The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A really short story

Archive

Balladore

Visitor

(10/21/01 1:21:50 pm)

Reply A really short story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro~

This is a reallllllly short story that I came up with a while ago and am deciding to put down on paper right now... Its basically about how much people take, and how much they really need. Comments welcome, of any sort. Without further ado, here we go:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?The Lighthouse?

Near my home, up on a cliff, there is a lighthouse. It is very old, and badly needing a coat of paint... I can imagine that it has been there forever, since the begining of time... The grass still green, the water still eroding the cliff below, slowly but surely...

But long, long ago, when it was still in use, and the walls were freshly whitewashed, 3 children played up on the cliff. The ran to and fro, engaged in a game of "tag". A loving mother watches form the doorway. As she decides it's time to come in, she calls to the children "Come wash up, you rascalls, supper's ready!", and the three abandon their game immediately at the mention of victuals.

They run past their mother into the tiny kitchen, to see their father running down the stairs to beat them to the faucett. He cries his triump, washes, and rustles each boy's hair as he passes. Finally, when they're all finished, they take their seats at the table and pray thanking god for what they have, for though it is a meager supper, they are greatful for it all the same.

After dinner, the table is pushed back into the kitchen and the room becomes a parlor. The boys play with their only toy, a small train set, while the father smokes his pipe and reads his paper, and their mother quilts in the corner. Soon the clock chimes nine, and the boys are ordered up to bed... only for their parents to hear little feet scurrying around on the floor above for half an hour.

Silently, the mother and father exchange a smile and creep up the stairs to the single bedroom for the boys, and rap sharply on the door with their knuckles. After the scurry of feet to the bed has gone, they enter and kiss each child on both cheeks, then walk downstairs to the main room again. Out of the wall, they pull their bed on its rusty springs, and dress before crawling in together. The mother rests her eyes as he listens to the beat of her husband's heart, and the rain that has begun to fall. Quietly, the man says to his wife "I love you."

Equally quietly, she replies "I know... I love you to," and they fall asleep, into a deep slumber, for they are blissfully happy together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

peredhil31

Elder of Lists and Manners

(10/21/01 1:47:51 pm)

Reply Re: A really short story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like it!

A well-described scene of domestic tranquility. A pleasant interlude for all the tragedies of late.

Thank you.

Ozymandias the Elder

The Founder

(10/21/01 2:49:41 pm)

Reply Re: A really short story

Very...soothing. There's little enough out there that is these days. I thank you, too.

Was this based at all on fact?