resting on my shoulder. The serenity of it was ironic, given the battles raging just miles away. As for our location, the Syrakk threat had almost completely vanished, save seeing a few fly overhead every so often.

Given my companion’s comfort, I was limited in movement. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t enjoying the moment, though. My eyes didn’t move off of the shifter until the light from outside the cave flickered on the walls. I turned toward the entrance to see Grison peak his head back through the cave, looking back and forth to check for us. His eyes widened and his mouth dropped when he saw the incredible flames of the fire. I lifted a hand to signal that I was awake, and he walked in. Before he spoke, I raised my index finger over my mouth to signal that he should stay quiet, and then gestured to Ryuu. He nodded.

“My mother says we have enough food for five days,” he whispered, getting down to his knees to face me, ending up several inches below me actually.

“Five days, huh?” I asked, using my most chipper tone of voice. “Good food?”

“Well,” the boy spoke. “There’s only so much we could find in the forest, ya know. But she said she found enough herbs and stuff to make a good stew.”

“That’ll be more than fine. Does she need help bringing it all here?” I asked.

“No, I tried to help but she told me to just go into the cave.” The boy continued, and trotted on his knees over to my free side; my left side. He turned around and propped himself against the cave wall, bringing his knees up to his chest to match mine. He leaned forward, though, and looked at the sleeping elf.

“Who’s she?” He whispered.

I turned my head to comply with the kid, as if I didn’t know who he was talking about.

“Oh,” I said. “Her name is Kokuryuu. You can call her Ryuu if you want.”

“She’s an elf,” He said, obviously not having heard my comments about her earlier.

“You’d think so,” I said, and got closer to his ear to make it look like I was telling him a secret. “But she’s really a dragon. She can change her shape, ya know.”

“I wish I could do that,” The kid said, his eyes widening again. “That’d be fun.”

“It certainly would,” I said. “You can meet her when she wakes up. But for now, we’d better quit talking before we wake her up.”

“Okay,” He said, and leaned his head back against the wall. Obviously tired from his walk through the forest, he soon fell asleep as well.

Anaya came back through the cave entrance a short while later, wielding an armful of leaves and vegetation I couldn’t make out from my distance. I nodded to her, and tilted my head toward the sleeping child, and then back toward the slumbering shifter. Her face almost instantly became bitter.

“Oh don’t even try to come up with an excuse,” she whispered, bringing her folded arms up to exaggerate her situation. “You’re going to help me with this stew, now…”

I raised my eyebrows, and prepared myself for whatever injury might be instinctively dealt to me should I wake my companion. I would work it in some other day how elated I was that she had survived.

1 Day before Jareena’s post.

The four of us sat around the cobalt flame in the center of the cave, being fueled by little. Across from me was Grison, contently sipping at his stew through one of the bowls I had constructed from a few leaves. To my left was Ryuu, who did nothing more than stare and sniff her bowl for quite a while. Remaining was Anaya to my right, sipping at her own stew almost as rapidly as her son. I was almost done myself, my stomach finding it difficult to adjust to even the lightest food after so long a fasting. The horse was slurping the rest of the stew in the corner, free of any riding gear.

When all were finished, save Ryuu who finally began to give the stew a chance, I mentioned the subject of how long we planned to stay in the cave.

“Ryuu, do you think you could fly us to the hold?” I asked, her eyes lifting and catching mine.

“Yes,” She said after a few seconds of hesitation. “I could get us there pretty quickly, actually. But once we get there the Syrakks wont waste any time tearing us to pieces.”

“But you could get us there fairly quick?” I asked again, calculating how much time we had before the bugs were expected to attack.

“Within a few hours’ flight,” She said. “It’s about three and a half days on horseback.”

“Wait,” Anaya interrupted. “I’m not going anywhere dangerous. This cave seems more than enough for us to be safe.”

“And it probably is,” I said, glancing back over to her. “But I’m not going to sit back and watch a battle I helped create. We have to go,” I said, looking back at Ryuu. The shifter shrugged in response.

“But do we have to go,” Anaya asked, gesturing a hand to her son.

“No,” I started. “No, I suppose not. The hold is much safer, however. It also houses baths and clothes…a more comfortable place to sleep.”

There was quiet consideration for a short period of time, during which I simply looked back and forth among the others around the fire, noticing that Grison was doing the same.

“There are more of those bugs outside the hold?” Anaya asked, obviously considering how nice the simplest of luxuries sounded at this point.

“Yes, possibly thousands,” I said. “But I believe if Ryuu can fly us close enough…I can get us there without being seen.”

“Magic?” Anaya asked.

“Yes,” I said, and nodded at her, “Magic; a cloaking spell.”

“Dis, I…”Ryuu started.

“We can do it,” I restated, trying to convince myself more than anyone else. “We’d make it.”

Another quiet consideration fell upon the crowd, but before the evening of the next day Ryuu had shifted into a dragon large enough to carry the entirety of our party, including the horse, through the skies to the hold.

"I don't see why we're---"

"Ssshh!"

The library, with its dim lighting and towering dusty shelves, was directly next to the sanctuary. We could hear Latin hymns echoing through the drafty corridor. If Colin wanted to complain, he could do it quietly. Like I did.

"There must be a more detailed map somewhere!" I hissed, climbing a tall wooden ladder.

"Even if there are trails on that ridge," Colin said, "why would anyone be up there with the syrakk, hmm?"

"Maybe we'll find out." I dropped several heavy books into his arms.

Colin buckled under the weight and grunted, "That's enough! That's enough for now!"

I jumped from the ladder as Colin stumbled over to a table and dumped the books onto it. They landed with a resounding THUMP, causing both of us to cringe. I looked at the worn leather binding and hoped we wouldn't be the ones to shred it completely.

"You start on that one on the top," I whispered, waiting for him to lift it off so I could read the second book. There were many outdated maps of the world, some so old that Crystlin was called Krystallin, others so old that the lordcity wasn't even on the map. But somewhere in there, there had to be a detailed portrayal of the north ridge. I didn't want to risk dismissing that light when it could mean something. Colin complained, but I think he felt the same way. This was his home as much as mine.

"I suppose your uncle is too busy to be bothered with this," he whispered as he turned yellowed pages.

"He's been pouring over new battle plans with his favorite officers ever since he got back," I responded. "Aunt Aurelia says she hasn't even seen him."

"Serious business," Colin shrugged.

We searched for the next three hours. I could tell Colin wanted to go, but he didn't, even though he had good reasons. Colin couldn't read, so oftentimes I checked the table of contents and wrote down what pages he was to search through. For instance, p. 256-322. Neither of us talked about it. Colin isn't so proud of it.

My eyelids were drowsily drifting shut as I stared at yet another map, when Colin slowly looked up. "I think I found it," he said softly.

