The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The lil snowball war *Translation*

First part

Two groups of children living in the same fortified castle of a large guild decide to let themselves a small snowball war. The first group, to direct by a stubborn but just kid called Romulus, is made up mainly the small tugs, except for Ciboulette, which is Romulus' delicate and charming younger sister. The other group, directed by a frailer but rather inventive kid called Claudieau, is formed by kids jokers of any qualities. The child-magi argued about the rules.

" No magic! ", ask the first ones

" We want magic! ", answer the others

After one hour of surging debates, they agreed upon using magic only to create their snow respective snow strongholds. Each team were getting started with this task, for the greatest amusement of their parents. The phantasm mages of each camp quickly put themselves at work and throw a fog spell around the construction sites. Thus, the other team will have the surprise to discover the fort of their adversaries.

Inside each circle of fog, the children use their capacities for refining all the details of their snowforts. Some handle their fire magic to solidify the walls of snow, others transform vines into emergency ladders, some will even craft battery rams and hooks.

When the fog is dissipated around the construction sites, the initial surprise that came with the sight of the results quickly leave place to amazement.

- " Fantastic! ", exclaims Romulus, " We will have lots of fun! They will not be able to knock down our fort. "

Ciboulette comes to join her brother and laughs.

- " We build a beautiful fort and it's the most beautiful of all snowforts! "

On its side, Clodieau's team was not less proud od the result of their work.

- " Here is a fort which will be able to hold out against Romulus and his gang of bullies. " said the head of the tricksters with satisfaction.

Galopard, a little boy who proved he's as smart as Clodieau approaches too.

- " I am proud to have this fort! " shout Galopard " We're the best! "

- " Yeah, yeah, that's what we'll see. " answers Grachus, a bulky-builded boy who does not hesitate to intimidate weaker than him.

- " Yes! This is what YOU will see! " retorts a very susceptible Galopard

- "ENOUGH! ", orders Romulus, " We will know who is strongest at the end of the five battles. "

- " You're right Romulus ", answers Clodieau, " I wish good luck to your team. See you tomorrow for the first battle."

To be continued

Edité(e)(s) par: Lady Celes Crusader  à: 2/28/02 9:51:40 pm

• 2 weeks later...

Second part

Amazement having passed after a good night of sleep, the hour came for the preparations of the first assault. Each team was installed inside their respective fort, cooking their offensive and defensive plans.

On Romulus' side, the kids revised their combat equipment. The leader of muscleheads looks at what seems to be a catapult.

- " So, " says Romulus who badly dissimulates his intrigue, " Would you like to tell me how this thing over there is supposed to work? "

Taupius, a kid as myop as a mole but who has, despite everything, a rather solid frame. It has two very large incisors which makes it pronounce its " S " and some of its " C" like " SH ". He blinks his eyes behind his glasses that are as think as "bottle's bottom " to his boss' question.

- " Itsh shimple of courshe", answers Taupius then, "You'll only need to charge with a big shnowball in the broad rubberband which ish fixed on thish tended cord. Then, you'll needs to crank the cord ushing thish shyshtem of pulley and crank. "

During his explanation, the four-eyes makes a demonstration. The catapult is directed towards a watchtower.

- " I musht tell you", continues Taupius, "that these shnowballsh are not made only with shnow. The middle of theshe ballsh ish made of shmall pieshesh of ishe that I shtick together. Then I covered this ishy center with shnow. "

- " Good, "resumes Romulus, " Does it works? "

- " But of courshe, Romulush! " answers Taupius

- " So I must pull on this lever to activate it? " ask an impatient Grachus.

- "Yess, that'sh it!"

- " Allright! ", said Grachus while activating the catapult with a wide grin.

The projectile of snow and ice flies away, very high in the airs, and hits one of the guards, who was on duty at this time, on the head. The kids howled of laughter while seeing what had occurred.

- " That wash'nt very bright, Grachus!!!", exclaim an exasperated Taupius, "You could have killed that guard! "

- " So what! ", retort Grachus, " Thanks to me, we know that your gizmo works. "

Meanwhile, on Clodieau's team side, all the preparations go on pretty smoothly. Galadrielle, a little blonde girl with the blue eyes of a sweet charm who does not have more than six years, walks towards Clodieau with a wheelbarrow filled with particular snowballs.

- " Clodieaaaauuuuu!, " calls forth the small young damsel, " Looks at the snowballs I made! These snowballs are SPE-CI-AL! "

Clodieau smiles to the small rascal and examines the balls in questions while wondering about what made them so special until it sees of the colored spots on some of them.

- " What it is that? " then ask a curious Clodieau

The brat hops in joy, takes a ball and throws it on one of the fort's turrets. The projectile bursts but leaves a spot of color, red in this case.

- " I've put colored ink in the snowballs", answers then the young girl still very excited

- " WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!!!!", yells Galopard

Clodieau runs towards the fort's ramparts and sees the Romulus' team moving towards their fort with a battering ram and Taupius' catapult. The besieged quickly start to bombard their adversaries with snowballs. Ciboulette hangs with Taupius and helps him to handle the catapult. On their side, Romulus, Grachus and the remainder of the team were about of strinking with the ram.

In Clodieau's fort, a tall boy, who resembles Romani which is named Scarface because of a scar which crosses its face from right to left, joined Clodieau.

- "What are we going to do?". asks Scarface

- " We will let them use their ram ", answered Clodieau with insurance, " after that, we will bombard them with the Galadrielle's snowballs. "

Romulus gives the start signal for the ram. On his side, Taupius activates the catapult and a big snowball flies towards the fort and explodes beside Galopard. He received pieces of ices on his shoulder.

- " Ouch! ", howl Galopard, " Hey! Oh! Are you out of your mind or what? "

- " Shorry! " retort Taupius with his good mood

The ram rushes at all speed towards the fort's gate. Romulus and company succeed in giving a first hit on the gate... which falls towards them, revealing a blank wall.

- " Huh? " exclaims Romulus with surprise, " How they enter in their fort, then? "

- "CHARGE!!!!!!!" yells Clodieau

The besieged team bombards their adversaries with the ink filled balls.

- " Chief! Our plan failed! ", exclaims Grachus, " What should we do? "

- " We're retreat", answers Romulus, " We will have them on the next battle! "

Romulus' team runs toward the catapult and put themselves out of the colored projectiles' reach.

- "You won the first inning, Clodieau", yells the leader of the defeated, "But the war is not over yet! We'll avege ourselves tomorrow!"

Clodieau's team hops in joy at the announcement of their adversaries defeat. But, this joy quickly grew blurred when Galopard noticed that the Galadrielle's snowballs' ink had run on his mittens and on the other's.

- " Ah rats! ", he exclaims, " What my mom will say? "

- " That wasn't smart, Galadrielle! ", reproach Scarface, " Our mothers will be angered! "

The little girl had great difficulty to hide her sorrow and starts to cry.

- " It's... not... my... fault ", she manages to say between two sobs, " I did not know, hic, that it would do that! "

- " Allright, allright! " says Claudieau in a comforting tone, " I am sure that our mothers will manage to remove the ink from our mittens. It's time to go home. "

The sun goes down whereas moms find themselves suddenly with more tasks.

To be continued