The Horny Druid,

Scholar of the Ancient Arts,

Holder of the Eye of Odin.

"The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream."

-Wallace Stevens

"When at home, do as the Homans do." –Xradion

Edited by: Xradion at: 5/9/02 3:37:19 am

Guest Xradion

Thanks for your comments. If you do 'break out the brandy,' then make it cognac, or better yet, armgnac, old chap, a-ha-ha-ha-ha (to be read in a haughty voice). Anyway, I'll save my comments 'till you get a chance to re-read this poem .

Xradion,

The Horny Druid,

-Wallace Stevens

Wyvern offers Justin and Xradion a few mock-crystaline glasses of Bruteweiser to quench their growing thirsts before sitting down and examining the poetry carefully with a pair of elegant spectacles...

Very interesting poem, Xradion. As I see it, the poem is primarily based around the concept of age... When we are young, we tend to want to become adults yet at the same time are fearfull of some of the connotations of doing so. However, ironicaly enough, when many grow old they tend to long to recapture their childhood. I believe this poem captures these two opposing emotions, as the two images of the man depicted may represent two points in his life (his childhood and old age). There is a great antithesis in the feelings expressed by the two, yet at the same time they are one and the same...

On a side note, mirrors seem to truly be in style in the Banquet Room! I had ought to start up a business selling cheap, non-refundable mirrors at relatively low prices... *much evil laughter*

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 5/9/02 9:21:27 pm

Guest Xradion

Thanks for you comments, Wyvern. There are certainly elements of what you described in my poem. Actually, I was trying to infuse this poem with a sort of atemporal quality. This poem describes me in a transition period of my life (an adolescent moving into adulthood). As I look into the mirror, I remember what I used to look like, what my views of the world used to be. And I also try to imagine what I am going to be like in the future. I fear winding up like that old man, but know that it is a distinct possibility. And I love and long for the innocence of that child, but I know that I ultimately cannot return to that state of mind, nor would I want to. In the poem, I am both my younger self and my older self existing simultaneously, coming together to complete me as I am right now. Of course, describing it this way makes it seem rather dull. Thanks for taking the time to read this, Wyvern, Justin, and Gyrfalcon. As always, your comments are much appreciated. Until next rhyme...

Xradion,

The Horny Druid,

-Wallace Stevens