The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

It's My Right

Guest Cheye69

Guest Cheye69

What right do you have to be writing words of love?

While I lay her miserable cursing God above?

To hold what we had to cheaply and free

Why could I not see what we will never be?

Be of one mind and body one soul by choice

Instead I still lay here in a daydream of course

I dream of wild days of carefree adventure

Nights of passion and wonderful splendor

This is another thing you have taken from me

In you never caring world of hypocrisy

I can finally see you as you really are

You are not my light you are not my star

Your soul is dry cold and shriveled

A mere shell of the woman I loved.

I sit here wondering at your words of hate

Trying to take away my right to facilitate

A peaceful life without you by my side

A world cleared or sorrows without secrets to hide

You deny me my right to scream and shout

While you sit there damning me with a childish pout

You have never been my one true love

I can do without your screams to God above

My soul mate is not a person of strife

He fulfills me brings joy to my life

I have always seen you for what you are

A child content to curse a rising star

My soul once spoke to yours on an even peaceful level

That is another thing you have destroyed with your right to hate.

darn typos...

Edited by: Cheye69 at: 2/23/02 11:42:08 am

On a first read through the poem, the reader will immediatly take note of the antithesis between images of love and hatred. There are several of these throughout the poem, a few of the most notable being "words of love" in comparison to "cursing God above" and "person of strife" in comparison to "joy of my life".

Another cluster of images deals with different rights that the narrator has as a person. This can be seen when he contemplates the hatefull words of his once beloved, and states that they are "Trying to take away my right to facilitate". Another place where rights can be seen is at the end of the poem, where the narrator notes that "That is another thing you have destroyed with your right to hate.". Thus, it is important to note that both the narrator and his previous loved one have rights as a person, as all people should...

The tone of the poem, which is told in the first person, is generaly one of anger and dismay. However, through closer inspection, one may note a small sign of regret at the last line of the poem. The narrator states "My soul once spoke to yours on an even peaceful level/That is another thing you have destroyed with your right to hate." Here, the narrator is looking back at the times when he and his loved one were peacefull and happy, and taking note of how hatred destroyed it.

The ultimate theme of the poem, in my humble opinion, is that hatred can only bring about more hatred. Voicing one's disgust and loathing towards another previously loved accomplishes nothing, and can only lead to hurt feelings and a create a certain sense of betrayal. Note that while the narrator is venting his anger to his formerly beloved in this poem, there are no winners here. Both the narrator and his previous love have succumbed to hatred.

Good poem. I look forward to reading more of your stuff, Cheye.

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 2/23/02 5:57:29 pm