The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Quill-Quest: Impossible

In a pitch black screen, you see a dynamite's fuse burning from left to right. You also see Quill-Quest: Impossible's white logo. There's several zoomings on the Q's and O's, a picture of each cast member.

Balladore as Jim Phelps

Celes Crusader as Cinnamon Carter

Falcon2k1 as Rollin Hand

Valdar and Astralis as Barney Collier

For Caliber as Willy Armitage

The fuse ends its path at the right side of the screen and blows as the infamous M:I theme stops

Jim Phelps walks in a shopping center with a locker's key in his hand. He head's for the mall's lockers area and find the door which his key fits. He unlocks it and pulls out a large orange envelope. He decides to go back to the nearby hotel in which he rented a room. He sits down quietly on a sofa and opens his finding. He pulls out a paper sheet and a tape player. Jim puts the player on a nearby coffee table and plays it.

"Good morning, Mr.Phelps.  The secretary is unsatisfied by our actual link library. In fact, several sites for prose, poems and writing communities are still unlisted, which complicates researches for quality and cultural references.  The mission, Jim, should you decide to accept it, is to wander in the planescape realms and link our Library to prose dedicated sites.  As always, should you or any of your IM Force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.  This tape will self-destruct in five seconds.  Good luck, Jim."

After five seconds, the tape burns suddenly and its extinguised a few seconds later. Jim picks up his document holder and pulls out several pictures. One by one, he chooses his other collaborators. Rollin Hand, a master of disguise and illusion. Cinnamon Carter, a beauty who's as skillfull as she's seductive. Barney Collier, the ingenious gadgeteer. Willy Armitage, the strong guy who can manoeuver any machines.

Hours later

"As you know", started Jim Phelps, "We're in dire need of a more complete Link Library. Therefore, we need all our skills to find a decent and worth mentionning prose site."

Barney pulls out a case and opens it. Then, he turns it to the assembly to show his new invention. In fact, there's five square boxes with a small keyboard on it and a small screen.

"I can programm these devices so that they'll guide us in the planescapes for prose sites.", the gadgeteer started, "As you can see, I've already made enough of these for everyone."

"Excellent work!" exclaims Jim

"I think we should modified our appearance a little bit", adds Rollin, "I do think that the secretary wants our true identity to stay secret."

"I've got a fairly good idea of what I'll be looking for", adds Cinnamon, "Do we have intra-planescape communication devices in hand?"

"We do!", replies Willy, "And there's enough for everyone.

After some appearance modifications and devices tweakings, our heroes are ready to step in the planescapes. Jim Phelps opens the portal and everyone wishes good luck to each other and are lauch in their mission.

Neither I nor any of the following authors own Mission: Impossible. M:I charatcers and theme is used for entertainement, non-profit purposes only.

Edited by: Lady Celes Crusader  at: 3/21/02 11:17:10 pm

A large man with red hair and a pair and ski goggles on marched into the bar at the Alpine Terrace and ordered a drink, brushing snow out of his beard.

"Here you go, one scotch on the rocks." The bartender said, sliding his drink over to him. The man took a long drink and sighed. Good alcohol was so hard to find up here.

"Aye, that's a drink well worth the walk, I ken tell ye that much, friend. So, kinne'ye tell a good soul where he can find the Count Melbory's castle? I've heard a lot about him and how he's lookin' fer a special book that I may be able to help him find, fer a price." he asked the bartender.

The bartender looked at him for a few seconds, then smiled a little. "I think that I can help you. What's your name, friend?"

The red-haired man laughed. "I'm known as Brian McLeod, good man, and the count has heard of me before, I believe."

The bartender laughed good-naturedly and walked around behind the bar and opened a door. "If you go through here you'll meet a man who will take you to see the count. Good luck."

Brian laughed and walked through the door...

~to be continued~

Cioden Darkeye

Quill-Bearer - The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

President of the Peredhil Fan Club

Owner of the Reply Raven - Enemy to all those who never post responses

Ashaman - WoT - Blitz II

Council - The Hunters - Blitz II

Leisure Officer - SFV Ultima - Beta

Guest Balladore

Jim Phelps walked through the desert he had come upon, instantly after departing from the group, and was dodging spirals of sand coming up around him every few minutes. After a while, he comes to a small town, and wanders through to the center. Here he finds a bar, and enters. Immediately, the din of noise that had been produced by the bar's patrons reduces to zero, as the occupants turn to stare at Jim.

Jim ignores this, and finds a path through the crowded room to the bar, where he orders a scotch on the rocks. The bartender suspiciously fetches his drink, and promptly asks for payment, which Jim readily gives. As he sips his scotch, the bartender asks "What's your name, fancy-pants?"

