The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

"#117" by Kikuyu Black Paws

Wyvern

I really like this story, Kikuyu. :-) Your uses of un-emotional numbers and codes set a great atmosphere right from the get-go, and the story really drew me in with its futuristic details and plot progression. The way that you tackle the whole concept of science versus emotions in it is very well done, especially in Viola's interesting circuit dilemma. I also like how you ended it with both Viola and Clint being dominated and brainwashed by the scientists... I was a bit worried that Viola was going to go beserk after reinserting the emotion chip and tear down the institute, but your ending was far less predictable and far more bittersweet (not to mention realistic). Viola's brief flash of recognition of Clint at the end before her firewall goes up was a very nice touch, and you definitely captured my imagination throughout in the way that the Eras examine and interact with humans. The only thing that seemed amiss to me in the relationship was more of a sense of bonding between Viola and Clint prior to the final scene at the institute... there's a sense that the two deeply care about each other there, but I can't recall any specific scene where Viola and Clint interact with one another one-on-one. Still, there is some sense that Clint friends up to her in the group rendez-vous.

Excellent stuff, Kikuyu, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. :-) Here's hoping this ain't the last piece of science fiction you share with us here.

P.S: An interesting idea I had for an alternative ending to this story while reading it - when #117 gets hold of the emotion chip near the end, I was wondering whether her logic would motivate her to actually re-insert the chip or if her lack of emotions would give her no reason to do so. Very interesting concept, either way.