The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Fields of Fire

Fire...heat shimmered in the air. Above, black clouds roiled menacingly across a red sky, lightning kissing the unforgiving, unloving ground. The ground itself was scorched beyond recognition. Cracks ran their course through the earth, letting forth blasts of steam from rivers of fire below the surface. A few drops of rain fell from the heavens, evaporating before they even touched the ground. No life survived.

Except one...

Clouds of black dust kicked up by the hateful wind parted, revealing the lone survivor. He stood with his hands at his sides. Despite the heat he wore all black, a long coat. His dark hair was pulled back into a horsetail, his pale skin soot-stained. He breathed and fire scorched his lungs. He blinked and it seared his eyes. The taste of heat filled him with a heady sense of grief.

He lifted his face to the clouds, tears coursing down his cheeks. Before they even reached his jaw the heat seared them from his skin. He spread his arms wide, begging the skies to take him. Thunder laughed at him and lightning pierced the ground around him.

But they did not take him.

He found a cave to collapse in when the storm had passed. Heat still seared his body, wind threatened to etch his skin from his bones. And there in the cave was a torture worse than all that nature could throw at him.

He stood. Slowly he entered, hand on the stone to steady himself. There she lay, her tiny body covered in a white cloth. Already red and black dust had coated the corners. He slowly walked forward and knelt, touching her head with the tips of his fingers. She did not wake to greet him, to flash her brilliant smile his way.

And now, away from the heat, the tears could fall.

He buried her in the very back of the cave, where the ground was still pliable. Atop the pile of black ground and rock, he placed a tiny golden locket. He sat completely still and stared at the ground. Then he kissed his bent fingers, pressed them to his brow, and then sent the gesture her way.

Never again would she stand to receive it.

He exited the cave, tying a black cloth about his face to protect him from the dust, and things much worse in the air. Radiation was everywhere: it had etched into the bones of thousands lying across the plain.

And now he could see it. The storm had whipped up dust and settled it again, but then the after-winds had cleaned the fields. For as far as he could see, the white of skeletons, human and animal alike, lay on the earth as if asleep. From a bent and crooked skeleton of an aged man, to the tiny bones of a child...they were all there. Except for him: some anomaly had kept him alive.

He dearly wished it had not.

"I've never seen anything like it," the doctor murmured to himself. He scanned the DNA chart again of Vincent McAderly. There was nothing in it that even remotely pertained to a human. "Fascinating," he murmured again.

The doctor turned to a window which looked into the room where the man sat, pulling his shirt on again. The man rubbed his arm where they had taken blood, staring hollowly forward.

The doctor entered, still staring at the chart.

Vincent glanced over at him, dark green eyes not showing even a spark of interest. "What did you find?"

The doctor gestured at the papers. "Your genetic makeup is like nothing I've ever seen. It must be some affect of the quantities of radiation you received...I'll have to do more testing, see what I can find."

Vincent narrowed his eyes. "Testing won't be necessary," he said slowly. "I'm not a lab rat."

The doctor looked up at him. "But obviously you're in no position to make decisions for yourself. And seeing as you have no kin left to make them for you, I'm afraid you're going to have to stay here."

Vincent felt himself go numb at the insensitive jab. He grabbed his jacket. "I'm out of here," he snarled.

The doctor easily pushed a white button on the wall. "Security to Ward 3, we have an unstable patient attempting to escape."

Vincent stared in shock at the doctor for this outrageous claim a moment too long. Men in white coats, one pushing a silver table with a bottle of clear liquid and a needle, entered the room. The doctor smiled at Vincent smugly.

Vincent walked towards the men in white, heading for the door. "Get out of my way," he growled.

The man with the cart picked up the needle and filled it with the liquid. Several other assistants attempted to grab Vincent.

With a roar of rage Vincent knocked them aside. He watched in horror as they went crashing into the wall beside him, knocked unconscious. He had only meant to shrug them off...what had just happened?

