The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

If I may...

Sitting on a large stone mound/throne, a lanky youth finishes scrawling hastily onto a parchment. He has long straight midnight black hair, which on close inspection appears to be artificially colored. He matches this with black thin wispy sheet clothes. Which are draped about his shoulders and arms giving the effect of wings. His face is quite typical, hold two aspects: He has a slightly paler complexion than most (lack of sunlight most likely), and really cool looking silver contacts, which hide the birth-color of his eyes. This is Nyyark, and he is about to apply for The Pen.

"Crow," Nyyark calls.

"Kaaa?," she replies.

"Take this as the crow flies to the The Pen is Mightier than the Sword, and let them know I wish to enter" Nyyark exclaims, laughing at his own crow humor. Crow just rolls her eye.

Crow hops over and takes the scroll into her beak, then takes off in large fluid flaps.

"Now where is this place I'm to go," wonders Crow, "Well lets see... I guess I need to figure out where the pen is mightier than the sword. Hmm... On an executioners block, with a writ of pardon, In The capitol, where the pen lays the laws, and on a James Bond set."

So Crow flies to all of these places, but as the writ is presented so is a note "Sorry The Pen has moved to a new location", and in clause 28 of the recently signed bill the same was stated. Last but not least as Bond uses his pen to escape the pit of whirling swords, Crow dejectedly find the same words.

Where where where...

Oh, of course. In the hand of a writer. So Crow goes back south to Nyyark's migrating tower, Nythrildal.

Nyyark looks up in surprise. "Crow are you done."

"Ka" states Crow.

"Ok" says Nyyark, "I'll hold a pen"

Then a as he plucks up the pen a gate opens to The Pen. Crow quickly hops in.

Inside she finds an elderly man and hops over to him.

"Kaaaa" she says.

He looks puzzled, but take the parchment offered. It appears to be a entance form, in poem form.

Darwin's Parabola

The crow pecks thrice and began:

Peck, Pecking,

Chip, chip

Chips the rock

Chips rock

Potato chips like rocks

stale, stall,

pig stall, pig sty,

blue pig, pig's eye

pig says "Just Remember..." but its never done

fusion like the sun

Beacon Bacon Beckons

Frogs.

Leaping, splashing, swimming, dancing

Wet watery waltz

Water waltz

See water waltz

Water waltzes well

Waltz, water, waltz

Water waltz

Water Falls

Falls, falls

Falls that never end.

A lasting signal of end is Ironic

Ironic

Iron-Hic!

A massive man of metal,

Gears like a Machine,

Has a machete,

Its never clean.

He knows where you roost

He doesn't like crows

He gets his masseuse

And the Crows he...

Salutations number 39

Its a pea pod

what?

three pea pods

Pea pods

spore pods

more pods

explorer pods

pods in space

like astroships

astro-ships

Potato Chips!

Chips

Chip, chip, chip

And the crow pecks thrice and ended.

The elderly man looks up just in time to see Crow vanish back through the portal.

Guest Minta Rose

A tiny feather from the curve of the crow's head tumbled into the portal, flying into a garden of pure marble statuary and clinging to the earlobe of a female figure.

Not a statue, but a golem: she stirred after many months, and the red returned to cheeks and lips and hair and shoes. Stiff, shiny patent leather dress covered less than togas and boots rose higher than sandals. Out of place among the statuary, she stepped forward to a clearing and clicked open her purse. She extracted a unicorn's horn on an arm's-length pink ribbon and, sorting through a handful of clay medallions, a diagram of the constellation Draco, threaded upon a necklace of similar ribbon.

Sossity blew a single clear note upon the hollow horn; an unclaimed chimera lanced from the sky and slammed its claws into the earth, glowering and lowering its heads. She lassoed it with the mark of Draco and, pinching at her ear, laid the feather upon the lion's head's nose. It licked and swallowed as Sossity grasped the end of the ribbon and swung the unicorn's horn in a circle above her head. When the air whistled and roared, the chimera vaulted into the sky. She remained, crooning and commanding, as other dedicated chimeras dropped from the sky to report. . .

Just as Nyyark's crow reaches the portal, a chimera flies through the air and knocks the poor bird to the side as if it were nothing more then a flying black rag. The portal closes before the crow can get back through, and he is then brutaly knocked by two other chimeras in flight. Weak and desperatly trying to stay airborn, the poor crow plummets to the ground, crashing on a rock and going unconcious...

Back at his encampment, Nyyark begins to worry... His favorite pet Crow had been gone for an unaturally long period of time, and he still hadn't recieved news of whether or not his application to the Pen had been accepted. Several of the crows in the surrounding territories, who had been the pet Crow's friends, begin forming rebel anti-chimera alliances that abided by nativist crow beliefs. These groups then begin gathering together, and soon an enormous army of crows has formed...

A vicious leader and crow general by the name of Sherman Te-caw-msuh then begins orginizing a raid against the chimeras which is to be known as 'Saving Private Crow'. In this raid, the crows would penetrate enemy chimera lines and save the pet Crow... if he was still alive, that is. Te-caw-msuh decides to execute the rather simplistic plan immediatly...

Turning to Nyyark, the crows ask him to join them in the valient quest to save the pet Crow. Nyyark hesitates and then refuses, arguing that it would be impossible to break the chimera lines with a set of beaks and flapping wings. This enraged Te-caw-msuh and the crows, and they sieged Nyyark, tarring and feathering him. They then dressed him up as a crow and declared him their mascot. The crows procede to charge towards battle, dragging poor Nyyark tied on a pole behind them...