Stuck between skepticism and getting my hopes up, I stood and walked around the table to stand next to him. He pointed to one of the many lines traveling up the north side of the pass, very near to the place where the Hold was now built. A tiny dot waited at the end of the line.

Colin squinted. "Are those words?"

"Can't tell."

He bolted across the room and came back with a magnifying glass, handing it to me. I bent over with it, squinting my strained eyes. "Zoe... Theos." (Zo-ay Thay-oss.) Colin and I looked at one another. "What on earth?"

Placing my hand on the book to hold the page, I lifted the leather cover. "This map book was written by ancient Greeks!"

"That's just barbaric!" Colin thundered. His voice echoed through the library, and I glared at him. He cleared his throat and whispered, "Can you translate it?"

"Do I look like a theologian?"

"Well..."

We both stopped when an old man in brown robes entered the reading area. He wasn't particularly round, as most people imagine, but he did have the standard bald spot in the middle of his head, and a rope tied loosely about his waist. "Father Berak," I said quietly.

"What's all the ruckus?" he asked, equally quiet, and made his way toward us.

Colin and I glanced at one another. "Do you know Greek?" Colin asked.

"Of course. Well, not as well as I might... I know ancient Greek, that is. The entire New Testament was written in it, as that was the common language at the time."

"What does zoe theos mean?" I asked.

Father Berak looked confused. "Why, literally speaking, it means life god."

Colin and I exchanged glances again, confused. I bit my lip. The monk arched a brow. "May I ask what's going on?"

I carefully turned the book on the table for him to see. The man reached for some gold-rimmed spectacles and frowned at the contour lines of the mountain. "I saw a light last night. Here."

"You looked outside?"

"Only a peek through the cracks in a board--- I didn't open anything!"

"Hmm." Father Berak took the magnifying glass from my hand and frowned deeply. "Zoe Theos. An interesting name for a little cave. An interesting place to see a light, too, when the ridge is covered with syrakk."

"Have you any idea why that trail is there?" Colin asked.

Father Berak straightened and shrugged. "Probably an old dwarf mine that didn't produce. Perhaps you saw the reflection of an old pick axe."

"But, Zoe Theos..." I protested.

Father Berak held up his hands in surrender. "I'm sorry. That's all I know... aren't you supposed to be training for battle?"

"Yes sir. Right away, sir," Colin said, very military.

Father Berak chuckled quietly and turned to go. "Yes, yes... get on with you."

"Come on," Colin whispered, reaching for my arm. I pulled away.

"I still have one more thing to look into. Zoe Theos."

"Jareena..." he whined.

"Go practice your drills, if you miss them so much."

Colin glanced back at the retreating monk. He looked at me, and the you-know-I'm-right expression on my face. He sighed. "But if there aren't any pictures, I won't be much help!"

"Just look for Greek symbols on the covers." His shoulders slumped, and he nodded. As we split up to scour the shelves, I took a deep breath and tried to find a bright side in all this. Perhaps this was merely the bright side to all the translation exercises I used to do as school. That had been with Latin, however.

There was a faint scraping sound, like claws. Perhaps it was four metal-tipped shoes tapping stone at once. That wasn't so peculiar, in a place full of knights, but something made me stop. Had that sound come from the courtyard? I leaned into an aisle and hissed, "Colin!"

He trotted over as quietly as possible. "What?"

"I thought I heard something in the courtyard."

"That's ridic---" he stopped. "Syrakk?"

I shrugged and took a few steps toward the barricaded door, craning my neck to hear. Colin held my arm to keep me from getting too close. There was a stretching sound... I knew it was familiar, as if I'd heard it before, but I couldn't place it. The sound continued for several moments, while I racked my memory...

Shifting. It was the sound of a shifting body!

The door handle glowed, and the wooden beam blocking the door split in two. Quietly, it began to open.

I was closer, and broke forward to push it shut. It gave for a moment, but then refused to budge. Colin reached it next and began to help me. Something we couldn't see pushed back. My feet slid on the stone floor. Something invisible was trying to enter!

Our opposition suddenly ceased, and the door was free to close. SLAM! Colin and I stumbled forward. Then our intruders became visible.

"You!"

"Surpr---" I clamped my hand over the mage's mouth before he could say anything. Colin glanced back in the direction Father Berak had been, then looked back at our four visitors in confusion.

"Oh yes," he whispered. "The mercinaries Lord Mayor called yesterday. Right?"

"Unfortunately," I grumbled, pulling my hand from Distarius's mouth.

"I should have known better than to expect a warm welcome," Distarius smiled, having realized he was to keep his voice low.

"And you are...?" Colin looked at the woman and child.

"I am Anaya Bard, and this is my son Grison. We are from Crystlin."

"It is an honor to meet you. I am Sir Colin." He bowed, and I tried not to roll my eyes. "May I see the two of you to a safe resting place?"

"That would be nice, thank you."

The remaining three of us waited while Colin strode off with the pretty widow, holding her son's hand. I looked at the mage and now-humanoid dragon with a raised brow. "Well?"

"You didn't think we were going to run from a battle," Ryuu scoffed, her smile somehow reminding me of a dragon's grin. I looked--- oh, sharp teeth. "This is still our job."

"What are you going to do?" I asked dryly, but couldn't think of a further taunt.

"We'll think of something," Distarius smiled. "We got in without them seeing, didn't we?"

"How do you know?" I asked. "The syrakk don't seem to be very smart, but that doesn't explain how they got here ahead of us. Something else is going on. And I don't think it's a coincidence that they're all on the north ridge."

"I'm lost," Ryuu said.

"Well, I'm not supplying information until you give me a reason to believe you'll be any help."

"Three can play that game."

"Then the three of us shall play." I bowed with flourish and turned back to the library shelves--- then hesitated. I looked over my shoulder. "Have either of you heard of the life god?"

Distarius smirked. "Now you're asking us for information?"

I didn't answer. I just walked away.

Okay, we'll wait! Um... you wanted to be the bad guy, right? I was thinking he could control other people's magic or something... well, jut my thoughts. And hey I know I skipped a lot for you guys, so if you want to go back and do it that's fine.

Take care!

OOC: I've got the whole link to the god and the evil guy all planned out! Leave it to Ryuu!

"The life god? Life god..... Seems familiar. Draconic lore is very old and not so far from the truth as human history. We are a very old race. you might do to listen, human kit." I sighed and strecthed, folding my arms behind my head. "i never should have left my home set. This is not worth my time." I strode off through the library, taking it upon myself to look around for interesting books. I yawned again and ran my fingers along some book bindings. The dust that arose made me sneeze vehemently, almost falling on the floor.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, snuffled and looked up. Distarius was at my elbow, looking down on me, brows knit together. "Are you alright?"

