The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Future Days and Knights, Protecting Writes

I'm not sure non-fiction is accepted, but I wrote this as something to be insperational that might be used in the creative writing class my wife teaches. While searching the web to find out who the quote "The Pen is Mightier than the Sword" is attributed to, I ran across this site. So here it is.

Future Days and Knights

Protecting Writes

What is a knight? A knight, like those described in the Arthurian legends or the stories of the Three Musketeers, would be of the highest character. Prescribed to upholding honor, truth, and justice above all. Something we see all to little of in the world of today. Does anyone out there really have the heart of a knight? And can anyone truly have the heart of a knight without the soul of a poet? Can one be truly honorable without the understanding of compassion, empathy, love, sadness, and all the emotions of the human condition?

Our knights in blue has been used to describe police officers. And some have said they should be like knights. But does anyone really feel like a knight, a protector of the realm, has entered when an officer comes in to view? Or do you feel as if the thought police from 1984 just walked in? While we shouldn’t have need to feel afraid, the police are not knights. They are the foot soldiers of the legal system and their job is not to be honorable knights, however nice that would be. And some may be, but most are just common men trying to do a job. They should be doing it with regard for the rights of those they apprehend because despite what they may think personally, everyone here is innocent until proven guilty. But of course some are no better then the criminals they chase.

So if it is not their job, who’s job is it. Who’s responsibility is it to defend the truth, to be honorable, to stand up against injustice. It is the job of anyone that has the soul of a poet, the heart of a knight, and that understands honor. Anyone that knows the truth is worth speaking and believes in justice. Anyone that knows how much a lie hurts, how much injustice destroys. Anyone that knows how much indifference corrodes humanity. Anyone that feels pain when the world is unfair. And it is their job every minute of every hour of every day. In other words, if you understand what has been said here, it is your job.

Must you run off on a crusade to find and destroy all injustice? No. But speaking out against every hurtful word. Saying something about every unfair situation in your little corner of the world is your responsibility. No one expects any one person to change the world, although some have before. Saying it’s not my problem is not acceptable, lack of concern and general indifference has allowed the worlds greatest injustices to be perpetrated. There are more of us than of them. Stand up, be heard, strike a blow for honor. Edward Bulwer-Lytton coined the phrase, “The pen is mightier than the sword”. You are the knights of the future, speak out, write for the right.

"Knightsss... can't live with'em, can't live without'em." Wyvern turns in his swiveling office chair and spreads his wings a bit, facing hig4s with a sneer. "They'll sssteal your damsel in distress, but they also tend to kill any larger dragons bullying you."

Wyvern lifts himself from his seat and shakes hig4s' hand with a claw.

"Name's Wyvern, nice to meet ya."

Wyvern snatches up hig4s's application piece and starts looking it over in greater detail. Once he's finished with the line about Edward Bulwer-Lytton, the scaly Elder narrows his beady eyes and lets his forked tongue slowly slither between his teeth in a sneer.

"You wouldn't happen to be a member of the 'Modern Knight Award Committee', would you?" Wyvern licks his lips and pulls out a folder labeled "Devil's Advocate." He pulls a sheet of paper from the folder and slides it in hig4s' direction. "I bet you are, aren't you? Well it just ssso happens that I have my Knight credentials right here. Read'em and weep!"

Hig4s picks up the sheet of paper and glances at it, only to find that it's completely blank on both sides. He stares at Wyvern and raises his brows in disbelief.

"A knight, huh?"

"Oh yeahyeahyeah, chivalry n'all that." Wyvern leans back in his seat and kicks his feet up onto his desk, picking at his snout and removing some ashes. "These scales're just armor, it's just that I never take them off. You could ask the Pen's resident Knight, but he ain't around that much. It's really not my problem anyway. Sssay, how much money does the committee award to modern knights each year again?"

Hig4s shakes his head and shrugs, then watches as Wyvern begins reading over his application again.

"Hmmm..." Wyvern sets the application sheet down on his desk and turns to hig4s. "This is well-written, but I should point out that our application guidelines state that an application must be written with the ssspecific intention of joining the Pen, and cannot be a previously written work. Sssince this work was written with your wife's class in mind, I'm afraid that I cannot accept it at the moment. You should feel free to post a new piece here written with the specific intention of joining the Pen, however, at which point I'll be sure to accept you with open arms (and hopefully, an open wallet!). Until then, feel free to post more on the public forums, which is where the majority of the writing takes place around here anyway."

Hi-G smiles, "Ah, trodden on by my own honor. Without the preface who would have known. But no tears for burnt roast, I shall return, point of bodkin tipped in the ink of conquest". With a formal bow and a flourish of feathers he waves his hat and turns for the Cabaret room, "G'night my friend".