The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Blushing Dame

This is the beginning of the adventures of my new characters so give it some time to progress

The setting sun illuminated a hill, the lone tree swaying in the autumn breeze. The young woman solemnly stood looking into the sunset. The sole grave marker before the maiden sat atop the hill. It was fairly new, not yet having been worn down with age and the fury of the elements. She slowly knelt before it, thanking the one who had been laid to rest. The marker simply read This unsung hero saved the land to be forgotten by those set free, you will be remembered. A young man came up behind the woman, who was nearing tears.

“Come now, the ceremony shall begin soon.”

But, that part of this tale still lurks very far away. The true beginning is not nearly as gloomy. . .

A heavily armored figured walked into the small town. The citizenry stepped around the gleaming armor as it strode purposefully through main street. The vendors called out, hawking their wares, but the helmed head didn’t seem to acknowledge them. A street urchin had been following the shining form for several blocks now, his eyes focused on a large sack held in the person’s left hand. He reached out, knife ready to slit the items held within free. As soon as his hand was nearly upon the bag the metal form stopped, turning with amazing alacrity.

“Would ye dare steal from me?”, The voice echoed from inside the helm.

The thief seemed stunned, until his mind caught up with his error in judgment. He ran down the nearest alley. The hulking form shrugged and continued on to it’s objective. The armor pushed its way to the sheriff’s office. The older man inside sat straight up with surprise when a large shadow eclipsed the light at his desk.

“May I help ye?”, The sheriff said with a slight drawl.

“I am here to collected on this bounty.”, the metal arm rose, dropping the sack on the desk. A severed head rolled out, a look of surprise across the grim trophy.

He old sheriff rifled through papers until he came across one with a portrait of the head on the desk, a slightly less surprised version at least.

“Well, seems like this brigand won’t be terrorizing any travelers anymore, aye?”, The wrinkled man’s bony hand rummaging in his desk draw, pulling out a bag that rang with the sounded of treasure. “That’s 15 gold pieces for ye then.”

The armor reached up and placed it’s hands upon the helmet. As the helmet came off, long brown hair unfurled, encircling the feminine face.

“Aye, all in a good days work. Ye enjoy the fine day!”

The elder sat completely stunned, the face before him attractive even through the grime of adventure.

“Aye, ye to lass…”, The man, stumbling for words as he handed over the gold.

She set the helmet back into place, and walked back into the busy street. The sheriff rubbed his head as he thought for a moment. Why would a looker like that be out risking her life for a handful of gold coins?

Edited by Sir Walnut Reginald Trouble Clamhat

The woman headed back at into the crowded masses with that same purposeful stride she had when she entered the small town. The town was on the fringes of society. She preferred places that were out of the way, keeping herself out of the Imperial eye. She approached the local tavern, The Hanging Prince, which was obviously the center of town activities. The patrons of the tavern were enjoying much drink, a raucous cheer spreading through out. The barkeep was a stout man, balding with a great black handle bar mustache. He was quietly cleaning his tankards, pausing only if a patron asked for another drink. She approached the bar, laying down a single gold piece and removed her helmet. The bar keep gave her an strange look, but seemed to shrug it off the next moment. He had no doubt seen stranger people then herself.

“A meal and drink , along with a room for the night.”, she said as she slid the gold piece across the rough counter.

The bar tender raised an eyebrow at this, but set the drink on the bar, “Could ye use anything else?”

“No, I shall be fine when my meal arrives.”

A matter of moments after this a steaming hot meal was set on the bar, the barkeep immediately returning to his busy work. The meal was of surprising quality, having arrived so swiftly. The drink was refreshing and the meal was filling. As soon as the empty tankard touched the bar, the bar tender was standing before her.

“More ale?”

She nodded, a filled tankard placed before her. The night progressed as such, the barkeep simply ready for any request. Soon she headed to her room, slept peacefully, and awoke the next day, rising early. The barkeep not even awake as she left. She headed out, through the quiet streets, past the early morning workers. She proceeded out of the town, heading straight into the sunrise, putting the Hanging Prince behind her. The road was well kept but not overused. It was not even a minor trade road, seeing none of the Imperial traffic other slightly more common routes received. It saw less brigands and highwaymen as well. They never caused a major problem, more less light entertainment on the long road. She walked at a steady pace for most of the day. Around midday the farm road joined with a small trade route. Ever now and again another traveler would pass. She looked up the sky. She should arrive in the next city by nightfall.