I nodded, hair falling in my face to hide it. I bit my lip-- the hair thing was such a girlish HUMAN habit. I looked up and him, long lashes veiling amber-ruby eyes, chewing my lower lip. I felt a bit uncomfortable, and cracked all ten knuckles as I did when I felt this way. "I'm fine...thanks." I turned on one heal and continued down the passageway. I sigh deeply and muttered to myself. I didn't look back at the mage I left standing there, figuring he'd just go back to what he should be doing. My back felt cold as if someone was staring at me.

I turned a corner quickley and got myself lost in the miles of books. I ran along side of them, scanning their names very quickly. I then leaned back on the shelves, sighing and biting a thumbnail. I crossed my arms and sighed. Staring at the ground before me I scanned the books absently. Something caught my eye--an interesting book. It had the insignia of a Great Wyrm on the binding. The book itself was night blue and the sinuous enrgaving was red with it's great jaw opened in a snarl.

I knelt to pick the book up. The writing was in arcane symbols, ones I'd never seen before. I grabbed it up from where it was and raced to the nearest table. I skidded around a corner to drop the book down and sit down. I opened the cover, the curiousity of a hatchling etched in my face. I ran my fingers down a beautifully designed illustration of a silver dargon. The same arcane runes were scratched along the page. I tried to read these. Racking my brain for the memories of my learning years they came to me. I started to read aloud, but quietly under my breath.

"... Silvarius Draconis... One of the first draconic lords. Believed to be one of the many that descended from Draco, the first dragon, Silvarius was slain by humans, but his sacrafice was not in vain. Through the willingness of his death, mankind was able to see the light that shown in the silver's heart-- one of truth and honor. The silvers around him at the time began to weep, somehting the men of the earth had never seen a Great Wyrm do. They agreed to unite with the ancient beasts, instead of killing off the race of creatures that had inhabited this world since long before the bipeds had arrived. Thus an alliance was raised between the most willing silver and the human knights to fight as one in the air. The mixed arcane arts and human steel to do battle against the worlds many evils."

I turned to page to find a whole flight of silver dragons with knights astride on their backs wielding shinning lances. I smiled softly to see such peace and friendship between these dragons and knights and glanced back at Jareena, who was condusting a search of her own. A frown tugged at my lips and deepened when she glanced up at me as well, scowling.

I went back to my book. The next page held a gold, then a bronze, then a brass. All the known metallic dragons were in the front. In between were yellows, purples, grays and tans. Then, in the chromatic section, it had the picture on the binding only larger and more complete. I read up on the Great Red Wyrm. I noticed that each color represented in this book had descended from Draco. He himself was apparently a dragon of all colors and none. I also noticed that each great wyrm was named with Draconis as well. It wasn't the same as most human kits are named--but similar in respects. If a child was born a girl their lastwould be their fathers plus "sri". If it were a boy it would end in "sra". for example if a man named Scanra had a boy his last name would become Scranrasra. It was all too complicated for my caring. Dragons now have one draconic name dna one mortal name. Simple and clean.

I turned the page to find the next most chromatic dragon... a black. In an excitement as with the silver, I read it aloud in a whisper.

"Sabeline Draconis... One of the many terrors of her kind, this nightshade lived among the swamps. She came from her musky mud lair to terrorize humans in their villages, plague forests with her acid breath and destroy lives with graceful strokes of her finely pointed claws and fangs. Although one might find such creatures as these chromatic dragons pure evil, one cannot deny the terrible beauty of their nature. Know to men as Sable, this black creton almost destroyed all life around her. Before being brutally slain by mortal men, this creature spawned many of her kind and they now flourish in their greedy ways all over the world."

I turned th page and almost lost what meager things I'd eaten in the last few days. Instead of showing her in her prime and glory, whoever illustrated this tome decided to be tactless and draw an image of her dimise.... She was in terrible agony from the expression on her face. I stomach knotted and I felt a bit woozy. This was terrible. I could see the fear and excruciating pain and above all the anger in her eyes. The artist may have been tactless but he knew his art very well. I cringed and shut the tome as fast as I could. Dust arose again sending me into a fit of sneezing.

I walked over to where the lady knight was seated, sorting through books and other compiled notes. I ahnded her the book and opened to the page with Silvarius.

"You should read this, Lady Faye. It's very educational in the ways of human and draconic relationships."

Sitting across from her, scanning books as well was a new knight. He was young, almost too young to be anything more than a squire. He caught me looking at him and smiled from ear to ear. His hair was a a tuft of curly red-orange hair and he had a smattering of freckles across his nose. His emerald eyes were alight with curiousity. He actually reminded me of the Lady knight seated across from him. i snuffed and began to walk away to find anything on this "Life God". the fact that it made my mind itch as if I should knwo him irritated me.

"Excuse me! Um.....Eh....What was 'er name..." I turned back to see the young kingth stumbling over my name.

"Ryuu." I offered and turned around. "What do you want?" I crossed my arms across my chest and tapped one foot lightly on the ground, looking very impatient. He was apparently undaunted. He pelted me with a stream of questions.

"Are you really an elf? Jareena says your not, but I can't believe her anymore! Are you a dragon, like she said? What kind are you? Are you evil or good? I always wanted to be a dragonrider! I wanted to join those ranks but my father said I had to remain here, well in Crystlin that is. Anyway, can I see you shape-shift? she also said you do that, but I won't be convinced until I see it!"

He finally stopped talking. My head was throbbing with the tumult of talk. " I am a dragon. A sivler and black one. I am not evil or good. I shape-shift but I'm not up to demonstrations. Good day, kit."

"I'm not a kit.... What's that? Hey! Wait!" I'd started to walk away. " I just wanted to say Hello! I think its neat to be both of something yet nothing... By the way, my name is Korrin."

Something about waht he said made me spin around. I muttered under my breath in a daze,"...To be both of something yet nothing...." It dawned on me waht that god was.

"Jareena! Distarius! I know the life god!" I had spoken too loudly and got a reproachful glare from Jareena, but both of them came over to me with earger look in their eyes.

"Well...." Jareena coaxed.

"The life god... he is niether life nor death but both. You've Korrin to thank for getting me to remember that"--The boy's eyes grew wide and sparkled as he puffed out his chest in pride--" This god is one of the Higher, more ancient gods. Worshiped by my ancestor and the first of all dragons--Draco. He was the dealer of life and death but had to work through vessel on this world to do his business. That is why dragons were created. The Metallic and Neutrals and Chromatics all dealt soemthing. The metallics were the life-bringers, defending the innocent and helpless and learning healing spells to save the dying righteous. Neutrals ballanced the good and evil. They mostly dealt judgement but did not carry out such deeds. The Chromatics were mostly lawful and everyone in their view as righteous, honrable and otherwise "good" were put to a quick death by these Wyrms.

