The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Late-night walk

Venefyxatu

I had to walk a few streets to get back to my car earlier today. It was dark, I was alone and I'd just spent the evening writing and discussing stories so my imagination was still in overdrive. The result is that I ended up spooking myself all the way back to the car. I've tried to capture the mood in a very short story (Dutch version below, which I personally like a little better).

Any and all feedback is welcome, from tense and spelling errors to ways to improve the mood.

----

When I say goodbye to the others before walking back to my car the sun has long since vanished over the horizon, taking the storm with it. Even in the dark the way isn't hard to find, so the clicking of my heels on the pavement sounds full of self-confidence. Ever since I got used to it I've found it to be a soothing sound.

The street I have to walk through is rather narrow, with cars parked on both sides. Along the sidewalk are small, cosy-looking houses, many of which are decorated with flower boxes. Suddenly I hear a sound across the street that I hadn't expected, a sound that nobody ever expects : a soft chiming noise, as if a series of small bells is being stirred. Unbidden, the legend of Those who Watch surfaces in my mind. It is said that they make sure that nobody has to die alone, that every death which occurs in this world is seen. Nobody has ever seen them yet everyone is at some point seen by them. Nobody even knows whether they have bodies of their own or whether they are a kind of ghost that uses the eyes of whatever happens to be around – a bird, a rat, a statue, it doesn't matter. I don't know whether it's a coincidence, but I suddenly notice that in a flower box across the street, attached to the same house from which the bells are sounding, a few statuettes are sitting. They're probably meant to look friendly but I find them rather ominous and quickly avert my eyes while I quicken my pace.

When I notice a few china owls sitting behind a window next to me, staring at me with their large white eyes my heart starts racing and I need to force myself not to start running. Meanwhile I can still hear the sound of small bells across the street. It's almost as if they're following me, because I can't seem to leave them behind me.

I tighten my scarf a little, pull my long black coat, which is flapping around my legs because of the wind, a little closer around me and quickly walk on with my eyes firmly fixed on the sidewalk. The entrance to a parking garage I need to pass looks like a gaping black maw and just as I am about to walk past it the soft sound of the bells stops while the wind dies down. I don't know whether this is a good sign but I force myself to walk calmly past the entrance, the idea that if I look self-confident enough I might make it to my car alive firmly in the back of my mind.

A little farther I see a dark blue van parked partially on the sidewalk. The shadow it throws on the wall looks darker than the others and I hesitate briefly before I force myself to walk through it. Just at that moment the wind picks up again, causing a spooky rustling in a bush on the other side of the street. With that typical feeling you get when someone stares at your back hard enough I hurry past the van and heave a sigh of relief when I make it to the street corner. I'm almost there; my car is parked at the other end of this street.

I round the corner and walk past an ice cream van which, in large red letters surrounded by gaudy yellow stars, proudly proclaims that it sells the best ice cream in the city. In the distance I hear the sound of a deep voice laughing floating through the streets, as if something is mocking my futile attempt to reach the safety of my car. Instantly the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and send a cold shiver down my spine. Somewhere deep down in my mind a voice is trying to tell me that it's nothing more than a train rushing by in the distance but I'm not sure whether I should believe it. I'm halfway down the street now, only a little farther before I can get into the safety of my car.

That fence I need to pass, did the square behind it look as spooky earlier today? It belongs to some kind of institute, but what do they do there anyway? And the cat which just crossed the sidewalk in order to get under the fence and disappear into the night, it wasn't a black one, was it? I briefly consider crossing the street to make sure it didn't cross my path but pull myself together. I refuse to give in to such superstition, even if my entire back is covered with goosebumps.

There it is, my car. The indicators flash their warm orange glow across the entire street when I unlock it with the remote. I quickly throw my bag into the boot and hurry to the driver's seat. As soon as I've closed it behind me I activate the central locking. Just to make sure I check the rear seets, because you never know. Between the seats, I see nothing but darkness ...

---- Dutch version below ----

De zon is al lang samen met de storm achter de horizon verdwenen als ik afscheid neem van de anderen om terug naar mijn auto te wandelen. Zelfs in het donker is de weg niet moeilijk terug te vinden dus mijn hakken klikken vol zelfvertrouwen op het trottoir. Sinds ik eraan gewend ben geraakt vind ik het een rustgevend geluid.