More assistants rushed at him. Vincent, overcoming his shock with rage, slammed an arm into them, scattering them like leaves. Before his eyes they were swept away. With ease he forced his way to the door and through it, running down the hall.

Sirens blared throughout the white walls. He turned in a frantic circle. This wasn't right. Where was the doctor's office from before?

The doctor approached from a side hall. "Easy Vincent. We just want to help."

Vincent turned on him, eyes wild with fear and rage. "Where am I?" he roared.

The doctor watched as an aide came up from behind, a needle in his hands. "A mental institute. We just want to study you, see what affects the radiation had upon your body and brain. Just come quietly, and I assure you that nothing will..."

Vincent was swamped with a strange sixth sense. Almost against his will, and before he had even realized it, he had whirled around and grabbed the aide. In fright the young man plunged the needle into Vincent's arm.

Drowsiness hit him firstly. Then cold rage swamped it out. What was happening to him? Heat burst along his body, centering around his heart. Was he having a heart-attack? Then it poured out. He could see it: red streams of heat coursing through the air. It touched the doctor and his clothing ignited. He screamed and ran down the hall, beating at himself.

With a sob of horror Vincent rushed down another hall. He turned and turned, more heat gushing from his agitated body, until he found a door. He burst through it and into a large forest. Where was he? What had happened? He kept running.

Night found him sitting with his legs dangling over a cliff-edge. A forest spread its mighty arms behind him.

Before him stretched his former homeland, now nothing but a charred wasteland. Heat tinged a breeze that blew past him. For a moment the feeling of heat invigorated him and made him feel alive. He pushed down the desire to ignite, to touch fire and let it consume and burn. He clutched at his head, trying to sort out his thoughts.

He had stumbled from the fire into the nearest city. There he had collapsed on a main street, his clothing coated in blackened radiation dust. From there a medical institute had taken him in and told him they were to test his DNA for radiation damage.

And that was when they had drugged him, taken him to the mental institute and proceeded to test him there. When all was said and done, they had meant to treat him like some experiment. A freak.

"But my friend, that is what you are."

Vincent turned and looked around. Standing not too far from him was a man of small stature. His hair was blonde and cut short about his head. His eyes were the palest blue that Vincent had ever seen, and he was clothed in white.

Vincent narrowed his eyes and slowly stood. The man held up a hand. "Easy. I am not here to harm you."

Vincent shivered. "How did you know what I was thinking?"

The man held a hand to his chest. "Well that is my power. Yours is the manipulation of fire and heat. I witnessed what happened in the hospital." At Vincent's questioning gaze he tapped his forehead. "I felt a disturbance and decided to investigate. My name is Myrn. It is an honor to meet you Vincent."

Vincent sat back down. "And exactly who are you?"

Myrn sat down next to him, leaning back on his hands. "I am from a place not far from here. Others like you and me are there. And, quite frankly, we need your help."

Vincent did not take his gaze from the land before him. Out there he knew the body of his child lay covered in ash and rock, slowly being eaten by radiation. "What for?" he asked stiffly.

Myrn gazed intently at Vincent. "We have the information. You have a vendetta to fulfill. I believe we can help each other."

Slowly Vincent turned to look at him. "You know who did that?" He looked back at the mutilated land, a scar of red and black across the horizon.

Myrn grinned softly. "That I can help you with."

Vincent stood. "Take me to your...wherever it is."

Myrn stood and brushed off his immaculate clothing. Side by side they looked like twisted brothers: tall and short, white and black. Myrn took Vincent by the elbow and smiled up into his face. "Hold on."

The small man took a deep breath and they disappeared.

Edited by Kikuyu Black Paws

A young girl had her nose stuck in a book, lying in a wheel-barrow under a tree in her yard. She tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear and scratched her nose. The wind played with the leaves above her head and she smiled.