"Carl Montague," replied Jim coolly, adding a slight accent to his normal voice, and looking the bartender in the eye.

"Well Carl, I think you oughta finish that drink and just take yeself outta here... Whaddya say, boys?" replied the bartender, and there were murmurs of agreement througout the room. Jim shifted uneasily... he hated situations like this.

"Look, gentlemen, I'm just trying to have a drink in a friendly-"

"Well we don't like newcomers, Got it?!" yelled a man in the crowd, standing quickly and pushing his chair back, which made a shriek as it slid across the wood floor...

Jim gulped... it always happened; some hotheaded guy always had to start something... and then, of course, everyone in the town happened to be behind him... Geez. Oh well, here goes nothing.

Standing, Jim said to the man "Well, I'll leave right now, if you insist." Then the secret agent gulped down his drink and made for the door... only to be stopped by a shove from the man who'd stood up.

"Hey! I said we don't like newcomers, so we're gonna prove it. Let's show him some "hospitality", eh boys?" others stood quickly, all ready to help out their fellow townsmen, just as Jim had predicted.

There was a moment's silence; you could've heard a pin drop. No one moved, and no one breathed... in a second, that was gone. With a swift kick to the man's private area, Jim sent the man who had him by the collar sprawling. Men rushed around him, and he punched furiously, sending hooks and haymakers everywhere. Eventually, a group of 3 held him down, and panting, they said to him "Had... enough... city... boy?"

Groaning from his various bruises and abrasions, Jim said "I'm not even started yet," and exerted all his strength, flipping over to be on top of the three, punching each of them before rolling out of the way of an airborne chair. A man leaped up onto a table in front of him, and kicked at his head; Jim ducked, and turned the table over on top of the man.

"Well, I'd love to stay and brawl, but I've got a meeting. Hope you all had fun!" and with that, Jim turned tail and ran out the door, with one or two giving chase.

As he came to an alley, he turned down it, and the men kept running down the main drag. He bent over and held his knees, catching his breath. He looked up, and saw a sign describing a shady club, but there was no music coming from it... odd. Jim composed himself and went inside, only to find it empty. He did notice a side door behind a bar, which was in one corner against the wall. He walked stealthily across the vacant club, and tossed himself over the bar as silently as a cat. He took an "on-the-rocks" glass from the bar, placed it against the door, and put his ear on the glass. This magnified the sound, and he could hear the following conversation:

"Tony, Tony, Tony... you wouldn be a-tryin' to cheats me, wouldja?"

"Uh-Uh-course not, boss, I'm jus' tellin' yous what da guy whats sold me deese said, boss... boss, this is less than what he gave 'em te me fer... please, boss..."

"Tony, you know I can tell when you are lyin' ta me... why do ya gotsta lie ta me, Tony?"

"I-I ain't lyin', boss... these links is top-notch-- really boss, dey is! Look, dis one 's got all sortsa good tools-- specially for that underground writin ring thingy yous runs, boss..."

"Tony, I don't like it when you lie to me... boys, maybe we needs to show this slug how we deals wit liers..."

"No, boss... no... not the-- chinese water torture!"

Jim removes his ear from the glass, as maniacal screams fill the club mixed with the sounds of drops falling periodically...

Drop, scream... Drop, scream... Drop, scream...

Finally, Jim can't stand the sound of this torture anymore, and breaks down the door. He enters the room to see Tony strapped in a chair, with a man standing over him with a dixie cup with a small hole punched in the bottom of it, watter dripping out every minute or so.

"What the heaven??!! GET HIM!" yells the man that was referred to as "Boss." The man with the dixie cup flings the water in Jim's face, with some getting in his eyes.

"Auggh!" screams Jim... this was torture. His sight blurrs, and he can't see.

"I'm melting, I'm melting!" yells Tony, completely oblivious to what's going on in the room, while Jim struggles to see...

The voice of his mentor comes to him, though, in several flashbacks...

"Praying mantis always kneel before attack!"

"Use all senses, Jim-san!"

"The sun is warm, the grass is green..."

"Always observe "Blue light special" before buying anything else!"

Oh, what did he know, anyway? thinks Jim, and just punches and kicks blindly all around him. One of his punches connects with the man that flung water at him, and knocks him out cold, leaving only "Tony" and the "Boss" still remaining in the room.

"Boss" sneaks up behind Jim evilly, as he cannot see. The boss kicks Jim in the behind for a few minutes, stopping to snicker in between kicks, and then finall gets serious and pushes Jim into the wall behind Tony in the chair, who is still "melting."

Jim kicks once more, and connects with the chair, which goes sprawling across the room. It hits the Boss in the foot, who yelps in pain... "You won this time, Phelps, but I'll get the last laugh... just you wait!"

