The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Like Clockwork3

Atadiusti

This strip is short and to the point, but is by no way simple. One landscape picture in portait dimensions. The point of this is to not only show that Mort has moved, but also to slow the pace down a little bit, so that, once again, the audience is not overwhelmed by all the characters that I have to introduce. Also it shows off the bat the huge differences between the world I portray in the story and the world we are all familiar with.... It works better if you can see it.

I suppose I should say a little bit about where our intrepid hero Mortimer has landed. Well, welcome to West Germany. The Cold War did not end nearly as quickly as it did on our Earth, and as a result, The Berlin Wall was not torn down until the beginning of the 21st century. By this time, the influence of England and the Soviet Union on West and East Germany (respectively) was so ingrained that Germany was divided for good. Now the two countries are known as West Germany and Prussia. West Germany now speaks a pidgin of English and German, while Prussia speaks both German and Russian as separate languages. Where Germany used to be the center for science and medicine, West Germany remains so. Conventions and lectures are held so frequently, the universities, laboratories, and hospitals often see a lot of traffic, and West Germany sees a fair number of immigrants from the world over seeking occupations or study in the fields of science and medicine (This explains why Dr! JD Whitecastle, an American doctor and physician, is wandering around Düsseldorf).

Setting: Streets of Düsseldorf, West Germany; August, 2009 AD, Afternoon

Mortimer walks into a riverside plaza marked “Die Luft Plaza” Airships and riverboats of various sorts can be seen docked on the far side, their berth floating on the Rhyne, on the left of the docks a large building labled “Die Welke; Hotel und Pub” sits precariously on the bank, as though added as an afterthought. Storehouses, stables, shops, and market stalls line the rest of the plaza