Suddenly a huge gust of wind blasted past her, ripping at the pages to her book. She sat up, startled, and looked to the sky. Storm clouds had suddenly roiled across the sky and then a whirlwind of leaves boiled past her. She covered her face against the slaps of the foliage, and between her fingers she thought she saw the faces of two men. She lowered her hands as the trees tumbled away from her, falling over each other, rising up on the currents of the wind and falling back down. They were gone in a heartbeat.

Lights circled around him. What sounded like the singing of thousands of birds filled his ears, and the sound of chimes rattled through Vincent's head. Places whipped by, faces and humans, but they were a whirlwind that was unrecognized as two semi-humans flying past. A calm part in his mind noticed he was screaming, and, startled, he stopped.

Almost as soon as he stopped, so did they. They stopped spinning and Vincent found himself falling. But no, Myrn still clutched his arm and they were gliding down towards a huge building with a silvery-blue dome. A huge, spiraling tower jutted past them out of the clouds and Myrn banked sharply to avoid it. He set them down gently in front of the doors.

"Don't ever do that to me again!" Vincent gasped. Myrn smiled faintly and gestured to the door.

"Shall we go in?"

Myrn pushed the doors open and they entered a huge hall. The dome above sparkled and refracted the light, giving the white marble beneath them a sapphire hue. In the center of the hall was a fountain with a statue at the middle. Vincent gazed at it as he passed. A tall man with a fierce gaze stared forward, his hair spiked and mussed. He was dressed in a long duster, and he was preparing to unsheathe a long sword at his side. Vincent thought it looked mildly samurai-ish in nature, but before he could get a better look Myrn pulled him along.

People moved about them, eyeing Vincent with interest. One, a small woman with blue hair and slanting sapphire tattoos under her eyes cast him a small smile. When she turned, Vincent jumped as he noticed blue-feathered wings folded tightly against her back. A man with golden eyes and long nails watched them from a corner, juggling nine knives. The most unnerving thing was that he was not looking at where his hands were going, and it seemed he barely touched the blades. Currents of air seemed to be all that kept them airborne.

They came to some golden elevators. Myrn did not even touch the button, but as they approached it lit up, calling a lift. Vincent glanced sharply at the small man, wondering if this was more mind control, but Myrn only smiled innocently at him. The doors opened and Myrn led Vincent into a lift. It was empty except for a very small girl leaning against the corner. She scooted farther into the corner when she saw them and she pulled her hood lower. At the next possible floor she got off quickly.

Vincent watched her depart. "What's with her?" he asked, slightly affronted at her behavior.

Myrn sighed sadly. "She doesn't like human company. She hangs around the elementals and half-breeds mostly, tries to keep to herself." Myrn's eyes found Vincent's. "She's a little like you."

Vincent mulled this over in his mind. "Half-breeds?" he questioned. "Isn't that derogatory?"

Myrn grinned broadly. "Oh, that's what they like to be called!"

The doors opened again to reveal a plush red carpeted hall with many doors of mahogany on the walls. It seemed to stretch on forever, but as Vincent looked closer, he saw that it was only an illusion caused by a mirror at the end. Neither he nor Myrn were reflected in the glass.

Myrn pulled Vincent to the fifth door on the right. He knocked smartly and then rocked back and forth on his heels, coughing slightly to relieve his nervousness. After a moment the door creaked open and a man with long white hair and a cat-like face appeared. He grinned, baring slightly sharp teeth at Myrn. "So you brought us another stray," he purred.

Vincent frowned. He wasn't sure he liked being called a 'stray'. The cat-man bowed low to him. "Well come in, come in," he purred again. "You'll need to meet our leader if you are to join us."

Vincent cast Myrn an accusing glance. Well, what is it you've gotten me in now? he thought, deliberately making his thoughts loud and angry. With satisfaction he saw Myrn wince and rub his ears. He followed the cat-man through the door.