Meanwhile, in the Imperial Palace…

A large, handsome man strode through the halls, his ring covered hands clenched tightly, his noble station shown by his many jewels and fine clothing. As he approached a large door at the end of the current hall the two guards stationed there turned.

“Lord Sulfameth.”, the greeted while placing their right fist upon their chest and tapping the haft of their battle hammers on the ground in a military salute.

The lord paid them no mind as he pushed through the door. As the door closed, the guard on the left looked around. Turning to his slightly shorter comrade he spoke.

“That Sulfameth has no regard for any beneath him. I’m glad I don’t serve in the Wyvern Corp, I would hate to be subject to his machinations.”

“Aye, but at least he doesn’t hide what he does like some other members of the royal council.”, His fellow guard commented back.

“And who would those be?”, a voice hissed from a short distance away, surprising the guards.

“High Inquisitor Sorn!”, The guards years of training showed in their rapid recovery of composure as they saluted.

The High Inquisitor, returned the salute with a sneer. His long black robes fluttered as he walked up to the guards. He seemed to tower over them to as he closed the distance between them.

“Please make sure to focus on the duty at hand. I would hate for some common riffraff to simply waltz into the council chamber.” he jeered the two guards, laughing as he proceeded past.

The taller guard waited a moment, “That man gives me goose bumps. I didn’t think a man could actually hiss when they talked. At least Sulfameth can’t suddenly appear out of nowhere.”

The short guard nodded in response, gesturing towards the chamber with his long hammer, “Even Sulfameth finds him unsettling. And the lord fears only the emperor.”

The two guards nodded then returned their focus back to the job at hand. The last thing they wanted was Sorn deciding they needed to be interrogated.

Edited by Sir Walnut Reginald Trouble Clamhat

Back on the road…

The armored woman let out a deep sigh, relaxing her grip on the brigand’s arm. Several men lay sprawled about, groaning as they strained to get back on their feet. A carriage quickly shot by, the trades man inside shouting his thanks.

“Fools! Ye truly thought to rob trades mean? On an imperial road.”, the young woman motioned to the rogues with a sweep of her arm as she berated them, “I am simply astonished the local guardsmen have not yet dealt with you.

Suddenly, a burst of movement form beyond her sight. The lowly worm attacked from behind, bringing a sword to bare, planning to sink the blade into the open arm joint. As suddenly as the attack had begun it was halted, the man stopping in his tracks as a bolt settled into place in the rogues’ back. He collapsed several steps from the startled woman.

“Glad I had waited to reveal m’ self. I didn’t mean to startle ye, but he surely would’a gotten ye.”, a young, thin man stepped out of the shrubs beside the road, his charming voice matching perfectly with his face.

The man attached a hand crossbow to his belt and brushing of the dirt off his light brown clothing for seemingly no apparent reason. He was smiling as he stepped towards the fallen highwayman, a scar showing on the side of his face, just before his left ear.

“M’ names Rupert, Rupert Flax.”, he greeted as he stepped over the dead body, plucking out his crossbow bolt, “Now, that I’ve been introduced what might ye name be good sir?”

The woman stood still, looking around and pointing at herself, “Might ye be talking to me?”

“Don’t be daft, a’course I’m talking to ye. Ain anybody else but ye and I.”

“Aye, aye, that being the case, I am named Sieglinde, but I am no sir.”, She responded by offering a hand in greeting.

Rupert stood looking slightly wary, then accepted the armored hand. To his surprise she had a firm, strong grip, only slightly firmer then he remembered his father’s being.

“Well, glad I could give ye a hand. These men surely must’a learned quite a lesson at yer hands.”

