The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Writing Exercises - The No-Reading Thread

Katzaniel

Hi!

It seems to me that many of us desire something to do with writing to practice the art, and stretch our writing muscles before we actually get writing - but in our busy lives, it's sometimes difficult to spend the time necessary to fully catch up with what others have written, and by the time you've done that, you're out of time to actually write.

So my idea with this thread is that we all write something together - without actually reading what the people before us wrote.

1. Excepting this first post, you are strongly encouraged not to read anything in this thread except for the single paragraph of the person before you.

2. Write whatever you wish, using the last paragraph for inspiration when you like. I'm kind of hoping for a continuing, albeit probably non-cohesive story, but it's much better just to get writing than to worry about that, so if you'd rather write something unrelated to anything, go ahead. (Although if it's not at least loosely inspired by this thread, you might consider posting it in its own thread).

3. Put everything but your last paragraph in spoiler tags. (See "Other styles" above). Andp lease make your last paragraph short - one to three moderately-sized sentences, if you need a guideline - as a favour to the person after you. (If the person before you failed to do this, feel free to ignore them completely. You're not here to read, you're here to write!)

4. If you really wish to read the whole thread, please do so only after you've posted.

Now, give me a moment to get us started in the next post. (Remember, unless you're the first person replying to this, you're supposed to skip ahead now!)

Lately, Johnny thought, Things are not looking up for me.

Johnny stood at the top of a large tower, looking down. The tower was 19 stories tall, and made of dull concrete. It had cost precisely $230,050.33 to build. Johnny knew that, because he owned this building. He had designed it and financed it mostly by himself. And now he stood atop it, watching cars go by. Funny how the white ones always clumped together.

He shook his head, trying not to think about that. Instead, he wondered how he had gotten here. Not just in the last few days, but what life events had conspired to really bring him to this? A long story, that. A story best told, perhaps, with flashbacks...

He shook his head, trying not to think about that. Instead, he wondered how he had gotten here. Not just in the last few days, but what life events had conspired to really bring him to this? A long story, that. A story best told, perhaps, with flashbacks...

It had been a perfectly ordinary day. A few clouds in the sky, perhaps, but what was life without a few shadows? A tall man hummed merrily as he sauntered along, walking stick in hand, going nowhere in particular.

• 3 weeks later...

It had been a perfectly ordinary day. A few clouds in the sky, perhaps, but what was life without a few shadows? A tall man hummed merrily as he sauntered along, walking stick in hand, going nowhere in particular.

Small, scantily clad workers looked up from their chores, as the gentleman sauntered past the field. The workers recognized the tune since several were children of the "Bringers."