They appeared to be in an aviary of sorts. Bird calls filled the air, from the keening cry of a raptor to the wild twitter of sparrows. The cat-man talked as they walked, Myrn following. "This is our leader's favorite area of relaxation. Unfortunately he does not like me to be in here. Says it's too tempting." He sighed. "Lousy rules," he muttered as he watched a tiny bird flit from branch to branch with hungry eyes. Myrn coughed slightly and the cat-man blinked and looked back at them. "Erm, ah...right. But I am forgetting my manners. I'm Lynx. If you'll just come this way..." he trailed off into silence and shoved his hands into his pockets like a little child in a china store told not to touch. He kept his eyes away from the birds and noticeably ignored all the nests he went by.

Soon they came to a large glass door. Lynx pushed against it and it opened, revealing a study. Vincent entered. When Myrn had come through, Lynx shut the door. Immediately the chatter of the birds was cut off.

A desk was before them. Working at it adamantly was a man with tousled brown hair. When he looked up Vincent was caught by the man's dark eyes. The man smiled. "So..." he mused. "This is the new Fire Weaver you discovered last night."

The man walked out from behind the desk and stood in front of Vincent. "I trust you minded your manners in the aviary?" he questioned.

At first Vincent was confused. Then behind him, Lynx answered. "Yes Kato."

Vincent almost laughed, but he felt it would not be appropriate. Kato flashed him a grin gestured at a chair before his desk. "Please have a seat."

Vincent took the proffered chair uncomfortably. Behind him, Lynx and Myrn stood on either side of him. Vincent nervously realized that it was not for his protection, but for the man before him.

Kato leaned forward and propped his elbows on the desk, pressing his fingers together. "So, Vincent McAderly, what is it that has brought you here?"

Vincent waved a vague hand in Myrn's direction. "Ask him."

Kato laughed richly. "I mean what has happened recently in your life that has suddenly caused you to use your powers so publicly? Do you seek companionship? Revenge perhaps?"

Vincent swallowed hard. This man was direct: he didn't beat around the bush at all. "My home..." he choked off as rage and hurt filled him. The image of the tiny grave in the cave with the locket atop it made him lower his face so that the man before him would not see his tears. For a moment he forced his emotions under control. Kato waited patiently.

"My home was destroyed by explosives of some sort. Radiation was everywhere, and those who didn't die of the explosions soon died of radiation poisoning. I wasn't one of them. It took my daughter, my home..." he jerked a finger behind him. "That wasteland on the edge of town is all that's left of it. Bones pave the streets now. Not a building stands. And my daughter is buried in a wasteland. She was only sixteen."

Kato pressed his fingers to his mouth. "I am so sorry." He sounded truly sincere.

Vincent shrugged. "I came into town, and from there I had no idea where or who I was. The radiation sickness took me, if it didn't kill me. Those phonies you call doctors tried to use me as a lab rat, and I got angry. Then I got scared. Whatever happened happened...and then your little mind-reader here found me."

Myrn's face remained a blank mask of iron, but behind he was slightly hurt. Was that all he was after he had saved him from insanity and loss in the forests? Some 'mind-reader'? He blinked it off. He had been the same when he had been found. Why should he treat Vincent any differently than he had been?

Kato leaned back. "So you seek a new home?"

Vincent leaned forward, his eyes lighting with fire. "I seek that, yes. But most of all I seek revenge for my daughter and my home, for all those thousands dead. I want to know who did it and I want to see them suffer the same fate as my daughter. She died a slow, painful, body-twisting death of radiation sickness, slowly decaying while she was still alive. And I couldn't do anything to help her. I was supposed to protect her, I was the one she trusted, and I let her down..." he thudded back into his chair, overcome by grief again.

Kato's eyes burned with agreement. "Aye, we can help you track down her killers. And we can do it legally as well."

Vincent blinked. "Why does that matter?"

Kato smiled. "We've something of a clean reputation here, Vincent. You can't just go gallivanting off into the night and attack whoever. It must be thought out and done with justice." Kato tapped his fingers on the chair, smiling. "Your daughter will be justified, Vincent. I can promise you that."

"For now, that is enough."