He meant this quite literally. Part of the reason he waited to make his presence known was so that he might lend a surprise hand. The other was that Sieglinde had no weapon, she dealt with these brigands with just her hands. She had thrown them, swatting them away with one hand. She had used no finesse or planning just raw power to deal with the snakes that had attacked a lone merchant.

“Well, I must be off. Thank ye for yer assistance Rupert. ‘Twas much appreciated. Keeper’s Rest awaits me with a good night slumber and possible work.”, She gave a salute, right hand brought up to her chest and then turned from and headed towards the town, towards Keeper’s Rest.

“Now, now. It that anyway ta treat the man who jus' saved yer life?", Rupert questioned, throwing an accusing look towards Sieglinde. En garde.

"Not only did I not ask for yer help, I didn't need it." Sieglinde countered, but Rupert masterfully rebounded.

"Didn' need m' help? Tha' brigand would'a had his sword hilt deep in yer side. Didn' need m' help indeed.", Rupert's verbal riposte came quickly, completely avoiding Sieglinde's defenses.

"Aye. I didn't see that man coming, but I would have been fine. That man could not have defeated me." Sieglinde move came slowly, her previous wound slowing her counter.

"Fine, go on and ignore the fact tha' I saved ye. I wanted no reward. Simply a companion on the road and a stiff drink in Keeper's Rest.", Rupert disarmed Sieglinde, the guilt easily overpowering her.

"Aye, I guess ye are right. It makes no sense to turn my back on good fortune. Or on a traveling companion. Come along then.", Sieglinde surrendered to Rupert's charm, "'Tis no more than a few more hours."

Several hours and a few miles later they arrived at Keeper's Rest, a small town still on the fringe. While small, Keeper's Rest did well; it was on a trade road, it was close to the Elven nation so saw interesting trade occasionally. The elves didn't trade often enough for the Rest to grow any larger or of any more importance. It had the features of many towns outside of the imperial eye. The local sheriff and militia was near the center of town. The tavern was a busy in the evening. It had it's share of farms and stores, the blacksmith making more horseshoes than weapons. The streets were not busy, most people having settled in for the night or enjoying a few drinks. Rupert seemed anxious to get inside for a couple of drinks and then turn in, and Sieglinde had no reason to argue. It had been a long day of traveling and she was definitely feeling tired, especially after the fracas on the road. They got a table and shared a few drinks. Rupert tried to get a hint at her past, but Sieglinde didn't yet trust the young man.

"Well, Rupert, 'tis time for me to turn in. Your company on the road was enjoyable. Goodnight."

"Aye, I think I'll stay up for a while longer", Rupert raised his glass but was no longer paying her any mind, " Oh, barmaid , could I get another over here. Much obliged."

Sieglinde awoke early as always, putting on her armor and tidying up before she left. It was time to check for more work. Although she had now amassed a small fortune from the bounties she had collected idol hands were the devil's playground, so she made sure to keep busy. She walked outside, only to see Rupert, a bottle in his hand, sitting next the tavern, drooling in a drunk stupor. How sad.

"Heyyy, Sshieglinde! Howshh it going. Ye shure are up late."

"Ye truly are a sad little man. 'Tis dawn ye fool. Get off yer duff and head inside."

Rupert didn't remember being lifted off the ground, or carried inside. He definitely didn't remember being bathed. He definitely wasn't ready for being awaken with a quick blow to the head.

"Ye drunkard. Stay away from the drink if ye are going to let it get to yer head.", she shook her head.

"Could ye have been more gentle, m' skulls not made of metal.", Rupert groaned , nursing a fresh welt on his forehead.

"No. Now get dressed, ye owe me some copper for the bath and the bed, and I intend to make ye work it off.", Sieglinde trudged out of the room.

Rupert caught a glimpse of her on the way. It was the only time he had seen her with the armor off. Her arms and legs were covered in scars of varying size. She had a feminine figure that was offset by the definition of her arms and legs. One didn't normal see women in armor, or with such a strong build. She was going to be hard to win over, but he felt sure of his skills.

As Sieglinde stepped out of her room, again wearing her armor, to see Rupert slowly walking towards the steps. He turned to see her and let out a sigh.

"Damn. I was hoping ta sneak away. Ye threw th' armor on pretty quick."