This life god used the dragons as his tools--immortal vessels. Well, we were wrongly name immortals because we live forever unless slain or killed accidentally. I s'pose we are immortal compared to common mortals such as humans, but we aren't as divine as gods. I'm getting off track now... This god was revered among men as a just god and he was worshiped and temples were put in place for him. But soon he lost control of his dragons that were not in the divine realms with him. Some became unruly and isolated and others meddled too much in mortal affairs, killing for the joy of the hunt instead of just reasoning. It was then these great wyrms in the tome I handed Jareena became legendary."

I shuddered at the thought of the pictures in the black's section. I took a deep breath, eyes flashing crimson.

"Why are you asking, Jareena?" I looked at her with a querying gaze.

"I saw a flash of white light over in the cliffs, in a cave. I checked on a map"--she produced the tattereed yellowed map--" It was called Zoe Theos, life god in ancient greek. "

"Is it possible that this cave was an old temple to the god?" Distarius asked, having been silently absorbing the information the whole time. I look at him for a moment, considering.

"Yes...It very well could be." Jareena said.

"There is only one way to find out!" I pointed out with a wolfish grin. I tunred to find my packs that had a magical enchantment on them and appeared when the right words were spoken. With and shrug from Distarius and a sigh from Jareena, both agreed my way was the only way to trully find out. I spoke the magicked words and traced a rune in the air with a glowing finger. My pouches glittered into existance and I searched through for suitable clothing to change into.

"Where can I go to change?" I asked the Lady Knight, who only gave me a glare as if she thought it was a jest. I sighed and rolled my eyes and turned to Korrin. He stood near me, eyes glittering, smile wide and flashing. I grinned to see such boyishness in the teenager's eyes. "Do you know where I might find some private, closed quarters?" He nodded and began to trot off. I followed with quick strides, retracing the rune to make my pack disappear.

Now dressed in black breeches and boots, a long black tunic with silver trim over a silver silk shirt, I re-entered to library to find Jareena in full armor and Distarius in new robes. I had a cloak folded over my arm and Korrin tailed me into the room. I shook it out and swirled it over my shoulders. It was a long black fabric heavy cloak. I fastened it with a brooch in the shape of a bloodbdrop. The garnet in the brooch was set in silver and was cut in a sunburst fasion making it seem like a sun of blood red.

"Shall we?" I asked, pulling on leather gloves. We all started to walk to the stables where Nuimair, Brezza and a random horse for Distarius could be tacked and ready.

I stopped half way there. "Well this is pointless. Why don't I just fly us there? Horses might be killed by the Syrraks for being too slow but I can cloak myself and fly faster than they run."

Jareena was apprehensive but I pressed the matter. She finally caved in.

Outside now, I shifted into my full dragon form. The two of them seated themselve between my shoulder blades and I looked back to the Lady knight.

"You'd best hold on tight. I try my best to make the ride smooth for you, but sometimes I forget I have riders." I smiled wickedly and took off, the jolt of wind and surge of my body made Jareena clutch tightly with her knees and hug close to the mage, who was accustomed to my flying. I laughed and put a cloak on us, trying to be quiet. The claoking spell may make us invisible but sound and movement could be detected by other means.~

OOC: Other means could be bat hearing--since they use sound to make pictures in their mind or anything that can see heat---kind of like elf vision!

Whoa, can we back up? I was planning on doing one more little scene in the Hold, a conversation with that monk cuz he's bad apples... it could work while you're changing. Ehh. But then things would look messed up. I'm sorry I know it really doesn't matter but can you just edit that post quick, cut it in half, let me post, then post the last half about us leaving? Yeah. I'm insane.

Hey, how did you know I was gonna revert to your full armor design? :lol:

Oh well I'm evil, aren't I? I held the whole thing up for like two days. :blush:

I let the dragon stroll off, and couldn't decide which emotion to express on my face... distate, frustration, or resign. By now, I didn't know what to do. We would probably have to leave soon, before the regiment noticed I was missing. If I hadn't already. Father Berak had already told me to return to my training, and I was disobeying him. The only thing, or Person, he put before duty was God.

Hmm. That last thought gave me an idea. If God came first, the father wouldn't mind if I asked him some questions...

Completely forgetting about Distarius, I turned from him and marched out of the library. Across one narrow corridor were several arched doorways, separated only by pillars, leading into the sanctuary. Many people from Crystlin with nothing to do were sitting reverently in the pews, listening to the monks' Latin songs. I was smugly surprised. After the months I'd spent in that city, I had thought they cared nothing for faith.

Father Bakurus was standing near the altar, leafing through a heavy Bible. I approached him slowly, wondering where I would begin... Light from the stained glass window fell on me, and I stopped momentarily to look up at its colorful glow. A red, thorned rose was at the center of the window, coiled around a silver sword. It was our banner. Written directly above the blade were the words, "Lord, I thank thee a thousand times for the roses; let me also remember to thank thee for the thorns."

I'd read those lines a thousand times. But now they had meaning... I reminded myself that trials only developed perseverance. That was what gave me the courage to step up behind Father Berak to whisper, "Excuse me..."

He turned as if surprised, lifting his spectacles in one hand. "...Jareena? I believe I told you to return to the training grounds..."

"It concerns God," I said, knowing that would stop him in his tracks. "Right and wrong."

"Oh?"

"The mercinaries my father called in. You know about them, the dragon and the mage?"

"Have they decided to come after all?"

Something about the look on his face made me want to lie. Not wanting to confront that confusing feeling at the moment, I pressed, "Was that wise of him? To hire them, I mean... after all, they use magic, and that's not of God."

Father Berak smiled and chuckled softly. " 'Magic' is really only a word, Jareena. Power is real."

"I'm only confused because they seem to want to help, but magic, er power, only makes things complicated, and they believe such outrageous things about false gods and magic diamonds and vessels and what-not..."

Father Berak silenced me with one hand, then motioned for us to sit at the communion rail. I knew he would have an answer to silence my rambling questions.

"I cannot detect lies, Jareena. But I can tell you the truth. There is a right and wrong. What few understand is that the two are eternal. They never change. They are always there, exactly as they always were. The 'gray' areas are not neutral, simply hard to discern. Neutral power does not exist. Because the earth is constantly being contended for between two forces, there are only two places power can come from--- God or Satan. Now, if dragons are created with what they like to call magic, then I see no reason why it is evil, unless of course that dragon uses its abilities to deceive and destroy. As for the mage's power, it may be of the Father, but seeing as Distarius doesn't know Him, I doubt it... In which case, he is in serious danger. Look for the source of the power, daughter. Remember that 'Satan can disguise himself as an angel of light'. 'Be careful, keep calm, and be not afraid. If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all.' "

"Thank you," I said.

"Now, perhaps you should return to your training. We do not know what our enemy could be planning, and they may strike at any moment."

"Planning?" Syrakk can't plan...

"Eh... who knows how smart they are."