With a wave of Kato's smooth hand, Vincent was dismissed. Myrn took him by the arm and led him out through the aviary and farther down the plush hallway. Soon they came to a door on the end. A key, silver and elaborate, hung beside the knob. Myrn took it off and opened the door. Inside lay a lovely little cove of a room. "This will be where you stay. I'll bid you goodnight and come for you in the morning."

Vincent nodded a sharp thanks, only wishing to get into the room and be alone. Myrn eyed him solemnly for a moment before he nodded in return and swaggered away down the hall.

Don't feel alone, Vincent, a smooth voice echoed through his head. You do happen to have friends here.

Vincent shook his head, grimacing, and closed the door behind him. He looked around him. In the corner were a comfy looking bed and a little bed-side table. A lamp illumined the room with a soft, tender glow. A few impersonal pictures of mountains hung along the walls. A desk with a laptop and several other electronic goodies sat beside it, along with shiny pens and stacks of white paper. Vincent shivered and shrugged out of his coat. He had no belongings to fill the dresser across from the window. He opened the drawers out of habit and was startled to find several clean, silken white shirts and a few black folded there. He opened another drawer and there were black slacks, some with buckles for (he could only guess) blades, some without.

He closed the drawers and sat down on the bed. For a moment, Vincent just stared at the blank wall in front of him. The entire room was decorated warmly, with everything he might need in it. But it held no warmth.

Slowly, afraid of what he would find, Vincent probed inwards. He had to find it...

But it was not there. Now he realized. The cold that had consumed him began to thaw. Where the place for his daughter had used to be in his heart was now a dark, empty hole. She was gone.

And now, slowly, he let the tears fall. A roaring noise filled his head; he could not see for the liquid in his eyes. He placed his face in his hands and began to sob brokenheartedly.

She was not coming back.

Suddenly a tender finger touched his cheek. Vincent looked up. There was the girl from the elevator who had run. She looked at a tear suspended upon her finger. Slowly it pulled from her skin and began to float upwards. The girl followed it with her eyes. Or perhaps the drop followed her gaze.

"Why are you crying?" Her voice was husky and hesitant, as if it were itself used to crying out with inner pain. "Who hurt you?"

Vincent swallowed hard and wiped his eyes, taking a deep breath. "I don't know. But they took someone from me."

The girl slowly stood. Even on her feet she was not as tall as Vincent sitting. She clasped her hands together. "I am sorry." She turned. Vincent's eyes fixed on her back. From her shoulder blades protruded brilliantly white wings. Without another word she stepped through the wall and disappeared.

Heat swarmed around Vincent's body. Thunder roiled through the air: the bombs had come again. He screamed, searching for his daughter. "Laura!" he screamed, feeling as if his throat would tear with the force and the heat. "Laura!"

The thunder grew louder, filling his ears. He was going to die...

Vincent sat up straight in bed, drenched in sweat, eyes wide. Someone was pounding upon his door. "Vincent, open up!" Myrn's voice bellowed.

Vincent whirled out of bed and scrambled to open the door. When it was open Myrn stood there, his fist still raised, eyes wild with worry. "Your thoughts were red and..." he swallowed. "You were dreaming?"

Vincent stared at him for a moment before nodding. Myrn took a step back. "I can't imagine what you went through," he stated honestly. "But come on and get dressed or you'll miss breakfast."

Vincent went into the bathroom and rinsed the sweat from his body. When he was dry he pulled on a new white shirt from the drawer and some crisp black pants. He followed Myrn out into the hall.

On a lift again, Myrn took them to the highest level in the tower. When the doors opened, Vincent could not keep his mouth from dropping.

