The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

William's Story (Working title)

The street light was broken leaving the corner in darkness as William slowly walked down the street. Sunset had been hours before and now he was ready to see what he could find out. He reached a fin boned hand up, absently running the long thin fingers through the waves of his ebony hair. There was still a faint hint of restlessness in him as he rounded the next corner. For years now he had enjoyed the hunt. Tonight would be no different. He looked around at the young people moving along the street and wondered, not for the first time, why every generation had those who thought it was fun to play the game. 'If only they knew the reality of things,' he thought to himself as he drifted through a crowd of people in their early twenties trying to look like Hollywood's version of a vampire. Not one of them got close to the real thing in William's opinion. His silver eyes caught sight of the sign announcing his destination. A small skull and crossed swords hung over the door to the bar. He was smiling as he passed through the doorway. “Hey Beth.” he called to the massive woman standing behind the bar, “How's shift going tonight?” he asked deciding to enjoy the night and the hunt.

Can't complain. Not that it would help if I did.” she laughed pouring cream into the glass on the bar in front of her. “You working tonight?”

He sighed as he slipped onto the bar stool at the end of the bar, “Yeah, but you can still put a splash of rum in that for me.” He took a moment to look her over as he always did. She may have been over six feet in her socks and tip the scales at just over three hundred pounds, but her sweet face and dancing green eyes always seemed to attract bad seeds where men were concerned. After the last few he had taken to keeping an eye on her. Any new bruises and there would be hell to pay for whoever had put them there. Tonight he was happy to see her porcelain white skin was unmarked.

She caught him looking as she splashed the rum into his drink. “Nothing to worry about William. Only man I've seen in over a week was in the pages of the latest Cage MacCleod novel I've been reading.” she sat the drink in front of him and leaned forward to place a quick kiss on his cheek. “But thanks for caring.” she stepped back as quickly as she had leaned in.

You're a good friend Beth. I always keep a good eye on my friends.” he smiled taking a sip of his drink. His eyes were carefully taking in everyone in the bar by way of the mirror behind her. Suddenly his blood ran cold. With a slow tilt of his head he attempted to get a better look. There near the door of the bar sat his prey. The man didn't seem the least bit out of place, but William could feel the sense of wrong about him. As he watched the man lifted his glass in a silent salute. “Damn.” he mumbled.

Beth caught the single word and knew her easy, laid back shift had just come to a screeching halt. “How bad is it going to be?” she asked coming back over and setting a cup of coffee on the bar next to his drink.

I'll try to get is out back before anything happens, but he's already made me.” he told her finishing the rum and cream in one swallow. “So much for me being on the hunt tonight. Looks like the hunter just became the hunted again.” with a sigh he drained the coffee and stood up.

What do you need me to do?” she asked quickly. This wasn't the first time William's plans had gotten changed by someone being too smart for their own good.

Just keep your eyes open sweetheart. He's cocky, this shouldn't take long.” he smiled, with a quick wink he headed for the door at the back of the bar just as he saw the man get to his feet.

The patio was blessedly empty as he stepped out into the night. William was really hoping to avoid causing a big scene at the bar, but from the smug look on the guy's face he doubted it would be possible. He was trying to figure out how to handle things when he heard the door open behind him. “So it was you?” came from the man he had seen in the bar. “Pretty gutsy to be hanging out at a place as busy as the Crossed Swords if you ask me.”

William turned to face the man, “Not really, its not a bar that too many of your kind frequent. But you might say it takes just as many guts to call me out in front of a bar full of my friends. Not many would do that.”

The man straightened his shoulders, “I'm not your average person. Things like you should be either destroyed or locked up away from polite society.”

William had heard this line before, but the level of prejudice people could show always amazed him. “Now as much as I would like to just put an end to this stupidity, I'm going to give you a chance.” he looked the man in the eyes before continuing, “I really hope we can come to an understanding on this. How about you put that nasty little gun you have under your coat on the table, turn around, and leave without any hassle?” he hoped that this time, just once, one of these fools would take the chance and get away without getting hurt. He figured as always that the chance it would happen was slim. They were always looking for a fight to make a name for themselves.

No way. Your bounty will fill my wallet nicely.” the man told him. Almost before William saw him move the gun was in the man's hand and pointed at his chest.

William looked down at his chest and laughed, “What am I up to now?” he was getting tired of this game. Just because someone had put a price on his head more years ago than he could count he was still having to deal with people trying to take him out. He sighed knowing it wouldn't end til he either got the bounty lifted, which he couldn't see happening, or got himself killed.

The offer I was made was 4.2 and a new life.” the man smiled, “Not bad when I'll have the job done less than a day after getting it.”

William moved faster than the man expected and was behind him before he had finished speaking. There was a small gasp as the razor sharp dagger William always carried slipped silently through the man's coat and into his back. As the man struggled for life William smiled, “For the record, if you want to kill someone just do it. Don't stand around talking about it.” he pulled the blade from the man's back and let his now lifeless body slide to the floor of the patio. He turned and went back into the bar after cleaning off the dagger on the man's shirt and slipping it back onto his belt.

Beth looked up from the bar as he came in. “Everything go as expected?” she asked fixing him another drink.

He glanced back at the now locked patio door. “As always.” reaching for the glass she had sat in front of him he smiled, “Patio will be closed for a couple of hours.”

Do I need to call Charlie or have you already called her?” she asked forcing herself not to think of what she knew was out on that patio.