Something about Father Berak was frightening me, and I didn't like that. I'd known him all my life. He was a man of God. Why was I suddenly so suspicious? Was it because he'd unintentionally inclined me toward those mercinaries, and so I was already farther from God? I decided not to tell him what was going on, making my good-byes and stepping away from the altar. I caught sight of Distarius in one of the pews, and frantically motioned for him to leave before the father saw him. He shrugged and stood...

To Dis: I think you wanted to do something here too, so feel free to flash back...

“But you use it?” She asked with all seriousness. “You do USE the magic?”

Those words lingered. They lingered through the stay at the cave; they lingered during the fight to save Ryuu’s life; they lingered on the trip to this hold…

They lingered still, now pulling my full attention as I sat on the sanctuary. Mixed in among others I did not know, but all of which knew of me. Not one of them commented, however—obviously failing to recognize me by face.

Having snuck in while Jareena’s back had been turned, I went quickly to the left side and sat down in one of the many wooden benches. With both the father and Jareena occupied, it hadn’t been too hard to sneak a seat. I sat between two other civilians, one of which had a very peculiar smell. I figured he probably hadn’t had a bath in several days. I shook off the immediate sickness and sat down; looking around to make sure no one was paying any real attention.

With silent prayers about, and the quiet interruption of Jareena’s conversation with the Father, I hunched over, letting my hair collapse over my face. I brought my arms up to my chin, and clasped my hands together. My eyes shut and I asked for help, keeping myself as quiet as possible.

I asked for more than I should have, I think; a selfish prayer, maybe. I asked for the continued friendship and health of my companion and I first off, something I wasn’t entirely concerned with. However it keeps me from starting off with the self involved stuff. I asked for the safety of the hold, and its inhabitants. Lastly, I asked for forgiveness—forgiveness for my use in magic.

I found myself doing that every time I prayed, as of late. In earlier times, I wouldn’t have even acknowledged Him…trusting my own fate to nothing but my own power…and that of the diamond encased in my staff. But as most false things go when you find faith, magic suffered.

My connection with magic used to be strong…it used to be a lot easier to do. As of late…ever since ‘it’ happened, I slowly began to lose my power. Limited now only to the power of the staff and whatever chemicals I could pass off as potions, I continue to keep the act up.

But my regression in the world of magic stopped there. It stopped when I lost all power but the staff. It was okay by me, the staff could do anything from simple fires to converting a human to pure energy and back.

As to why I had stopped regressing, I do not know. Perhaps, throughout all that, the Lord had allowed me to keep my protection…maybe the diamond was His, too. It was a strange theory, but possible.

Before closing my prayers, I prayed for Ryuu once again. More than anything for her to one day have a connection with Him…so that my own would not have to stay hidden.

So, after I had finished my prayers and closed my conversation (which I skimmed over in this story given its actual complexity), I glanced up to see what the situation. If it were applicable, I would read my own translated copy of the book. I didn’t see Jareena up at the altar anymore. My eyes turned to try and spot her, but it was all too late. She spotted me at least a second or two before I spotted her. She was already pointing at me to leave, obviously not wanting me in a place like this lest I disgrace it.

I unclasped my hands as quickly and easily and unnoticeably as possible, standing to face her. I shrugged and she once again gestured for me to leave.

I shook off the event, and headed towards the arches leading back to the library. Before I left, I failed in leaving the situation what it was and covered it up as best I could.

“I’m supposed to tell you that Ryuu found a way to get us to the cave quicker. We just have to veer a bit to the east.” I turned back to say.

“Okay, Fine…” She said. “You should go now.”

“Yeah,” I said. “Yeah, I should go.” I turned, and left—not as fulfilled as I would have liked to have been. I passed the arches leading back to the library, deciding to get ready for the night…deciding to prepare for a fight.

-----

I visited the people, looked around the hold for anything I might use. I managed to secure a set of Elvin armor from a collector who had brought a lot of stuff from the city. It cost me a few gold pieces, which I had no problem in supplying.

Night soon fell; I once again went to the library to meet up with my friend and our new allied knight. They were obviously waiting for me.

-------------------------------

Ooc: Yep, pretty short post...just wanted to get some stuff laid out there before we left. Okay then, let's go!

As an old wise man once said...

..."Take a chill pill, child."

I ended up talking to certain people til bedtime...OOPS! Oh well, I'm posting right now anyway. But trust me, this thing isn't dead.

Congrats to finishing the book! I may not get around to reading it til the weekend, but I will! :)

...I got lots to do this weekend...planned to FINALLY get the beginnings of BB/Crow posted, which in all actuallity is the first book in my OWN series...which I can't really call my own considering it's about Terry. But I can't just call it MITL because those were not as good as the new ones.

Well, I really should have just e-mailed this, instead of rambling on the board like a fool. Alright, be on later!

Peace out!

A lone Syrakk made its distinction from the thousands crowding it; drowning it. Standing with little room for movement amongst its brothers in the darkness of night, it alone noticed the phenomenon.

Its antennae shot up first, being fully extended and focused. Its thoughts drifted away from the same of its family, turning more towards the shape in the sky. Its head rose, peaking up beyond the rest of the Syrakk, looking outward among the sky.

Could the Syrakk tell what it was? It wasn’t likely. Even bugs, however, can sense when something isn’t normal. Whether it was the smell or noise, the dragon and its riders were revealed to the bug. It changed the position of its antennae, trying to distinguish between air and the hulking mass in the air it could not see.

A slightly smarter creature would have noticed the waving contours the cloaked dragon and the two passengers on its back created in the clouds, bending them in a physically impossible way. However the Syrakk only continued to search with its lesser senses, trying to determine exactly where the creature was going.

Its eyes followed its nose *despite the fact that Syrakks, like other bugs, do not have noses.* It turned its head to the east, losing most of its vision to the random movement of the other Syrakk around him. It ignored them. As its senses continued to follow the giant lizard, its eyes fell upon cliffs to the east. They were very hilly, now black given the incredible amount of Syrakk atop them.

The syrakk let out a short series of clicks to itself; an act that would shortly lead the bug’s independent thought to be discovered. As the Syrakk questioned and clicked at the flying creature, several others around it began to take notice. They too erected their antennae, searching for what their fellow insect was babbling about.

Their small heads began to randomly look up, attempting to see the dragon as the first had done. None succeeded, but all noticed. The wave of thought continued to spread almost in a perfect circular fashion, expanding outward among the Syrakk.

As the first one concluded what he was looking at, a sharp series of clicks sounded from his mouth, signaling to the others that he had discovered what it was. The tip off had been the micro changes in air density (relatively complex…but simple for a bug to detect). They proved that wings were flapping, shaking the air about. Other Syrakk clicked as well, to confirm the discovery.

