The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Greetings, all! ^.^

Hello, hello... for those here who know me, I have finally decided to attempt to join your glorious ranks. For those who don't, the same thing, and nice to meet you all, which I'm sure I'll do over time. I'm currently working on my application, although it may be a bit long. If those reading want to read it in sections, I could do that, but then I don't know when I'd finish Regardless, expect something soon; I'm working on it ^.^

Hope to see everyone much more,

Edited by: The Big Pointy One at: 2/20/02 9:14:40 pm

OOC: This will be the first part of my application. I will probably have at least one more, depending on how long it takes me to finish, obviously ^.^

~And now, the story~

Beginnings, Volume I: Sliver

Enter Lasorte, a small village of a few hundred people. A village smuggled between the emerald forests of Leiv'at and the gentle mountain range called the Greyspine. Lasorte was a tiny merchant's community within the small country of Estal. Estal border's ran along the Greyspine to the west, the mighty Derso river to the north and northeast, The Plains of Kasha to the east, and Leiv'at forest to the south. Aside from Lasorte, Estal had very few towns. There was Gervad, the capitol city; Green Ledge, a farming community nestled in the foothills of Greyspine; Anduat, another farming city in the central flatlands region of Estal; and finally, Sandtower, a simple town on the eastern border of Estal. As noted, this story begins in Lasorte.

Not a whole lot usually happened in Lasorte. It's popularity as a merchant town was beginning to dwindle, while Anduat and Gervad where increasing in trades, leaving Lasorte to itself. Of course, the Elves from Leiv'at still came up to deal with the small community, even though there wasn't much either had to offer each other. Most of the people within Lasorte where pensioners from foreign armies or retired farmers. There were a sparse handful of yonger people who moved for the sights. Everyone enjoyed life in town, it was simple and pleasant. Unfortunately, it was also usually quite dull. That's why a birth was a reason for a celebration. Whenever a couple had a baby, the town put on quite a festival for the parents to be. There was food, dancing, singing, and all the merry-making the townsfolk could handle.

Today such a festival was being held. It was night time, and everyone was enjoying themselves under the pleasant air, and the beautiful night sky. A couple, both 25 years of age had just given birth to a boy. He seemed healthy, not too small, and not too large. From what it seemed, his hair would grow in brown. His eyes were a pale blue. Someone shouted from the crowd.

"What will you name him?"

The mother, Annadi ta Seradin answered, "We think he shall be called Aidan."

Her husband, Stal, added, "After Annadi's great grandfather... he was a great and wise warrior. We thought it be fitting for our young son."

Someone else from the crowd yelled out a cheer, and the merry-making resumed into the late hours of the night...

~10 Years later~

As expected, Aidan grew up to be a healthy young boy. He had much interest in the forests south of town, and spent much of his time there. He was always climbing in and out of trees, making traps, gathering various fruits and herbs, and just about anything else one could do in the woods. By the time he was seven, he could catch small game without any difficulty. By eight, he was able to use a small bow, made especially for him.

It was on a rainy day that young Aidan sat inside his home, staring towards the afforementioned woods, a slightly depressed look on his face. His mother looked at him, smiled then walked up behind him. She patted him on the head.

"Come now, stay away from the window. There's plenty of things you can do inside. Why don't you read one of your father's books?"

"Aww, but mom, I've read all of them already." Aidan turned away from the living room window and towards a bookshelf above their modest hearth. Four books sat in between a pair of potted plants. Lasorte didn't get very many books, they were usually all bought by the time the merchants made it to Gervad.

"How about your toys?" Annadi motioned towards a ramshackle collection of miniature soldiers. Aidan shrugged.

"I wanna play outside." he put on a pout.

"Well, you can't play outside, it's raining, we don't need you to get sick."

"But dad's outside, how come I can't go with him?"

"Dad has business, and he can't take you along. Besides, don't you like keeping me company? You don't want to make your old mom cry, do you?"

"No mom, I don't."

Suddenly the door flew open. Aidan's father walked in. He had a grim look on his face. "Aidan, go to your room."

"But da-"

"Go. Now. I need to talk to your mother, alone."

"But-"

"GO!"

"Fine, I'm going." Aidan slumped from his chair and slouched to his bedroom. He shut the door, then opened it again just a bit, to watch what his parents had to say. Stal removed his travel cloak and cap and shook off some of his water. Annadi brought him a warm cup of tea, and they moved next to the fireplace. Annadi was first to speak.

"Word from the elves?"

"Yes."

"Something wrong, I take it?"

"Quite wrong. It appears as something has made a planar rip in the woods somewhere. The elves are unsure, but they are keeping their eyes open."

"Is there more?"

"Yes. Half a dozen scouts disappeared mysteriously, without a trace. No doubt it has something to do with the rip. The Elder suggests demons."

"Dear me... what can we do..."

"I can fight... you, you can take Aidan and get out of here."

"No. I'm not letting you fight whatever's out there alone, I will remain by your side, no matter what."

"Don't be a fool, it is not worth it. Whatever happens, we will be together always. If you can have your life, take it. I will worry about mine."

