The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Clockwork4

Atadiusti

This strip is designed to do 2 things: offer a general idea of Mortimer's objective, and show how difficult it is to get an airship pilot, especially if the destination is a myth, and especially if no one knows where the destination is. Originally had cut him right into the bar and find Wahlter, but when I looked at it something seemed off, things were just too easily done. I decided I had 3 options: Run with it, and hope the audience wasn't bothered, hang a lantern on Mortimer's luck. He is, after all, supposed to be subtly lucky; even when things don't work out they'll lead to a situation that just couldn't have happened (as well) otherwise. For instance when his rocket boots broke. *sigh* those rocket boots... If his rocket boots had not broke, he'd have gone on to Italy, and then he'd have never found the "band of merry travelers" he will now, or worse. I chose to insert this strip into the story, it took away the feeling of things being too easy, kept Mort's subtle luck in play, and it didn't break into or detract from the plot

Setting: Düsseldorf docks, West Germany; August, 2009 AD, Afternoon

Mortimer enters the dockhouse. A plaque by the door reads “Rhein-Fluss; Luftschiff und Bootsyard.”

Mortimer asks, “Could I hire you to help me find Cook?”

Montage of random pilots:

Pilot1 “You want me to fly you to a FAIRY TALE!? Are you crazy?”

Pilot2 “Cook? That place doesn't exist. It's a story made up to give Romanis a sense of importance.”

Pilot3 “You're a little old to go chasing after fantasy and legend, aren't you?”

Pilot4 “Hah! Yeah, I'll do it. 500,000 euros an hour. Take it or leave me alone!”

[wide shot] Pilot5 “Nein!” Throws a wrench at Mortimer

Pilot6 (as he polishes his aircraft) “Cook, huh? If you ask me, I say Cook doesn't exist. A waste of time searching for it. No, I will not fly you around.”

Pilot6 looks at Mortimer. “You seem like you need this little adventure, so I'll point you to someone who just might. His name is Wahlter Thibodeaux . Doctor of archeaology or somethin'.”

Pilot6 shakes Mortimer's hand. “Dr. Thibodeaux can always be found in the pub next door nowadays. I wish you and your adventure all the luck. God knows you'll need it.”

Edited by Atadiusti