The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

GeldrinHor

~Biography~

Description:

Like most of the characters I write of in the first person, I am older. I like to think my style of writing is my own, but I have to admit to taking some stylizations from the modern fantasy/sci-fi authorship that abounds out there. I truly enjoy the mega-epic writings of such novelists as Terry Goodkind and Robert Jordan, as well as the lighter works of such stunning Sci-Fi/Fantasy masters as RL Asprin, Terry Pratchett, and THE Master, Robert Anson Heinlein. I enjoy having a touch of comedy in my high fantasy from time to time.

I also enjoy writing Poetry quite often (easier to throw together 100-200 words than 1,000-2,500) as well as the occasional haiku. My poetic style ranges far and wide from simple to more epic styles.

I also tend to RP a lot, being more INTO my characters, as normal life is, well....boring...LOL.

Ask ANYONE in the game(s), both AM and the Reincarnation, I send arrows, ALMOST every single time I make an attack. And some of them do cross over into mini stories...LOL. I like to give the victim, errr, target a feel like they are part of the story, even in the game.

Edited by GeldrinHor

~History~

Most of my writings have been placed either on the AM Banquet Hall or on the Legion of the White Rose (c-1998-2007) website, and MOST of those prior to 2004. I have had 3 published works in my life, including The Fading of the Light , (2007), The Legend of We the People (Bombs Away, Uncle Sam) (1996-written in 1980) and A Failure to Communicate (1986 Las Vegas Review Journal). the last two were short story/articles.

I have had the same partner (Some may know LilacFlame, my wife) since 1987, and on our 20th Anniversary, we intend to make it OFFICIAL, by going to Las Vegas and getting legally married. (April 15th, 2007)

We have no children together, but each of us has one child from before our relationship- Her a 24 yr old son, myself a 23 yr old daughter. Her son was adopted at age 3 due to violence in her marriage/home, and mine was removed from my life at age 2 when her mother and I parted ways. (She left the state and married a military man)

I am neither bitter, nor angry, as it HAD to have been better for the child. My life at that time and for a number of years following, were, at best, tumultuous.

I am only 45 yrs old at this time, but have lived HUNDREDS of years in that period of time.

I write to express myself and to enlarge and invigorate my imagination.

SIDE NOTE: If anyone still has access to the Legion website, Kenn and I no longer speak, so if you can find any of my writings there, let me know, and I will see about trying to get links to it...thanks

Edited by GeldrinHor

• 1 month later...

I seem to go thru periods where I don't write much, even for enjoyment purposes, so my postings here in the Pen might get erratic. But I DO take the time, after reading stories, letters, poems, what have you, to consider if I have anything useful to say. I Reply to posts often.

I truly enjoy THINKING....and sometimes during the thought process, a wonderful idea will sprout, and I will begin writing.

Recently, due to my complete abhorrence to Microsoft software, and most especially to it's Word/WordPad programs, I found a Writer's software put out by another Author (Anyone know who SpaceJock is?) called YWriter.

It helps organize ideas and save story/storyline/chapter, page and paragraph. It has editing tools with it as well. Just a thought for those of you trying to work up a novel-sized story.

Anywho...felt like expanding on the writer some.

That's ME.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Greetings again, Brothers and Sisters of the Pen.

It has been a considerably long time since I have posted here, tho I do, even to this day, stop in for a read occasionally. I am not entirely sure who is still around, but I hope to those who have passed beyond, good life and good living. To those of you still occupying these halls, I say hello again.

I took up a new (old) game about 2 years back, called Neverwinter Nights. Fun game, and it offers online multi-player games called Persistent Worlds. For any of you unfamiliar with the game, it is based on D&D/AD&D rule set 3.5/4. The particular PW I play on is World of Greyhawk. It includes D&D rules mostly, tho it takes into consideration the various newer classes of AD&D, including the Prestige Classes. Lots of fun, especially for me, as the game itself was quite inexpensive, and playing online is free.

Anyway...My story/novel is growing still. I have added new characters to it, and yes, I AM still using the YWriter software from SpaceJock software.

The outline is fairly close to my goal for the book, tho, to be honest, I haven't really gotten more than about 8 chapters fleshed out. I figured, when I started my little novel Idea that it was going to be a 5 year mission. With the pace I set, it may even take a bit longer than that. We'll see.

Anyway....I just wanted to let folks know I AM still alive and I am reading here at the Pen. :)

Hope everyone is doing well.

TTYL

GH

Edited by GeldrinHor

• 2 years later...

And here I return again, more than 2 years after the last posts, to reestablish my links to you fine folk. I still play Neverwinter Nights (every Sunday evening from 6 pm pacific to whenever we get done, usually 10 pm). I am also still writing, tho I am on a different machine now and the writings have taken up more Word/WordPad space. I'll get it figured out.

At age 50, I've learned that sometimes my sense of time can get skewed. And sometimes. . . Wayyyyyyyy skewed. I have gone back and doen some rewrites and rearranged my chapters, so am still under 10 chapters fleshed out. But I AM still writing...just my job keeps me a touch busier than I had originally assumed it would and my gaming occupies more of my attention. Well, all that and Facebook too. LOL. You may find Kikuyu Black Paws there. She got her first book printed, published and released finally. :)

I'll let her know the Pen is still alive and send her this way. :)

Just updating folk. My heart and soul to you, my friends.