A sharp pain filled the mind of the first Syrakk. A pain it could not control, but a pain that was anything but natural. Screeching and shaking wildly, the insect crashed to the ground, being tortured from a source miles away. The pain drilled the bug’s consciousness, separating the creature from its independent thinking. Memories were purged, and subconscious gained hold.

The other bugs turned and cocked their head at him, wondering what the Syrakk’s problem was. They too soon felt the pain of their brother, also letting out their signature screeches. Many crashed to the ground; several stood to attempt to gain control over the familiar but constantly clouded memory of pain.

Once they had forgotten what they had seen and been returned to a hive mind, the bugs were relieved of their torture, shaking off any discomfort. They began to stand back up, their minds empty. The first syrakk went back about his random movement, limited by the thousands of Syrakk crowding; drowning it.

Several miles away, a lone figure pleased himself in knowing he had stopped the small independent thought uprising of his soldiers, once again gaining full control over them and their inferior minds. Of course he didn’t know what it was the soldier had been thinking, but for now—he was content.

“I take it you don’t fly much?” I asked to the knight behind me, clutching on to my now Elven armored shoulders as we sat on the back of my shifter friend.

“I don’t trust things that fly,” She commented back, trying to make it look like she wasn’t the least bit worried.

I pulled off the most annoying smirk I could muster, and turned back to face where we were headed. “You get used to it.”

“I suppose you did?” She asked.

“Kind of had to,” I said. “Helps when you’re partners with a shifting dragon.”

*Quiet…Both of you* Ryuu interrupted our minds. *They may not see us, but they’re not entirely stupid*

I nodded and cooperated. Jareena simply fell silent.

The sea of Syrakk below us was growing thinner now, the outskirts of them quite thinner than the bulk, which was to be expected. They seemed not too interested in the caves we were heading to; more concerned with the food in the hold, I imagined.

The shifter let out o snort as she began her decent towards the grassy ground, populated by loose and tall plants. Certain spots were crushed with a thud when the dragon placed her feet on the ground, matting into the ground.

*We’re here* she said, and gestured her head toward the cave not 10 yards away.

“Well, obviously,” I responded, and slid off the dragons back, bracing the impact of the ground with my knees.

*Stay quiet* she said again.

“What?” I said, and turned back to face the hold and the sea of bugs surrounding it. “They’re all the way over there. There is almost no possible way they could spot us.”

“Do not underestimate them,” Jareena said softly, landing on the ground in the same fashion I had. “We don’t yet know enough about them to make such a prediction.”

The dragon shifted back into her Elvin form and uncloaked. “She’s right. Don’t antagonize them.”

“Fair enough,” I said. “Seems like I should be able to though, I mean they did kill our men and everything—and horses—and…”

“Dis,” Ryuu interrupted.

“What?” I asked.

“Shut up.”

I did as I was told, and turned once again to pace along the cave. Our feet sloshed through the thickness of the grass, which extended all the way to the entrance of the cave. Upon first glance, one would not have noticed the engraved marking along the top ridge of the cave. However, as we had three simultaneous glances, it was quite easy.

“Hey,” I said, being the first to regard it just before we reached the mouth. I put my hands slightly out to my sides to stop the two walking just behind me. “What’s that?”

I looked up quickly to the top of the cave, just on the ridge of it. They did the same, checking to see what it was I was talking about. There, along the edge, was a character; it glistened off and on, certain parts glowing a dull blue more than others.

“I—I don’t know,” Ryuu responded looking up at it. “Do either of you know what it means.”

I brought my head down and looked back at Jareena, who looked back at me with a shrug.

“No,” I responded and looked back up to the writing. “More ancient Greek?” I asked.

“The Greeks didn’t use characters,” she said, raising her eyebrow. “I thought you knew that.”

“But I mean—could it be something other than a word? Like the heart shape being used to symbolize love or the—well I suppose that’s the only example I have.”

“Well I suppose it could be anything,” Jareena responded. “I’m a little more interested into why it’s glowing rather than what it says.”

“Magic,” was the answer given by both Ryuu and myself at the same time; a slight echo on my part. “It wouldn’t be too hard,” I added, raising my staff from my side to point it upward toward the marking. “Just takes a little crafty staff waving.”

“Okay,” Jareena continued. “Well, since there’s nothing we can really do about it, why don’t we just go ahead and enter the cave?”

“Works for me,” I responded, and brought my staff back down to my front, pointing it slightly forward. The glowing increased in the diamond, creating a light in the dull cave as I pushed it along. When the entrance was lit, I took a step forward, landing firmly on a rocky surface. A few loose pieces of gravel were pushed forward, echoing on their way down the incline of the cave.

“Watch your step,” I said to the two behind me, and continued on. They stayed close, making sure not to fall too far behind lest they lose sight of the diamond’s light.

“It’s steep,” Ryuu commented, looking further, “really steep.”

“Oh I wouldn’t worry about that,” I said. “It’s pretty clean, as long as you don’t catch a pile of grav—“

I was interrupted when my left foot landed on a small collection of gravel, rolling my foot forward away from its firm placement.

“Dis!” was all Ryuu let out before I slid to the ground, my head thumping a bit. I assume my staff (which I kept in my hand) caught one of their legs because they were both soon falling as well.

Once I was in a laying position, I continued to slide down the incline, which was at about a 40 degree angle, as far as I could tell (or at least it appeared at the time.) The gravel didn’t help either, making it almost impossible to catch a firm grip on the ground.

Our dull yells and attempts to regain our footing reverberated throughout the rock. I can’t say exactly when I gave up on it, but it was sometime just before the incline faded away. When I had come to a complete stop, I sighed—and then coughed when Ryuu and Jareena rolled right into me harder than I would have thought possible.

“Well,” I said, getting up to my feet and dusting off the gravel and dust that was clinging to me, “that was interesting.”

“Quite,” Jareena responded, and stumbled to get back to her feet given the bulk of her armor. “Where are we?”

“Well,” I said, looking around. “Obviously we’re still in the cave—“. I thrust my staff outward into the opening we had come to, looking around to see if I could spot anything. From the light given by the diamond, I could see the walls to the right and left of me, but couldn’t see too far forward. “Looks okay,” I said.

When Ryuu had recovered, we pressed onward, the staff’s light moving along with us. That didn’t prevent us from squinting to check if we could see farther however. The room was fairly empty, I could tell. Stalactites were on the ceiling every so often, but nothing to be concerned with—or so I would have liked to think.

“Stop,” Ryuu interrupted. “Hear that?” She asked. Jareena and I both froze, looking around to catch whatever it was she was talking about. We didn’t hear anything at first, but before long the dull rumbling grew loud enough for even the deaf to hear. We turned to face it, along the right wall. I nodded to myself when I realized what was going on.

