The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Intro to Quill Quest

Degorram

Okeh, so Kikuyu and I are pursuing our quill quest this summer. Whether it succeeds or not....we'll see. :lol: We'll have more time to get it involved when school lets out. Until then, this intro is all we're giving you guys to think on and get your ideas out there.

For the background info you'll need: http://www.patrickdurham.net/themightypen/index.php?show...c=15994&hl=

So the problem: The Keep is going to be attacked by a Necromancer who has a thing for Dego and Kikuyu. He wants to steal the Tower for his own home, since Kikuyu and Dego blew up the last one he tried to steal.

The good news: Kikuyu and Dego know the extent of his power and he can be beaten if everyone helps.

The Solution: kick Necro's butt before he takes over with his spells and kills anyone.

And thus the intro begins!!

Degorram sat low in the chair she had placed in front of her window, twiddling her thumbs absently as she pierced the night with a bright red glare. She had let her hair grow out a little in the back so that the still uneven locks fell to her shoulders and the bangs hung across her eyes. Through the strands that painted black lines across her vision she watched the moon rise.

She shifted a little and lifted her hands, clasping them and resting her thumbs against her mouth. The moonlight breached the tower that held her room and shafts of the white-blue light filtered through her window, sending glares of light traveling up her leather clothing. The only sound that echoed off her walls was a deadly tapping of her foot.

If anyone had looked in, they wouldn't have been able to guess what she was looking at with such venom in her eyes. Not that venom was an unnatural thing to be occupying her features at this time of night. But that, too, was a mystery that very few had been privileged to know.

There was a knock at the door. Degorram promptly ignored it. After a moment of silence the door creaked open and another clad in leather entered the room.

Kikuyu walked up to stand by Degorram's side, staring into the night with her. For a long time neither spoke.

"You can't keep spending your evenings like this," Kikuyu said softly.

Degorram didn't answer. The tapping of her foot continued to serve as the only outlet to her subdued rage.

"You're not going to get revenge by killing the moon."

Degorram's knuckles cracked as she clenched her hands tighter. The blood-red almond eyes sparked. A translucent black smoke peeled off her skin and waved around her like flames.

"Stop," Kikuyu demanded sharply.

Suddenly, but still silent, Degorram launched from the chair and walked over to the window, trailing the barely existent smoke. She shoved her hands in her pockets and leaned against the window sill, pressing her forehead to the cold glass. "A necromancer," she finally said, her voice trembling with rage. "Why didn't we fight back against a measly necromancer?"

"You felt his power," Kikuyu said, the sharpness in her voice replaced with calm. "You already know the answer to that."

Degorram did not answer. The smoke continued to shroud her.

"Come on," Kikuyu said. "Let's go for a walk." She turned halfway to the door, still watching her sister.

Degorram did not turn to look back. Pressing harder into the glass she slid through it. "I prefer to fly," she said as she dropped into the night.

"She thinks she could have beaten him," Kikuyu said, stirring her tea absently and staring at the table that separated her and Wyvern. "Or at least she wishes she could have beaten him. Losing is humiliating as it is, but surrender is unforgivable in her eyes. We've never abandoned a fight without trying before."

Wyvern nodded, a frown upon his scaly brow. "I can undersssstand that. How long do you think ssshe'll hold onto thisss?"

Kikuyu sighed put her tea down. "Perhaps forever. Dego's never been the kind to vocalize her feelings. She bottles them up. It's dangerous as it is for her emotional health, but since she's a shifter...."

"Even more ssssso," Wyvern said, completing the thought with a small shudder. "Do you want me to talk to her?" He tapped his claws on the table, the sound reminding Kikuyu of rain on a metal roof.

She shook her head. "Talking won't do any good. She needs encouragement of another kind. She needs an outlet." Her eyes hardened and her mouth curled downward. "What she honestly needs is to be broken. But we'll have to be there to catch her when that happens."

"B-broken?" Wyvern asked. "Ssssounds a little....harssssh, dontcha think?"

"Not at all. It's had to be done before. When the pressure is too much, you have to make an opening for the energy to drain."

Wyvern swished his tail and nervously scratched a horn. "And how isssss thisss sssort of thing done? You ssssay sssshe's been unapproachable reccccently."

Kikuyu shrugged. "It's different every time. Usually the emotions she bottles are all despair, sadness, and those are easy to break free." She leaned forward and rested her elbows on the table, sighing. "But this is an entirely different case. She's never bottled up her rage. She's usually very good at expelling that sort of energy," she said with a chuckle.

"Anger issss tricky to be ssssure," Wyvern said. "Could it be that perhapssss you've read her wrong, though?"

Kikuyu frowned. "How do you mean?"

"Issss there ssssomething elsssse that might be bothering her? I mean, sssshe doessssn't usssssually glare at the night doessss sssshe?"

Kikuyu delved into her memory. For a moment Wyvern just watched the wheels turn within her brain.