De straat waar ik door moet is redelijk smal, met auto's geparkeerd aan beide kanten. Langs het trottoir staan kleine, gezellig uitziende huisjes waarvan er heel wat versierd zijn met bloembakken. Plots hoor ik aan de overkant echter een geluid dat ik niet verwacht had, een geluid dat niemand ooit verwacht : een zacht geklingel, alsof er een reeks kleine belletjes beroerd wordt. Ongevraagd komt de legende van Zij die Toekijken weer in me op. Er wordt gezegd dat zij ervoor zorgen dat niemand alleen hoeft te sterven, dat elke dood die in deze wereld plaatsvindt gezien wordt. Niemand heeft hen ooit gezien doch iedereen zal ooit door hen gezien worden. Er is zelfs niemand die weet of ze echt een lichaam hebben dan wel een soort van geesten zijn die de ogen gebruiken van wat er ook toevallig in de buurt is – een vogel, een rat, een standbeeld, het maakt niet uit. Ik weet ook niet of het toeval is, maar het valt me op dat in een bloembak aan de overkant van de straat, aan hetzelfde huis waar nog steeds die belletjes klinken, enkele beeldjes zitten. Ze zijn waarschijnlijk bedoeld om er vriendelijk uit te zien, maar ik vind dat ze iets onheilspellend hebben en wend vlug mijn blik af terwijl ik iets sneller begin door te stappen.

Als ik achter het raam naast me dan ook nog eens enkele porseleinen uiltjes zie zitten die me met grote, witte ogen aanstaren begint mijn hart als een razende te bonzen en moet ik mezelf dwingen om het niet op een lopen te zetten. Ondertussen klinken nog altijd die belletjes aan de overkant van de straat. Het lijkt wel alsof ze me volgen, want ik schijn er niet in te slagen ze achter me te laten.

Ik trek mijn sjaal wat strakker aan, trek mijn lange zwarte jas die door de wind rond mijn benen flappert wat dichter om me heen en loop snel door met mijn ogen stevig op het trottoir gericht. De inrit naar een parkeerterrein waar ik langs moet is als een gapende zwarte muil en net op het moment dat ik er voorbij moet stopt het zacht rinkelende geluid van belletjes terwijl de wind even gaat liggen. Of dit een goed teken is of niet weet ik niet, maar ik dwing mezelf om rustig voorbij de inrit te lopen met in mijn achterhoofd het idee dat als ik er zelfverzekerd genoeg uitzie ik misschien levend aan mijn auto geraak.

Een eindje verder zie ik een donkerblauwe bestelwagen die gedeeltelijk op het trottoir geparkeerd staat. De schaduw die het ding op de muur werpt ziet er extra donker uit en ik aarzel even voordat ik mezelf dwing erlangs te lopen. Op dat moment steekt de wind ook weer op en veroorzaakt een onheilspellend geruis in een struik aan de overkant van de straat. Met dat typische gevoel dat je krijgt wanneer iemand hard genoeg naar je rug staart haast ik me langs de bestelwagen en slaak een zucht van verlichting wanneer ik aan de hoek van de straat kom. Ik ben er bijna; mijn auto staat aan het einde van deze straat geparkeerd.

Ik draai de straat in en loop langs een ijskarretje dat in grote rode letters omringd door vreselijk opzichtige gele sterren trots beweert het beste ijs uit de stad te verkopen. In de verte hoor ik een diepe stem die begint te lachen door de straten zweven, alsof iets me uitlacht met mijn zinloze poging om de veiligheid van mijn auto te bereiken. Mijn nekhaar gaat prompt recht overeind staan en stuurt een koude rilling langs mijn ruggegraat. Ergens diep in mijn gedachten probeert een stemmetje te rationaliseren dat het maar een trein is die in de verte voorbijraast, maar ik weet niet zeker of ik dat wel geloof. Nog een halve straat en ik kan veilig in mijn auto duiken.

Dat hek waar ik langs moet, zag het plein erachter er daarstraks ook al zo spookachtig uit? Het behoort toe aan een of ander instituut, maar wat doen ze daar? En die kat die zonet het trottoir overstak om onder het hek door te kruipen en in de nacht te verdwijnen, die was toch niet zwart? Ik overweeg even om de straat over te steken om zeker te zijn dat de ze mijn pad niet heeft gekruist maar verman mezelf. Ik weiger toe te geven aan zulk bijgeloof, zelfs als mijn hele rug volstaat met kippenvel.

Daar, mijn auto. De pinkers knipperen hun warme oranje gloed over de hele straat als ik het slot losmaak met de afstandsbediening. Ik gooi snel mijn tas in de koffer en haast me naar de bestuurderszetel. Zogauw ik de deur achter me heb dichtgetrokken doe ik alles op slot met de centrale vergrendeling. Voor alle zekerheid kijk ik ook even op de achterbank, want je weet maar nooit. Tussen de zetels zie ik niets anders dan duisternis ...

Edited by Venefyxatu

• 1 month later...

Cool short story, Venefyxatu. :-) I can definitely see why imagining it would scare you while walking to your car, as there is something very eerie about being alone on a dark and confined street late at night. I feel like you capture that feeling very well in this piece, especially in the way that otherwise innocent objects and locations appear menacing in light of the situation. The faints sounds of jingling bells and the flower boxes and statues were especially effective, as was the way that the square changed into something more unnerving at night. Even the ice cream truck with its slogan has a strange air of malice to it. Nicely done Venefyxatu, I enjoyed reading it.