“Well who didn’t see that one coming a mile away?” I asked, watching the stone wall collapse into a six-foot-wide concave. Before the dust was given time to clear, the first Syrakk made his move forward, striding in on his two hind legs and threatening us with his front most.

“Great…” Jareena mumbled, and brought her lance forward. “Let’s get rid of them, shall we?”

I shrugged, and brought my own weapon forward—its diamond was as bright as day; a nice thing to see after having seen it as dull as a rock just hours before.

K, now we all get to post our own little segments of this brief fight, then we can go forward through the cave some more! Whoo Hoo! Go unlimited and convenient Syrakk fights!

Edited by Distarius_WhiteRobes

I drew my sword. The dragon next to me went directly from elf form to that of a gryphon. Her talons had barely formed when the syrakk screamed and jumped into the air. Distarius was the first to meet it, jabbing his staff into its mid-section. There was a brilliant flash before it was thrown aside. Two more took its place.

The three of us charged them. Gryphon talons and beak ripped one bug to shreds. My sword made cleaner pieces of the other. Now three syrakk were entering, before I could even raise my sword again. An eagle scream echoed along the cave walls. A staff flashed searing light. My armor clanked as I was knocked to my back by a more agile bug.

I jabbed at its head, but missed. I probably could have thrown the exo-skeleton form, had I not been weighed down by my own shin guards, wrist guards, breastplate...

The pressure became more intense. My opponent was growing fur, changing, shifting into a huge, razor-furred cat with larger incisors than I would have thought possible. I waved my sword at its chest again. A titanic paw knocked it aside, but my armor made it impossible for the huge cat to harm me. Its jaws closed over my helmet to lift me up. I groaned, but remained in one piece. The helmet would have slid off, if it hadn't caught on my ponytail. The cat snarled, hot breath blowing through my visor, before it removed its paws and flung me aside. It then pounced as if at play. I managed to throw my weigh and roll aside, but one of its paws still caught me.

My hand reached for my sword, lying at least a foot away now. I couldn't quite grasp it. The sabretooth threw me again. I hit the cave wall with a metallic rattle, clanking to the floor. Now where was my sword?

A bleeding gryphon attacked the sabretooth before it could pounce on me again. I never would have guessed my life would one day be saved by a black dragon. With no time to muse, I clutched a rock to pull myself to my feet, then hurriedly clanked across the cave to take up my sword. A mantis-formed syrakk appeared just then, distracting me from the other fight. We parried, until my sword sliced its upper body nearly in two.

The gryphon screamed again and pounced back from the now equally bleeding sabretooth. Black, feathered wings beat the air loudly, blowing dust into the shifted syrakk's eyes. It cringed and closed them, growing antennae to seek her out without sight. It never found a chance. Distarius' staff sent a blast of energy just then, and I won't relate anything further than that.

The panting gryphon turned an eagle's eye toward me, simultaneously shifting more feathers and fur to soak up her blood and stop its flow. *You're welcome,* she snarled in thought-speech.

"Had you given me time, I might have said 'thank you,' " I retorted.

Distarius jumped down from a rock and strode between us, straight for the open doorway. "Let's keep moving."

We have a problem. I started writing my post and I was supposed to uh..get it in there after Dis. So now my story doesn't fit with yours, but I need this to happen to fit in the information bits. I suppose I'll just post it in there anyways.... I don't know what we are going to do about that. I liked the Griffin part, BUT.. I need to slip away before the battle... I fit it in, so don't worry. I'm not going to get this done now, but I am going to post it. WAIT FOR IT!!!

After falling heavily on the ground and Distarius, I figured this would be a good time to see where I was going. I reshaped my eyes to those of a true elf, seeing soft red outlines of beings and bluer ones for surroundings. I wandered through the room with my two unlikely companions. Something reached my sharply pointed ears and they pricked back a bit. The rumble intensified until both of my companions were forced to heed my warning for silence. It stung my sensitive ears and I cringed back. Syrraks surged into the cave.

Turning into a Griffin, I fought them as well as I could, saving the rude and dragon-hating knight. She had time to say thank you… she just didn’t. More Syrraks poured into the hole and the scratching and clawing of their bug-like mobile structure made my ears buzz.

The Syrrak shrieks hurt even more. I writhed in pain and closed my eyes tightly. The closeness of the cave made the shrieks echo and resound. I took retreating steps to the darkness of the cave, keeping close to the un-crumbled wall. I crouched close to a corner, scarcely seeing my friends battle the black tide of bug creatures. I leaned on the wall, knowing they were perfectly capable of handling themselves.

Something shifted next to me, I found myself falling through the solid rock! The rocky wall shimmered and let me somehow permeate it! I tumbled, head over heal into a dark room. Trying to right myself, I flipped to my feet and crouched low to the ground, not moving to make myself unnoticeable…if I hadn’t been noticed already…

I noticed no one was attacking me and uncurled myself. I stood to practically bludgeon my head on the low roof. Rubbing a small bump forming on my cranium, I advance through the room. I hadn’t noticed my eyes had changed back until I no longer saw in the elfin heat lines and had to blink to see in the dark. Then I turned my eyes on a light, blinding myself. Lovely. Not only did my head ache steadily now, but also I was half blind and stumbling in an unfamiliar area!

I looked back, after blinking many times over; to see what the light was coming from. Claw-like sconces protruded from the rocky walls holding, what was that? Mage light. Balls of magical energy were clutched in the metal claws and flickering just like fire. I reached out to touch it but a humming was growing in my mind.

It wasn’t that I could actually hear it, just feel it in my head and thoughts. It grew closer and I shrunk into a brown mouse. My button eyes took in what was around me. I scurried across the floor and entered another room, under the space between the floor and door. I squeezed in my rodent body and looked around.

I found myself in another dimly lit room and stared around. I saw a laboratory, from what I had seen of them. There was a tall bookcase with skulls holding back Spellbooks and scrolls. One even had a candle melting down the forehead. I was fascinated with this and kept surveying the room.

On a lower shelf, a jar of reptilian eyeballs was light eerily in the flickering candlelight. There, in front of the bookshelf was a desk made of ebony. Upon the smooth surface were more jars, these ones resembling potions jars. There was also a chemistry set and scrawled notes fluttered on the side, falling over in a wave of parchment. In front of that was a candleholder, a slender rod-like structure holding up a dripping candle.

On the opposite side of the room were three candles, melted together and eat lit. On that table with the tri-candle was a silver, green pointed dagger.

A shifting smoke caught my eye. I moved my small eyes to the middle of the small square room. There, they met a down-turned bowl-like structure that extended into a large rob which ended with an actual bowl. A carved, gold snake was bound around the rod frame and its head had slithered onto the bottom of the thing with its tongue flicked out. Its ruby encrusted eyes seemed to bore into one’s very soul, as if it were alive…

My attention moved again to the smoke. It was shifting color; never the same as the last second one looked at it. In it were shadowed figures, like little ...bugs… They were swarming in the shifting smoke and they tiny black silhouettes were closely knit next to each other, always moving but never being able to break free of the smoke. The smoke had drifted from the basin with the snake.

