The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Application for membership

Xeros

Viewer

(10/4/02 7:37:03 am)

Reply Application for membership

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: This is an old story of mine that a friend and I decided to work on together.. I recently found it while exploring the archives of MS Word Documents on my computer, and decided to continue it.. Enjoy...

{Dark clouds loom high in the skies of Terra, and heavy rain falls to the earth below. For over two days time the western regions of Terra have been overwhelmed by the constant and seemingly endless down pours. These down pours have created many traveling hazards. Roads have been washed out, entire villages buried in massive landslides, fields of crops drowned from flooded riverbanks, and even the footpaths have become a hazard. So much so, that not even the bravest of the brave have dared venture into the western regions, and those who dwell there have rarely exited their homes.

The fifth day of the seemingly endless deluge has been the worst so far. High winds howl ferociously through the trees, and bolts lightning streak across the sky so brightly that they sometimes create the illusion of daylight. It is on this day that we find a lone figure making it’s way along a beaten and very muddy footpath. A bright flash of lightning and a very loud crack of thunder startle the figure and nearly cause it to trip over a log that has fallen in the middle of the path. The once icy blue cloak this person wore, was now a deep royal blue color on top, and a rather muddy color at the bottom. The figure removes the hood, revealing the gender of the individual. An attractive blonde, who stands about 5'6 or so, stands alone in the middle of path. The rain is quickly soaking her flaxen hair, and causing it to stick to her face. Another blinding flash of lightning illuminates the sky, and shows the visible signs of fatigue on the young woman’s face. The woman brushes her hair away from her face as another flash of lightning appears in the sky, and reveals that she has recently been involved in a battle in the form of a rather large gash on her right cheek. The wound has still yet to close most likely due to the rainfall, and blood still flows from it and slowly trickles down her cheek. The woman lets out an exhausted sigh, but pulls her hood back over he head and continues on down the path.

The woman continues on her travels, not stopping to rest her tired body for another two days, until she arrives in the town of FalconHawk. Tired and incredibly exhausted, the young lady walks into the town. Because of the heavy rain, no one is out side so she slowly makes her way down to the local tavern.

The door to the tavern swings open and the young lady steps inside. The patrons of the tavern all momentarily cease their activities to look at the stranger who has just entered. The woman slowly unties the blue ribbon around her neck and her drenched cloak falls to the wooden tavern floor. The bar patrons watch as she rings her hair out first then her cloak, and then go back to their conversations and drinking. Picking up her backpack and cloak, the woman walks over to an empty table and takes a seat. The owner walks up to her and looks at her for a moment or two, then notices the deep wound on her face.

Tavern Owner: Miss, you need to go get some medical attention. That looks like a pretty nasty gash you have there.

Girl: Yes I’m aware of that, but I need to rest first though. I’ve been traveling for over two days now; and all I want is sleep.

{The Tavern Owner nods, and heads back to the bar. He soon returns with a goblet of milk for the young lady.}

Tavern Owner: Miss you’ve been traveling out in this weather for over two days now?? Why would you be doing this?

{The girl takes a drink from the goblet, and then looks up at the tavern owner.}

Girl: I’m searching for someone, maybe you’ve seen him or heard of him. Oh you can address me as Raieyana.

Tavern Owner: Well miss Raieyana, who is this man that you’re looking for?

Raieyana: His name is Xeros, have you heard of him?

{Many of the tavern customers turn and look at the table that Raieyana is sitting at. She fires a few cold glares at those people, being the center of attention is something that she didn’t like. Just as she does that, the few go back to socialize with others at their tables.}

Tavern Owner: Yes I’ve heard of him, he is a great warrior. He lives in this town, I see him once and awhile. Why are you looking for him?

Raieyana: I am in his debt for a while ago. I don’t really want to get into that story. Any ways, if you do happen to see him this evening tell him that I am staying at the Inn of the Whispering Winds. Good evening sir.

{Raieyana quickly puts her hair back up; the once light blue ribbon was dark and drab. She places her cloak over her shoulders again, pulling the hood over her head. She lets out a miserable sigh, as Tavern owner hands Raieyana her backpack. He smiles meekly at her, slowly she turns and heads outside side. The streets of nearly dead, but many people still going about their business. The rain wasn’t going to stop them from gathering supplies for their journeys are food for their families. Slowly Raieyana walks towards the Inn, which luckily is only a few buildings away. The rain was finally starting to dissipate, which meant that it was hopefully going to be a better today tomorrow. The fatigued girl pushes the door of the Inn open, dropping her bag on the floor. There behind the desk, was a pudgy man who was about his mid 30’s or so.

Inn Keeper: How can I help you Miss?

Raieyana: I’d like to get a room for the night, I may stay here long but I’m unsure as of yet.

{The Inn keeper smiles at her}

Inn Keeper: Very well. You look pretty exhausted, don’t worry about paying tonight. I want the money tomorrow though, have yourself a nice sleep. You can stay in room number seven.