Jim hears footsteps (besides Tony yelling "I'm melting, I'm melting!") and then all is quiet (besides Tony yelling "I'm melting, I'm melting").

Suddenly, Jim remembers his hankerchief in his inside pocket, and wipes his eyes; miraculously, his sight returns, and he can see again.

Tony, still in the chair that is now tipped over on the floor, finally realizes that he is not melting, and says "Hey! Thanks!" to Jim.

Jim unties him, and as a thank you, he gives the links to Jim;

"They're really useless, I was just trying to score a little bonus for the wife and kids by selling them to Black Bobby there."

"Right..." says Jim, taking the link reluctantly. He examines it, and sees that it is exactly what he was looking for in the first place! Great! That instant he opens a portal, link in hand, and walks back to the Hotel room. Putting a link next to Cinnamon's in a briefcase, he uses his wrist-watch communicator to say "Mission accomplished. Rondezvous in progress," to all the rest of the team members.

Jim goes into the bathroom, runs his pocket comb through his hair, gives himself a thumbs up, and goes downstairs to meet Cinnamon in the restaraunt/bar.

OOC: The link is poetry.com; I selected this link because of the numerous tools for writers to use, such as the online dictionary/thesaurus, which also does rhymes!

Edited by: Balladore at: 5/3/02 9:22:57 pm

• 2 weeks later...

Cinnamon Carter operates her planescape voyage device and looks over the different portals. She noticed one in particular that seems to house an Internet writers community. She was looking for the link key, which would normally allowed a short route between the Pen and this site, but she couldn't see it. The blond bombshell walks over a café and sits at a table that was not to far from the bar. Moments later, while drinking her cappucino, she overheard a conversation about that writers community.

- "I've just had my membership to enter the manor.", clams a woman who have the same proportions' as Cinnamon, "I've waited for it since so long."

- "I'm so proud for you", replies her friend while looking at her watch, "I have to go. I'm awaited for my lecture."

- "See you later", replies back the first woman.

The second lady leaves the café. Cinnamon smiles inwardly; this girl will be very useful. Cinnamon finishes her cappucino and walks outside the café. She spots an alley in which there's a cloth dumpster and thinks that its an excellent hiding place. The sexy agent waits for a moment and the woman walks out heading to the opposite direction to the alley. Cinnamon drops her purse in a noisy way. Her victim turned around to help her but the spy injects sleeping drugs in the writer's arm. After the woman fells asleep, Cinnamon drags her behind the dumpster. Ciannamon pulls out small wax mold, in which she casts her victim's fingerprints. She then uses a spray that quickly changes the color of her hair in order to matches the girl's red color. She uses green contact lenses, applies finger print skins on her's and borrows some of her victim's clothing in order to complete her quick made disguise. She then, ties the woman off and puts her in the dumpster. She puts her stuff back together and check the lady's purse for her ID. The card reads: Elaine Delanoe.

Perfect! I've got an ID and a disguise, I've got 45 minutes to get this done

Cinnamon, now Elaine, heads over the manor, ready to get the link. At the gate she sees the name given to the huge construction: "The Able Muse Recollection". She looks around the area and sees a woman pressing her index on a device that scanned her finger prints, then a small door next to the gate opens, allowing the woman to step in. Our spy in disguise smiles and heads toward the the lock. She puts her index as instructed and she makes her first step within this large community.

Its so huge! Where I'm supposed to find the link key? I need to find someone who'll guide me within this place.

Cinnamon walks over a rather small gathering of what it seems a group of newly accepted members. The men and women are chatting with each other while a man seems to wait for someone. Intrigued, the agent walks over the gentlemen who seems to be relieved by her sight.

- "Madame!", he quickly said with his strong French accent, "Are you by any chance Elaine Delanoe?"

- "Yes I am, sir.", answers the impostor while mimicry the original's pronunciations.

- "Oh! Excellent then!", replies a rather relieved gentlemen, "Join up with the others so we may started our guided tour."

Cinnamon obeys and the guide hailed his group in order to have their full attention. The writers stopped their chatters and looks over the rather tall gentleman.

- "Greetings, Mesdames et Messieurs," starts the writer, "Welcome to the Able Muse Recollection Manor. My name is Édouard Montpellier and I'll be your humble guide for this tour. Please follow me."

Édouard leads his group in the gargantuesque main hall. What Cinnamons sees left her breathless. Heavily inspired by "La Belle Époque", impressionist style artworks decorated the walls and the dome ceilling of the impressive entrance. A olive green carpet covers the champain marble tiles from the entrance to the main stairs.

- "Impressive isn't it?", asks the guide with a touch of pride in his tone.