The first battle in the Crow-Chimera War (which is perhaps the bloodiest war in crow history) was that of Crow's Run. The enormous flock of birds valiently rushed at the chimera defensive line, despite being obviously overpowered. One of the chimeras famously called out "Don't breath fire until you see the whites of their beaks!" As the crows beaks weren't white but yellow, this was a fatal error. The crows actually managed to win the battle, catching the chimera's off guard and pecking on all their heads at once.

Several other battles ensued, and the crows quickly formed a song known as 'The Tar Spangled Nyyark' to boost moral. The war finally ended with the airborn battle Appotomochimera, in which it supposedly rained crows and hailed chimeras from the sky. The crow army ultimatly won, and Nyyark's pet crow was saved...

Turning to Nyyark, who had now been freed from his pole, the first thing the pet Crow manages to mutter is "You... were... ACCEPTED..."

;p

OOC: A very good application Nyyark, you're accepted as an initiate. I enjoyed reading the poem 'Darwin's Parabola' and particularly liked it's freestyle nature and closure, in which it came full cirlce. Once again, well done.

[image]http://www.legion-whiterose.com/signatures/aoa/wyv.gif[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 12/19/01 9:56:55 pm

*One pair of yellow eyes fix the Crow with lots of curiosity. Cambronne, Celes' black cat, looks over the feathered animal, wondering if it could make a better play mate than French girl's other cat, Carbone, who is always grumpy toward him. Right before he thinks to jump in the air, his mistress takes him in her arms.*

- "Non, non ,non! Ce n'est pas de la bouffe ailée!", scolded Celes to her cat

(Trans: No, no, no! Its not winged food!)

*She then reads the poem entitled "Darwin Parabola" while her cat is wriggling in her arms.*

- "That is excellent!", Celes said with enthousiasm, "I imagine it recited with African like drums and rythm in the background. Congratulations for your acceptance!"

*She then returns with her cat in her arms while mimiking the tumbling of a drum with her mouth.*

Guest Minta Rose

"Cassi'peia, come to me!" shouted Sossity hoarsely, her voice clear over the whistling roar of the spinning horn. Underneath the wide-brimmed hat, her hair did not feel the wind of the horn's passing. "Leda, come to me!"

From opposite directions the chimeras answered the call and swooped down to skim the earth before folding their wings and dropping the last few inches. Cassiopeia's lion's head leaned over and sniffed at Leda's eagle's feathers, curious. Sossity lowered the lure and clicked her tongue twice; both chimeras snapped their heads around to stare at her.

"Leda, tell me what y'know," Sossity cajoled, and the chimera screamed and growled and bleated, all three heads chattering at once. The woman listened, sometimes screeching or crooning to clarify a point. A shadow fell over the group, and the chimeras raised their mammalian noses to the sky, but Sossity's eyes were in permanent shadow.

"Cassi'peia, tell me--" she began, but a shockwave cut her short. Draco's body lay broken and bloodied where it fell, sending up a dustcloud from the hard-packed ground. Sossity clicked her tongue again and knelt by his body, muttering "'Tleast he was cons'crated 'fore he died." Her hands, in heavy white leather gloves, ripped the ribbon and reclaimed the medallion. She set the unicorn's horn upon the ground, point upright, then balanced the medallion on its point and spun the disc. It twirled and fell, landing blank side up.

"He refused. . .Refused t'be th'unicorn child an' fall under th'protection of bein' unknown. Never had a unicorn before pass to th'mortal world. Times are changin'."

Cassiopeia's goat's head began chewing at her collar as Sossity dropped the medallion of Draco back into her purse. Before the woman could rise to her feet again, the second medallion fell at her feet. She put it away without comment and did not look up when she-who-was-once-Cassiopeia spread her wings and ran, gaining lift and tucking her feet away from the earth.

Sossity stretched out her glove, and Leda lowered her lion's head, helping push the woman to her feet. In return, she tore the ribbon binding Leda to her medallion. "Times are changin'," she repeated, "an' th'unicorns are no more. No place f'r them t'hide an' be safe any more. Time f'r them t'fledge." She removed the medallion and patted the chimera on the back before stepping back and watching it fly.

“Crow!” Nyyark called, painfully dropping to his knees, raw with rope burn. “Are you alright? What’s going on?” His stomach lurched as he looks around.

More carrion than The Five Flocks could eat. Re-evaluating the large number of ex-crows he wondered if there are still five flocks.

“Oh Crow…” but he was cut off a flashing flurry dark wings and black talons, which hastily make off with her. “Look at this,” Nyyark gestured to the battlefield, “I told you it wouldn’t end well.” his voice dropped to a whisper “I told you it wouldn’t end well.”

“All this,” Nyyark thought, “just to get into The Pen.” The Pen! Crow had said he made it. “I wonder if there’s some sort of ceremony?” wondered Nyyark, “I hope so, I need something to take my mind off this. I can forget this. I can…”

Meanwhile…

In the plains of Nyth, a mole clawed its way out of its ground. It betrayed its paranoia by glancing over its shoulder, then it opened its mouth. Its mouth kept opening. Suddenly a crow leapt out, hopped twice, then shot off. It flew rapidly, darting through the air.

Searchingly the crow scanned the horizon for the large dead tree it desired. Then it navigated through the tree’s branches and landed lightly on one scarred with talon markings.

Three hollow thuds resounded off the trunk, then the crow sat back and waited. The section of trunk immediately before the crow swung inward, and he was greeted by another crow.

“Come Kastar,” he croaked, “and tell us what you have learned.” Kastar proceeded into the trunk, and down to The Jets Underground HQ, an extremist group formed during Crow-Chimera war, hating all multiple headed creatures, especially chimeras. Kastar motioned all of his fellows near with a sweep of his wings. Murder burned in his black eyes.

“The enemy’s name,” cackled Kastar, “is Sossity.”

Edited by: Nyyark at: 12/24/01 10:32:50 am