Something moved behind it, and a groan spilt the air. I looked, up flinching, ready to dash. I hadn’t been discovered but what stood there made me take a few steps back.

A man hovered behind the basin, arms outstretched, palms facing the sky, parallel to the basin sides. He wore long, flowing robes of yellow and volumous sleeves encased all but his hands; skeletal, bony hands. A night blue symmetrical design laced itself on his chest and the same color formed flames at the robe’s hem and the hem of his sleeves and hood. His face was turned half way to the ceiling and was shadowed deeply under the pulled up hood. Form what limited detail I could see, her was just as skeletal looking in his facial features as his hands. A belt held up folds around his thin middle.

He swayed a bit, groaning some. His brow knit together in pain, or was it concentration? He mouth tugged down in a deep frown and the candles cast ghostly shadows on his cheekbones. He was fully connected with whatever spell he was conjuring and I decided to creep over to the spilled papers and grab them. Clutching them in sharp incisors, I tugged them out under the door. Coming back under to get more, I was almost out when a fire bowl, hanging from the ceiling gleamed on something. It glittered into shape to form two purely black orbs reflected to firelight. I turned my rodent head to see something forming.

It was a dragon! Platinum scales gleamed on its slim but muscular body. My eyes were dancing and my mind raced in delight. The Platinum was beautiful! Never before had I seen such a beast! I was enthralled until a booming voice filled my mind and a long, snake-like blue tongue hung out of an open jaw. Sharp, long teeth dripped with saliva and the head moved to be seen behind the mage. The voice was his and it was speaking.

It said something that escaped me. The voice was like thunder right above ones head. It drown out everything around you but you couldn’t understand it. I cupped paws over my ear and flattened them against my skull. The voice made me snap out of my daze and I was compelled to scurry out under the door again, with the rest of the notes clenched in my teeth.

I quickly shifted back into an elf and tidied the papers, folding them and tucking it into my belt. I ran down the hallway and noticed something I’d not seen before. In the corner was a candle, one that marked time. I’d been separated from my group for nearly a half-hour. I sprawled on the ground trying to find the magical opening. I found it quite suddenly and slipped through. Falling back over myself and then trying to right myself, I found I was alone. I re-shaped my eyes again and looked around. Taking shape of a gyrfalcon, I soared over the cave to find a trail of blood leading into a corridor.

Changing into a hyena briefly, I sniffed the blood and identified it as one of my companions—Distarius. I changed back into the bird and flew down the corridor to relate my story and scan over the notes. I screeched a raptor cry and flew as fast as my gyrfalcon body could go.

I HAVE MORE! I'm going to read the notes, 'kay? Post what went on while I was gone, 'cause I'm probably going to take a while in writing the rest fo this. Thank you for patience! :P

Edited by Kokuryuu Flameshifter

Well, I'm getting rather tired of waiting. This RPG has been pushed down to ninth place, and that's not good, not good at all... So, I'm just gonna write some dialogue... and if it messes up your story at all, you can disregard it. I realize I'm probably being an idiot for doing this anyway, so if any inconsistencies are formed just ignore me! :P

~¤~

There must have truly been angels surrounding us, for we fought roughly fifteen syrakk before they stopped coming. By then, my armor was dented here and there, my sword badly stained. I could feel a few droplets of sweat trickling beneath my armor, an uncomfortable feeling I couldn't easily assuage. I partially removed my helmet to gulp the musty air, also letting the heat in my face radiate away.

"Where's Ryuu disappeared to?" Distarius asked from nearby.

"I don't know," I replied without glancing up. I sensed some displeasure in his silence, and looked around for myself a moment later. There was no sign of the shape-shifter, in any form.

Distarius was holding one arm, where a plate of armor had somehow been dislodged. That arm also held his staff, drooping close to the ground. Strands of hair had escaped from his own helmet, plastered to his forehead with sweat. A look of worry filled his face.

"The last time I saw her, she was in better condition than at the last battle," I said, trying to encourage him--- even though my voice was not as kind as it could have been. "If she could survive that, I am sure she's fine now. Wherever she went."

Distarius looked around, concealing his worry with thoughtfulness. "Well, there are only two ways to go. Back up to the entrance, into the darkness over there, or through this opening where all the syrakk have been coming from."

"You're her friend. Where do you think she'd go?"

"Back to the entrance is the least likely." Distarius frowned, obviously having to make a hard decision. His hand still held one arm tenderly. "If the other options are fifty-fifty chances... I suppose we'll have to take the syrakk entrance. That way we have both a chance at being right and at catching up with her."

I nodded with as much casualty as I could, though I pitied him, and made the first move toward the tunnel. I stopped and looked back at the mage. "Your light?"

"Oh yeah." He shifted his staff into the other hand and stepped up quickly, holding the diamond end forward.

We didn't walk long before I glanced at the arm he'd been holding, which was the farthest from me. It was hard to tell in the light now dim, but I thought I saw a few drops of blood hitting the floor. Not small drops, either. "You look to be badly wounded," I said conversationally.

Distarius glanced at me, and pressed his left arm to his side, making it harder to see. "Not much I can do about it."

"No healing spell?" I regretted the sneer in my voice, but by then it was too late.

"I don't... um... That might not work so well."

"Why not?"

"Well, you see, it's complicated, because..." Distarius's voice trailed off, and he shrugged as if it didn't matter. "Yeah."

I stared at the floor ahead, contemplative, before saying, "You really can't do it, can you?"

He looked down. "No, not really."

"Well," I said slowly, "why not?"

Distarius started making another excuse, but he sighed and decided to come clean. He spoke as if ashamed--- either of the truth, or of the fact that he'd hidden it. "For quite a while now, I've been doubting my magic. It's at the point where I can only use my staff and some cheap tricks. Does that make you happy?"

I wasn't sure how to answer that question. It occurred to me (rather late) that I hadn't been showing much unconditional love to these strangers, to the point that they thought I hated them. It took me over a minute to think of something to say, and by that time the silence had been fully established. My voice echoed through it almost rudely. "Perhaps I owe you an apology. For not making my opinion clear."

Distarius smirked. "Because you don't share your opinion too often!"

"I disagree with you and Flameshifter in several areas," I continued. "But I don't think any less of you as people. I don't beleive anyone is better than anyone else, although I suppose my actions have not been much of a testimony to that fact. I need you to forgive my pride."

Distarius cocked his eyebrows. "Alright, no problem."

While I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly he brushed it aside, the silence that followed did not reassure me. Silence, at least for me, means detachment. "How's your arm?" I asked.

"I'll be fine," he said. Although I thought he looked a little paler...