"Stop wasting our time. Ye have to start paying me back.", Sieglinde responded as she lightly shoved Rupert towards the stairs.

"Wha' work. These small towns have no work."

Sieglinde smiled as she handed him a sheet of parchment, "No work?"

Rupert stared at the paper with some disbelief, "Bounty hunting? Ye mus' be mad! I am no fighter! Tha' shot yesterday was pure luck. I was aimin' fer his leg!"

Sieglinde put on her helmet, making her voice echo slightly, "Ye should have thought about that before ye drank yer self dumb."

She grabbed Rupert by the arm as he continued to voice his opinion about making him fight. Mostly his opinion was, "Ouch, hey stop tha' hurts. Ye are mad.", and maybe a couple things about how he couldn't really fight. Sieglinde didn't much care. She could hold her own and most criminals seemed to underestimate anyone not wearing imperial armor. If Rupert died it would be horrible, but he should be able to avoid getting stuck like a pig. He seemed pretty shifty and quick.

"So, Rupert, where is the foul criminal ye think?", Sieglinde asked as she pulled Rupert into the street.

"How should I know? I've only been ta Keeper's Rest a coupla times. And it's na like I go around with criminals."

Sieglinde considered these facts. He did have a point. Well, the best bet would be to set up a trap. The bounty, Reginald C. Walnut, had committed murder and several robberies on the trade road leading into town. So a simple guise would be to rent a wagon and horse. After a few preparations the wagon set out, Rupert whistling loudly and out of tune behind the reigns.

"Must ye perform so obviously badly? He'll know for sure that this is a trap!" Sieglinde echoed from the rear of the wagon.

"Aye, m' acting is fine. It's the loud armored fella in the back that'll give us away!", Rupert jeered her on.

"Fellow? That is not in good humor.", Sielginde voice had started to increase to a yell, "And, I am not that loud. Am I?"

"Its all in good fun. Ye just relax back there, he'll be on us before ye can say Sulfameth.", Rupert responded, followed with more whistling. It was even more out of tune.

• 2 weeks later...

After what seemed like hours of riding, Rupert stopped whistling. A group of men stood in the road, each armed and masked but one. Reginald stood in the middle, resting his arms upon the haft of a battleaxe. Rupert stopped the carriage, looking at them with a slight smirk.

"Now, have'n ye ever been told tha' this is the most clichéd way of robbin' someone? I mean, today's bandits don't wear masks. Nor do just stand there lookin' like they jus' had the winning hand!"

The men looked at each other, wondering who this man thought he was. He was actually talking down to a group of armed bandits. Reginald looked up at Rupert, a smirk across his face.

"So, ye really think that a smart mouth is going to make us let ye leave. Another word from yer mouth and we'll cut those lips from yer head", Reginald pointed his axe at Rupert, the muscles in his arm straining to keep it aloft.

"Fine. Ye win. Make off with m' goods and money. Doom a poor man." Rupert's smirk turning to a frown as the words crossed his lips.

The brigands laughed, walking up to the carriage. Reginald headed straight for the door on the side. He swung the door open, the look on his face turning to shock.

"Now, now, ye really shouldn't do that.", The voice of Sieglinde echoed from inside the helm.

As she alighted from her seat inside the carriage it groaned as that entire side dipped noticeably, as she put all of her weight into the small door frame. The carriage sighed with relief as she stepped from it.

"No, ye really should have thought about yer actions." Reginald retorted, the smirk returning to his face, "Did ye really think that the imperium wouldn't notice all these bounties. Each sheriff or mayor made mention of an armored woman. So come with me and my men."

At these words all the men tore off their tunics to reveal imperial chain shirts. Rupert held his head in his hand. They had been tricked so handily. He took a glance over at Sieglinde, the armor hid her face but her body language said it all. Of course she was mad about the ease with which she was fooled. Only a fool would be simply enough to be tricked so easily. Rupert laughed out loud at the idea. He realized he was a fool at the moment several swords swung in his direction.

"M' apologizes. I didn' mean to startle ye. Jus' havin' a funny thought.", Rupert shrugged.