The couple embraced, sharing a few tears then went off to bed. Aidan quickly jumped into his bed, but not before grabbing his bow from where it was propped in the corner of his room. He wasn't going to let anything happen to his dad, not without a fight.

~

Edited by: The Big Pointy One at: 2/20/02 10:48:27 pm

Just wondering if that's enough for my application? I have more to write, just not exactly right now. Oh yeah, and hopefully my siggy dealy will help too.

Upon further inspection, it appears as if that I'll have to wait until AFTER I'm accepted (assuming I do) to display my siggy dealy. nuts.

Edited by: The Big Pointy One at: 2/21/02 10:07:40 pm

That is certainly enough for an application, if you're statisfied with what you've written.

Give me a bit of time to respond... I'll probably be able to get to it tommorow...

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Grinning over the beginning of the story he wrote and confident that he'll be accepted, the Big Pointy One steps into Wyvern's office, smiling and waving his application sheet proudly in the air. No sooner has he layed one foot into the office, however, then his mouth drops open in a confusing stunned manner.

The chamber was a safe haven of illegal Mr. Bunny merchandise. Big Pointy One's eyes grow wider and wider as he looks from one end of the room to the other...

On the walls, several bootleg pictures and paintings of Mr. Bunny had been hung. There was a picture of Mr. Bunny in a G.I Joe uniform (with shades on and holding a semi-automatic as well) a painting of a mock Mona Lisa Mr. Bunny, a sketch of a kung fu type Mr. Bunny, and even a photo entitled 'Mr. Playboy Bunny'. On the shelves were stacked several volumes of illegal books: "How to be a Devoted Bootleg Mr. Bunny Fan", "Mr. Bunny, the Secrets of the Rabbit Behind the Fur", "Mr. Bunny meets Bunicula: A Murder Mystery", "How to Cook with Mr. Bunny: 1001 things to do with those Left Over Carrots" only to name a few. In the far corner of the room, Melba (Wyvern's almost secretary) is dusting off a bootleg dancing Mr. Bunny sculpture with her 'Mr. Bunny sweeper' while munching on a Mr. Bunny snackbar... BPO suddenly realizes he's standing on a Mr. Bunny Fur welcome mat, and let's out a little cry, jumping off...

Needless to say, Stick is outraged by the illegal set-up. Noticing that the Elder of Initiates hasn't returned to his office as of yet, BPO rushes to a Mr. Bunny phone that's sitting on Wyvern's desk, picks up the carrot-shaped reciever, and dials his lawyers number on buttons that appear to be representing Mr. Bunny's nipples...

Wyvern stretches and yawns as he walks with Jechum towards his office, getting ready to make another intiate acceptance. Upon reaching his door, he stops as he notices that inside his office sits Stick, a tall man in a blue suite with a briefcase, and an angry looking bunny. Rather then accompanying Wyvern as he had planned to, Jechum decides to keep walking down the hall past Wyv's office. "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil..." Jechum mutters to himself as he walks on...

"What is the meaning of this?!!" cries BPO, pointing at Wyv's office. "You've got some explaining to do!!!" Both the tall man in the suite and the bunny on the table nod. The man in the blue suite then stands up, points to the bunny on the table, clears his throat and says:

"My client, Mr. Bunny, is very displeased with the state of this office. He has asked that we sue..."

Wyvern stares at the tall man in the suite, then at the bunny on the table, and suddenly a grin spreads over his face.

"You mean that's Mr. Bunny?" Wyvern asks delightedly, walking up to the table top on which Mr. Bunny sits and leaning down to admire the rabbit "Awwwww... look'et'em... he's so sweet..."

Suddenly, Mr. Bunny's eyes flair red and the rabbit jumps out at Wyvern and savagely bites his nose, maintaining a firm grip with his teeth. Wyv cries out in pain and begins flailing around the room, trying to rid himself of Mr. Bunny's toothy bite. He trips backwards and goes crashing into a bookcase, which proceeds to knock over several bookcases in a domino effect. Melba stops her cleaning and laughs at Wyvern's misfortunes... until the final bookshelf collapses on her.

"O.K! O.K!!!" cries Wyvern, begging for Mr. Bunny's mercy "I'll tell you what, I'll accept your friend BPO's application if you can just let this one offense slide! That sound good to you?"

Mr. Bunny pauses his viscious attacks and turns to the Big Pointy One, who appears to be smiling and nodding eagerly. The rabbit lets go of his grip on Wyv's nose and nods, bouncing back over to his table position. The overgrown lizard stamps BPO's application 'ACCEPTED'...

OOC: An excellent beginning to your story BPO, it had me totally entranced. I especially liked the way you set the scene and kept the action going... can't wait to see the continuation. An ACCEPTED application, welcome to the Pen. Please send me an e-mail to elitwack90@hotmail.com or post your e-mail here so I can send you passes and such.

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 2/23/02 8:13:57 pm

Well, that says it... excellent. Love the response ^.^

My e-mail is atma_sliver@yahoo.com. I look forward to working with everyone here... *semi-evil grin plays at Stick's face*

And yes, I WILL be finishing this, just not right now... expect during the week, when I'm on more ^.^