Then her eyes lit up as she remembered. She straightened suddenly, mouth slightly open. An image of her sister glaring through a frosted window at a drizzly night locked itself behind her eyes.

"What?" Wyvern asked.

"She's sensed him," Kikuyu breathed. "We must find her immediately."

Kikuyu stared at the pouring rain across the courtyard, feeling the weight of depression weigh on her shoulders. Tears bit at her eyes, pushing forward, hot and unwelcome. With gritted teach she reached up and dashed them away, but they overflowed and streamed down her cheeks.

"Whatssss thisss about?" Wyvern shifted uncomfortably on his feet, staring at the silently weeping girl. He had never seen Kikuyu cry...never even seen anything close to tears in her eyes. It was unnerving and painful...

"I don't know," Kikuyu said breathlessly, her voice sharp between painful sobs of breath. "Where's Dego? Where..."

Her eyes widened suddenly and more tears leaked onto her cheeks. "Dego," she whispered.

"Oy!" Wyvern jumped as the girl split from his side, sprinting through the rain at full speed. The almost dragon tore after her, too shocked to grumble, too confused to gather his thoughts in place and wonder if perhaps the necromancer in question had any geld. His usual humor was stunned, no, bludgeoned into silence. A threat to the Pen? Impossible!

Kikuyu could not longer distinguish her tears through the rain drenching her, but she still felt them bubbling in her eyes, hot and thick. Someone was tearing at her heart, someone was pulling on her very soul, her other half...

"Dego!" Kikuyu shrieked. "Where are you?"

There was no answer. For a fraction of a second she feared there never would be. But then a tiny pulse throbbed in her chest, renewing the pain, renewing the fear, but wholesome and alive. Kikuyu wailed, turning her path randomly, bowling through a small crowd of wet pennites under a tree. They yelled in confusion, their voices calling to her in concern. Wyvern did not pause to answer questions, his eyes fixed on the sprinting ninja ahead of him, almost impossible to see through the rain now. "Sssorry!" he shouted over his shoulder.

The dragon cursed, putting on a sprint of extra geld-snatching speed, and tackled Kikuyu, pulling her to the ground. "Ssstop!" he gasped. "Thisss iss madnessss! What'sss going on?"

Kikuyu struggled wildly against the Elder's grip, slipping in the mud. "Let go!" she shrieked, trying to pry his grip from her wrists. "Stupid, stupid let go now!"

"What'sss up? What'ss going on? Tell me!!"

Kikuyu wrenched herself from the dragon's grasp and took three faltering steps. She tripped and fell face first in the mud, her back heaving with muffled sobs. Swaying, she stumbled to her feet., her face smeared with grime, the black dirt covering her hands. She stared at them wildly, as if she saw blood there instead of mud. "Don't," she hiccuped. "Please, don't...Dego...wait...

"Don't leave me!!"

• 3 weeks later...

The following questions have been asked of me, so I'm posting them and the responses here for anyone who is wondering the same.

Q:Is the intro an open rp?

A:Alas the intro is not an open rp. Kikuyu and I are still awaiting the time that summer brings and only wished for the intro to give you guys ideas, to create inspiration and all that.

Q:Is the QQ going to be an open rp?

A: Yes, the QQ itself will be an open rp (joy!).

Thanks for the interest guys!

• 2 weeks later...

ANNOUNCEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!

Due to the way the Quill Quest is going, we decided we probably picked the wrong word in describing it as an OPEN RP. What is that anyway? Either way, when posting please keep to your own personal character. We don't want tension due to misrepresentation. Small interactions between your character and another in your post are fine, like conversations or a small duel, for example. Other than that, feel free to have the story bend and twist through all of your posts. I can't wait to see how this works out.

*small voice from dego in the background * "sorry!!"

Thank you very much and have at it, Pennites!!!!!

Kiku

ANNOUNCEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

A very important question has been posed to me, and here is the answer I gave. I think all should know this information.

Q: What exactly can we do with the Necromancer and his minions?

A: Well, as it's going, the minions are heading towards the Pen keep at an alarming rate and will be at the door soon. A major battle will be breaking out soon, and members can fight them in any manner they choose, so long as no one character takes out most or all of them at once: this is a war and must take as long as is realistic. The Necromancer himself is a bit trickier. He and his little dozen of denizens stay behind the lines. The Necro controls the creatures from that distance while his minions guard him and his prisoner. While a good bit of his power is diverted to controlling the horde, I'm afraid our Necro will still be an extremely formidable foe (perhaps a bit of a god moder, but that's the way bad guys tend to go and that's how he has grown). It will take a large force to take him down, different powers and techniques, etc. (for that is true: no one can defeat him by themselves, as Dego has found out already). You can do whatever you want with that; just remember that the Necro is a stinky butt poop head and we're all going to be saying very soon "wait, can he do that? he can't DO that!!" ^_^