The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Question...

Guest Lord Cullyn

Guest Lord Cullyn

Alright, I've been thinking of righting a story for a while now... and it's going to be a looong one, I can tell, but I haven't started yet. So I'm thinking of applying and I'm thinking "Hey! That would show my ingenuity!" but then I read that explenation post, and my heart sinks. And then I think "But I haven't started it yet!" so I'm wondering what you think... if either Wyvern or Melba or someone with some knowledge (obviously not me) would answer so I can either get started writing that out or thinking of a new idea, that would be great.

Guest Minta Rose

I'm not _entirely_ sure of what your question is, honestly. . .

If it's "Do I have to COMPLETE a story before submitting it as an application?", I assure you the answer is no. Kaitya, Turi, and I (just to name a few on the spur of the moment) all submitted beginnings of stories as applications, and continued them later.

You also don't have to be a Pen member to post here, in which case the story would likely nestle in the Assembly Room, but we'd certainly like it if you chose to stay awhile.

--Tzimfemme, the naked

Lord Cullyn,

Both Tzimfemme and Yui have summed up my response very nicely. If you're thinking of starting a long story and wish to apply to the Pen, I would suggest posting the beginning of the story as your application and working on it from there. I unfortunatly can't accept your application without an original sample of your writing...

Looking forward to reading your application when you post it.

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 7/8/02 4:14:11 pm

Hm. If Tzimfemme- sama hasn't answered your question, Milord Cullyn, then allow me to try. I thought you were worried that writing up a story idea that you've already been brainstorming might not be considered writing a work specifically for your application. I think I'm safe in assuring you that it would be quite acceptable as your application.

You see, the rule was put in place to discourage people from cutting-and-pasting their old stories onto the board as an application. It's not because we do not appreciate past works, but simply that a specially-written application is a symbol of an applicant's dedication to being an active member to the best of their ability.

If you write up something that's been rolling around in your head specifically for your Pen application, then it is, indeed, an original work. You're fine. Write!!