He then introduce the writer's community. The lady agent listens intently for anything interesting but so far, no luck. The group travels from room to room, with nothing about links for Cinnamon. Then, the group heads for the library.

- "Here, in the library", Édouard introduces, "you can find books of all ages and on any formats. This is the favorite place for writers to find their muse, to ressources themselves or to study writing techniques and styles."

The group climbs a stairway and heads for a room. Computers and links library are aligned ordely on desks.

- "This room is for the most adventurous of us.", resumes the guide, "This is where the adventurers of the planescape do their researches. We have a link library here. Some said that it is scace, is that because we don't give away our link key easily. Although that some manages to have our link without our consent, we prefer to give this link to other writers community. But, we cannot hold it to secure for our own members and we make our link key avalaible for them so they can safely return here."

He then shows a black box in the corner with a small scanning device.

- "The link key is here and the procedure to access it is the same that is applied at the gates. We will provide you key cards at the end of this tour. Now, lets proceed to the next room."

Cinnamon looks at the time, she only have 10 minutes left and she can't afford waisting much time. When the guide and the remaining of the group left the room and proceeds downstair, she quickly opens her purse and grab her link downloader. She opens the black box with the scanning device and inserted it in the link key's opening. The link's exchange went up smoothly and she smiles when she sees The Pen's link is now mentioned. With now a copy of the link key, she quickly pulled out the device, shoved it back in her purse, closed the back box and leves the library.

She manages to catch up the group dicreetly and she was relieved to see that nobody noticed her absence. She looks around the new place and she finds out that the tour has not ended yet. Cinnamon asks for the lady's room and Édouard nicely tells her the direction, which was the opposite direction of where the group is heading while mentionning about the rest of the tour. The agent nods and heads for the restrooms. She waits for 2 minutes and heads back for the gate. She finally make her way out of the manor's field and quickly returns to the alley, where she left the real Elaine. She opened the dumpster lid and gives the still drugged Elaine back the stuff she borrowed from her. She wrotes down the indications for the guided tour and writes down the guide's name on a piece of paper. Then, she left the alley and returns to the planecaspes portal.

Once back at the hotel, she opens the Pen's link updater and downlaods the Able Muse link. With a smile she decided to leave a note to the others who havent returned from their trip that she is waiting for them at the Hotel's bar.

Here's the link

www.ablemuse.com/

Edited by: Lady Celes Crusader  at: 4/8/02 7:20:42 pm

• 5 weeks later...

Brian walked into the study of the count, a large man about Brian's size and fit with a large black beard that concealed much of his features, and a large hat that helped out the beard immensely. After shooing away his butler, the count leaned back in his immense chair and laughed.

"Well, Brian, I hear that you can deliver me a certain book...one filled with all the secrets that the Might Pen has to offer!" The count wasn't quite right in the head, Brian noticed, but he was willing to make concessions for insanity.

"I'll be asking for a wage in return...I'll need the password to your private database."

"Out of the question, only I am allowed in there, and my thumbprint is the scanner password."

Brian shrugged, leveled a secreted gun at the count, and shot him three times, once in the right lung, once in the heart, and once in the brain. Seconds later, he was moving quickly. Stepping forward, he took off his beard and put it away inside his coat, then he pulled out a bushy black one and fastened it to his face securely. After that he grabbed the count's clothing and put it on, making sure it fit well. Hiding the count's body under the desk, he quickly applied a glove to the count's thumbprint and waited for a few seconds, then pressed a button and slipped it on. Walking out, he motioned for the butler.

"John, I'm going to need to go see the database...that scoundrel escaped out the window."

The butler nodded and led the way to a large door with a thumbprint scanner. Stepping forward, the fake count pressed his thumb to the scanner, and waited. Seconds later the doors opened, and he stepped through.

Once inside, he worked fast. Slipping into the machine, he typed in the locator qualities and quickly found what he was looking for.

www.fanfiction.net

Brian smiled broadly and tapped the keys that sent it through a dizzying path through the internet straight to a small unobtrusive node labeled PenNet.

Smiling to himself, he tapped in a few more commands and then left the building, activating the transporter seconds before the castle exploded.

Kay, maybe the real guy wouldn't have blown up the place, but oh well...four weeks of Ranma 1/2 in Anime Club with no 'splodey' bits is starting to wear on me...oh well.

And www.fanfiction.net kicks so much butt, it isn't even funny.

It rocks ALMOST as much as I do.

Cioden Darkeye

Quill-Bearer - The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

President of the Peredhil Fan Club

Owner of the Reply Raven - Enemy to all those who never post responses

Ashaman - WoT - Blitz II

Council - The Hunters - Blitz II

Leisure Officer - SFV Ultima - Beta