{The Inn Keeper handed the door key to Raieyana, who takes it and bows in gratitude. Slowly she drags her backpack on the stairs, making enough noise that it could possibly wake up the other occupants. Finally she finds her room; slowly she pushes the door open. She rubs her eyes, allowing herself to get used to the dim light in the room.

Removing her cloak, she tosses it over a chair in hopes that it will be dry when morning comes. Standing in front of the chair, Raieyana lets out a yawn then walks towards the bed. With out thinking or getting changed, she falls on the bed. Completely exhausted from her long journey, Raieyana drifted quickly off into a deep dream filled slumber. Outside the downpour of rain had lessened to a minor shower, but still the fear of another deluge plagued the minds of the townsfolk as they hurriedly went about their nightly business.

Meanwhile back at the Tavern, a lot of commotion can be heard coming from within. Nothing violent is happening, it sounds more like a lot of singing off key, laughter, and occasional angry drunken warriors shouting at the rest of the patrons. Outside of the tavern footsteps can be heard drawing near. The audible squishing sound of the soft earth under the person’s heavy foot grows louder with every step towards the tavern.

Suddenly the tavern door swings open and hits the wall with a very loud Thud!! Everyone in the tavern immediately stops what they are doing and turns towards the doorway, some drawing their swords in preparation for a battle. Standing in the doorway is a fairly tall figure whose features are hidden behind a long full-length black cloak. The figure moves his hands to his head. In one swift motion the figure removes the hood that has hiding his face. He has long and flowing black hair that falls to his shoulders. Slowly he raises his head to reveal a pair of cold emotionless eyes blood red in color, with a trio of scars running diagonally across his right eye. The rest of his face is that of a handsome gentleman. The patrons of the tavern all begin to whisper and talk silently almost not wanting to be heard.. “Xeros,” whispers one of the warriors. “That’s Xeros?” whispers another. Yet another warrior chimed in, “He’s supposedly one of the most skilled warriors in all of Terra.” Xeros removes his cloak revealing that he is a well-developed individual with a broad and muscular upper body, and a similarly built lower body. He is dressed in a black and red explorers outfit. Xeros looks around at the many patrons of the tavern, and chuckles to him self.}

Xeros: Oh don’t let my arrival interrupt your bad singing, arguments, and stories of battles fought. Please do carry on.

{Soon the tavern was back to the way it was before his entrance. Xeros turned towards the tavern owner and smirked at him.}

Xeros: (in a mocking tone of voice) Does my appearance here always draw this much attention Borrak?

{Borrak returns the comment with a chuckle of his own.}

Borrak: Every time Xeros.. Every time. So what will you have tonight?

{Xeros smiled}

Xeros: I’ll have a house special tonight.

Borrak: Ohhhhhh… Now you are truly living dangerously.

{Borrak stars to laugh as he slowly pours a liquid substance from a green bottle into a chalice.}

Xeros: It’s the only way I know how to live.

{Borrak handed Xeros the chalice filled with his special concoction, which he thanked him greatly for, and retired to his usual seat in the far back corner of the Tavern. No one who frequented the tavern really knew what ingredients Borrak used to make his house drink, and because a slight but thick fog poured over the brim of the glass, no one really wanted to know either. Time slowly passed on, and Xeros as usual sat alone at his table in that dark corner slowly drinking Borraks concoction. Xeros finished the drink and ordered up another one, which Borrak quickly delivered to him.}

Xeros: So anything else interesting happen today Borrak?

{Xeros asked calmly before taking a drink from the chalice. Borrak stood there for a moment, before he replied.}

Borrak: Well I had to throw a couple of warriors out because they were about to tear up my tavern. Nothing else really.. This crazy weather isn’t the best creator of news, but ummmm.. Oh yes a young woman came into the tavern today, and it just so happens she was looking for you..

{Xeros set the chalice down on the table and looked up at Borrak.}

Xeros: Looking for me? Did she say what she wanted?”

{Borrak just shrugged his shoulders. }

Borrak: She didn’t say what she wanted, just that she is in your debt for something, but she wouldn’t say what that was either.

Xeros: (With a mischievous grin on his face) Hmmm.. Interesting.. What did this woman look like?

{Borrak described Raieyana to Xeros, who seemed very interested in what this young woman, wanted from him. }

Xeros: Well where is this young woman now?

Borrak: Well she said something about staying at the Inn of the Whispering Winds.

Xeros: I see.. Well I shall take my leave. I fear if I have another one of these special drinks of yours I might not make it though the night. If miss Raeiyana shows up tomorrow tell her that if she wishes to meet with me, I can be reached at my home.

{Borrak chuckled}

Borrak: Those special drinks of mine are made only to be consumed by the bravest of the brave. For you have to be the bravest, or craziest to be willing to try one. If the lady shows up I shall give her your instructions. But I know not where your home is.

