The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

On the Lost Paths II

Archive

Zadown

Bard

(9/5/01 3:51:54 pm)

On the Lost Paths II

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She wishes that she'd listed more back then when everything was as it should be, back in the sun and the childhood, back when it was still a day. Now it is too late, way too late, late late late late late...

She can only fish the old words from his frightened memory, try to find a crack in the doom of present, try to find a door back to normality, try try try try...

Eyes glistening wetly from tears of angusih in her dark corner she tries to recall...

"You know how the shadows seem to move in the dark of the night, twisting to frightening shapes? How the entire night seems to move around you and your bed seems like the only refuge in the world?"

Yes yes yes these are the words the shadows they are moving now deeper to that memory, deeper deeper...

"They are not always mere shadows, my child, no matter what the other adults tell you. I am not from around here - I do not belong to this land of money and machines. Nobody knows here anything any more, they..."

I want to remember know now now know, I need it now!

"...the time of two moons. Then, somewhere, where the portals are near and the paths beckon, the guardians wake up, shadows of teeth and claw, and they move around like living things..."

Yes yes frightening even then weeks I could not sleep properly asking after moons moons moons, I can see two lights shining outside yellow red yellow red red red... I want them off of my head, off off!

".. and then you, my child..."

I can't remember! They are here now moving with teeth and I can't, not not not what I must do?

"... and then ..."