The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Like Clockwork2

Atadiusti

I'm especially proud of this script. It was fun to write. And it foreshadows so much, but you'd never realize it unless I told you. Whoops, I just did. Well, exactly -what- this script foreshadows will remain a mystery. That I will not tell. The only "flaw" it has is that it's too long for one page, which I'm ashamed to say, I didn't notice very quickly, and that there isn't a clear break between the pages. Instead of overhauling this script, I'll probably just upload both pages at once.

In this script, I really introduce Mortimer and Jacques - past the brief snapshots I used earlier to hook the audience, and I "cameo" Jarvis at the very end in order to later demonstrate it's a small world after all, or at least a small city (Yeah, alright, that's one thing that you are privy to know that this script foreshadows). Jarvis isn't truly introduced until much later. Pity, really, but I have to introduce an entire airship crew as Mortimer collects them, I need to keep it relatively slow at least part of the time, in order to keep readers from being overwhelmed.

Well without further ado, here's the next installment of the "Like Clockwork" scripts:

Setting: Streets of Düsseldorf, West Germany; August, 2009 AD, Noon

Mortimer opens the door of a storefront who's sign reads :

“Bargus'

Mechanical Repair

Mechaniche reparatur” As the door opens, a bell rings.

Inside the store, on the wall behind the counter is a display of various tools and equipment, and a large gun rack. And a steel door.

Jacques steps through the door, wiping his hands on a worn rag

“Welcome to Bargus's. What can I getcha? ?” Jacques asks

"I need a repair job."

Mortimer awkwardly leans over to the side and unstraps one leg jet

"...this weld is coming loose."

Mortimer places his leg-mounted jet propulsion system on the counter. Jacques casually inspects the leg jets.

“I see...  did you make that yourself ?“

"They were a gift from my parents.  I think I've got a pretty good handle on how the mechanics work."

Jacques nods understandingly.

"Ah, I see.  Custom work can sometimes be harder to fix... It might take a while to fix these..." 

He ducks behind the counter, and pushes some drawers open.

"How long is a while?", Mortimer responds; more out of curiousity than impatience. He then adds quietly to himself "...Time might be a factor....

Jacques stands up with a smirk on his face and with a tray of scones in one hand, a plate in another. 

He removes the cover, and places a scone on it.

He says, "Well, to make sure the welding is applied at the correct temperature, the joint remains unaltered, and that the aluminum-to-oxide ratio is at the optimum level, that's a four-day job."

He hands the plate to Mortimer.

"If I do it, though, it would take maybe three, three-and-a-half hours. I have another commission to finish first, so it would be done by this time tomorrow."

Mortimer takes a bite out of the pastry.

"Wow, that's great. How much do I owe you?"

Jaques glares down at Mortimer with “glowing eyes of doom”

“That depends...” Jacques says. “How is the scone?”

Mortimer anxiously gestures towads th scones with both hands.

“Like I said, it's great! Delicious!”

Jacques' face turns to a grin.

"It's a simple job, 250 euros should cover it" Jacques muses.

"250 euros for a scone?? That's outrageous!"

Jacques chuckles at the joke.

Jacques says, "I like you.  Just promise to come back later for your bigger jobs, and I'll take half off the price for this job.  Only 125 euros."

“Sounds good to me!” Mortimer replies

The pair shake hands

“By the way, could you direct me to the air-docks?” Mortimer requests.

“Oh sure, Go left out of the shop, then turn north when you reach Vōlklinger. The docks are on the river there's a pub and hotel nearby. It's hard to miss.”Jacques explains.

“Thank you very much.” Mortimer says. “I'll be back tomorrow.”

“Have a nice day” Jacques says.

Mortimer steps outside. Jarvis walks by in the background.

“Just like clockwork.” Mortimer says to the air, smiling.