{Xeros rose to his feet and put his black cloak back on and tied it securely around his neck. He then turned to Borrak and gave him the location of his home, and warned that if anyone but miss Raieyana shows up to his home, he would pay dearly.. Borrak swallowed hard, and complied. Xeros grinned wickedly at Borrak again, and calmly exited the tavern and disappeared into the darkness…}

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW POST

Archive Note The original post was made by someone who was not registered. As a result the parser messed up when converting. Their post appears above, followed by the next available post here:

Wyvern00

Elder of Initiates

(10/10/02 11:13:17 pm)

Of Deadly Alcoholic Beverages and Pen Applications

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xeros waits patiently in his applicant easy chair as Wyvern goes over his application story for the forty eighth time, sniffing and hiccuping to himself as he does so... While the eager applicant hoped this continuous rereading of his text was done because the Elder of Initiates wanted to make sure of it's excellent quality, the greedy reptile's demeanor suggested otherwise. It was apparent that Wyvern had had one too many swigs from the Decanter of Endless Booze, and thus wasn't in his most sober state of mind...

"Shay..." mumbles Wyvern in a drunken slur, placing Xeros' application back down onto his desk and grinning "I notished that in thish story, ya seem to like strong drinks... Well, I'll tell ya what... Shince this is some really good writing, I'll let ya join the Pen if ya try out this new beverage some of my buddies've been experimenting with!"

"New beverage...?" mutters Xeros in a somewhat confused manner, wishing he had come on a day where Wyvern hadn't had so much too drink. The applicant is about to ask whether or not his writing alone is enough for acceptance when suddenly, Wyvern whistles and the office door swings open. Much to Xeros' amazement, 7 Pen Elder dwarves dressed in witch costumes hobble into the office, collectively carrying what appears to be a large boiling pot.

"Isn't it a bit early in the month for Halloween...?" mumbles Xeros as the witch-dwarves set their bubbeling pot in the center of the room. Wyvern cheers drunkenly as the dwarves begin chanting while tossing a variety of ingredients into the bubbeling substance:

Tail of Newt...

Eye of Frog...

Penguin Suit...

Sleazy's Snot...

Toadstool Root...

Dirt from Bog...

Bill Gate's Loot...

mIRC Log...

After they've finished this ceremony, the dwarves lower a diamond chalice into the brew they've concocted using a long handle (they wouldn't dare touch it, after all) and fill the chalice to the brim. After this, the 7 Pen Elder dwarves pass around the chalice and each take a sniff of it to test if it's been made correctly... One by one, the dwarves grin and nod to themselves as they do this...

Satisfied by their end product, the dwarves hand Wyvern the diamond chalice, which the overgrown lizard then procedes to place on his desk table in front of Xeros. The Pen applicant stares into the liquid of the cup reluctantly, watching it move and bubble unnaturally...

"Drink thish, and yer excepted in the Pen..." mutters Wyvern in between taking sips from his Decanter. "... now if you'll excuse me, I have ta use the resht room fashilities briefly. I exshpect to see the cup empty when I return!"

With that, Wyvern leaves for the rest rooms, which gives a relieved Xeros just enough time to pour the unnatural contents of the chalice into a nearby coffee mug (labeled "Melba"). The Pen Elder dwarves are occupied with adding new things to their brew, and thus don't notice Xeros as he does this...

When Wyvern returns and finds the chalice empty, he officially declares Xeros "ACSHEPTED!"

OOC: On a more serious note, an "ACCEPTED" application Xeros, welcome to the Mighty Pen! My apologies for the lateness in responding, real life has kept me quite busy lately. Be sure to make either a local or universal EZboard account for posting (a link to this can be found in our "List of Usefull Links", in the "Links of Terra" section of the guild). Also, be sure to either post your e-mail here or send me a mail at elitwack90@hotmail.com, so I can get you the password info and stuff. Once again, welcome!

• 1 month later...
Guest Minta Rose

Tzimfemme investigated Wyvern's office one sunny afternoon, seeking the (stolen) (borrowed, if you asked Wyvern) (but decidedly stolen) plans for Nekkid Mage fashion season. She noticed a drooping WhiteRose OujiSama in one corner and looked 'round Wyvern's desk for something to pour into its pot, hoping for an abandoned bottle of water; instead the substance in Melba's cup reached up and slapped her hand away from the mug with a jet of sizzling self-spit.

Hmmmm. . .

Reaching back into and through various bulletin board realms, she extracted one exceptionally long scroll, rolled it into a cylinder, laid it on the floor, stomped up and down on it in a vengeful voodoo dance, flattened it between two dictionaries, folded it into an origami artwork, twisted it 'til her hands nearly bled, then was barely able to force the parchment into the mug. The brew swelled out of the mug, mushrooming above the brim into a basketball-sized clump, lit a ridiculous tiny flame on the topmost point, then bowed down under the flame's weight like distorted spacetime. When the flame sank below the rim, the bubble's lower rims partially detached and floated slowly upwards 'til the gas was released in an explosive, sulphorous rush, and the bubble was beaten to shreds in the nuclear wind.

Tzimfemme, war-painted with sudden scorch marks, blinked. " I think Woods can open that bar he always wanted, now. . ." she mused. . .