William sighed, “I need you to call. I left my cell at home. I actually didn't think I would need her tonight.” he tossed back most of the glass of whiskey she had given him in one swallow. He always hated dealing with the ones that were in it only for the money.

No problem.” she walked back to the center of the bar. Glancing at the table where the man had been sitting she picked up the phone. Her eyes worked the crowd as her fingers dialed the number she had learned long ago.

A gruff female voice answered on the third ring. “Charlie.”

Beth took a deep breath, “Hey, I need you to swing by the bar. It's been a night.” she said watching the faces of the people in the bar. This wasn't her first time making the call to Charlie, but she always felt strange doing it.

Damn. I was hoping for a slow night, I just got off a sixteen hour shift.” she sighed knowing that she had been born into this job, not the one she had as a taxi driver. “How many?”

Beth could hear the exhaustion in the other woman as she moved around, “Just one. Should be a short night if everything goes well.”

There was a burst of real laughter from Charlie, “Knowing William's luck it's going to be a long night for all of us.”

Beth joined in the laughter, “True, but we can hope for an easy night, this place has been steady all night. That and he doesn't look like he could handle much tonight. The man looks like you sound.”

Nice, I'll be there soon. Don't worry I still have my keys.” she hung up before Beth could respond.

Beth put the phone down just as a couple stepped up to the bar. “What can I get for you tonight?” she asked stopping in front of them.

The man smiled, something about it making her skin want to crawl. “How about a gin and tonic for me,” he paused to glance at the woman beside him. “And she'll have a bloody mary.”

Beth fought off the urge to cringe, “Coming right up.” she answered turning her back slightly and mixing their drinks. When she turned around the man was no longer standing there. He was down at the end of the bar talking to William. Beth handed the woman both drinks and took her money. She knew it was best to stay out of things like this until William asked for help. She went back to cleaning the bar.

Out of the corner of her eye she watched as the woman walked toward the two men. A few moments later William stood up slamming his drink down on the bar. “Be careful what you accuse people of young man. That's a habit that can get you hurt.” his words carried easily through the bar just as they were intended to.

Beth knew things were about to go very wrong. So she stepped over to help try and defuse the situation. “Is there a problem here William?” she asked keeping her voice as calm as she could as she noticed the long knife the other gentleman was carrying secured to his belt.

William glanced away from the man long enough to look at Beth, “Nothing me buying this couple a glass of your house wine won't cure.” he looked back at the man. “How about it, the stuff is the best wine in town.”

Beth smiled, “I'm sure you will find it to your liking.” she spun away and snagged a beautiful cut crystal decantor on her way to the other end of the bar. She knew just what William wanted them served, and was only too happy to pour the bloodwyne into two hand carved silver goblets. By the time she was making her way back she had managed to get herself back under control. “I do hope you enjoy.” she said sweetly as she sat the glasses down on the bar.

The man looked from the elegant silver goblet to the woman he was with. “Now that's how a glass of wine should be served.” he turned and smiled at William. “Sorry about before there was no offense intended.”

None taken, now enjoy the wine. You won't find anything like it anyplace else in the city.” his smile had become warm and welcoming. He watched as they both sat down their original drinks to pick up the goblets. As they sipped Beth was clearing away the first glasses. William looked the young man in the eyes as he finished his wine. “Now be a good boy and take your girlfriend home for the night. Just remember its not safe to go around throwing accusations at people. Some of us aren't as nice as I am.” he blinked and watched as the young man staggered for a moment before turning to the girl.

Let's go honey. I'm not wanting to do the bar thing tonight after all.” he said sitting his goblet on the bar and reaching for her hand.

The woman smiled and let him lead her away. Beth released a breath she didn't even noticed she had been holding. “I'm glad that went better than it could have.”

Of course it did.” he handed her the two goblets, “I dealt with them the easy way.” he smiled at her as he watched her rinse the glasses and put them back on the display he had bought for them.

She laughed, “I do love the effect that wine has on people.”

William sat back down on the stool. “That's why I told you not to drink any of it around me.” he paused as the door to the patio opened behind him. “Hey Charlie, sorry about the call tonight.”

Charlie walked up and dropped down onto the empty stool next to William, “Hey beautiful, when you gonna run away to Jamaica with me?” her eyes sparkled with humor.

Beth blushed, “Now what would happen to my bar if I ran away with you?” she answered the same thing she did every time she saw Charlie.

Charlie let her full lips form a pout, “You could always sell it and open one down there.” it was an old word game they had been playing since the first time they had met the night Beth opened the bar, and to Charlie's disappointment it never seemed to change.

Beth caught William's eye, “You think I could run a bar in Jamaica?”

He didn't miss a beat, “Sure. I'll even come with you and play night security.” he smiled, glad to see she might actually be taking his advice and giving Charlie a chance. It didn't hurt that the offer would also get him out of here with more ease than just running would.

Beth looked around the bar for a moment before saying anything else. When she did speak she had all of her attention on Charlie. “Attention.” she called out after clearing her throat. She didn't often direct anything at the whole bar so when she did she got their attention quick. There was an almost deafening silence in the bar as she began to talk, “Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to announce that as of right now, the Crossed Swords is up for sale.” she watched with satisfaction as Charlie's eyes went from wonder to surprise to almost something like hope.

You're selling the bar, just like that?” she squeaked in a voice that was nothing like any Beth nor William had ever heard before.