It was even larger than the hall below them with the dome. The walls and ceiling were made of glass, and all around you could see for miles. Sun glittered off of jeweled trees below, and in the distance Vincent could see the blue of a lake. He shivered as he looked around. Thankfully, the south where his homeland had used to be was covered by the wall with the elevators. Hundreds of people were moving along a huge white table that curved through the middle of the room. Food was piled upon it, and then small circular or long wooden tables were set along the windows so that people could eat with friends and groups and enjoy the day. As he watched, Vincent saw two twins with heaping plates of food make their way towards a huge group of people in the corner. They roared a greeting as they arrived and the twins began setting down plate...after plate...after plate, all from the same two plates they carried.

Myrn grinned at Vincent. "I hope you're hungry."

The mind-reader led Vincent along the table. Every kind of food Vincent could imagine was here. Vincent, at first hesitantly, but then with greater eagerness, filled his plate beside Myrn. When Vincent wondered how much more food he could fit on his stuffed plate, the table ended and Myrn led him over to a quieter area of the room where two tables were drawn together. The girl who had walked through the walls in his room was there, eyeing him shyly, moving her scrambled eggs around in circles. A young man who looked something like a punk with piercings above his right eyebrow and tattoos slashing across the left side of his face drank water from a clear glass, studying him. He gestured at Vincent, but addressed Myrn. "Who's the noob, psych?"

Posted Image

Myrn raised his eyebrows but smiled. "This is Vincent. He's a Fire-Weaver. I wouldn't make him mad if I were you."

The punk grinned and bowed from the waist down. "Well then I have no problems, do I?" He snapped his fingers and refilled his glass. "Water beats fire every time."

Before he had even realized it, Vincent had sent a tiny puff of hot air the punk's way. The water evaporated from the glass before he could drink it. The other occupants of the table roared with laughter and the punk grinned ruefully. "You and I'll have to spar sometime," he chuckled. "Name's Kida." He pointed a fork at the quiet wall-walking girl from before. "That's Laura..." Vincent stiffened and looked up at the girl. His daughter's name echoed around in his head. She kept her eyes on her plate. She seemed to know that he was suddenly tense.

"...and that's Dos."

Vincent pulled his brain back to the present and looked where Kida was pointing. A very, very lanky man with wavy dark hair was eyeing him with large, fathomless eyes and smiling. He leaned forward and offered a hand. "Pleased to meet you," he said in a deep, rich tone.

Vincent took his hand and shook it. "Likewise." He turned to his food and began to eat, listening and cataloguing while he filled his stomach. He had not realized how hungry he was: he hadn't had anything proper to eat since, well, before the...accident. He forced his mind away from the subject.

Kida pushed his empty plate away. He looked out at the sky beyond. "So...who's up for a game of Sahdhe?"

Dos rolled his eyes. "I always win, Kida."

Kida grinned. "I know, but Vincent here hasn't played it before. Come on, it'll be fun to see how the noob makes out."

Vincent glanced suspiciously among them. "What are you getting me into-"

Kida leapt over the table and grabbed his wrist. The rest followed as the punk dragged Vincent out of the room, cheering. Vincent looked over his shoulder. "Myrn! Help me!"

Myrn laughed and followed, shrugging. "They want to see how you play. I wish you luck!"

"BUT I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT SAHDHE IS!" Vincent roared.

The group herded him out of the hall and crushed him into an elevator, still protesting. Myrn, laughing, hopped in before the doors closed.

Kato watched from his large window as Vincent was pushed towards the training grounds; he massaged his throat thoughtfully. Behind him Lynx eyed a bird in a cage, watching its every movement with cat-like precision. Kato sighed. "It really is a pity," he mused. "Parent's aren't supposed to bury their children..."

Lynx, still staring at the bird, nodded absently. "Yeah...I totally agree..."

Kato turned on him, frowning. "You aren't even listening. And stop staring at my bird!"

Lynx's eyes whipped to Kato's face, a guilty look creeping into his eyes. "Sorry Kato, I just can't help myself..."

Kato waved a hand in dismissal. "I know you can't, don't explain yourself to me. But if you want a bird, go out and catch one where I can't see you."

Lynx bowed and left, a new spring in his step. Kato turned back and looked out of his window. "Who are you Vincent?" he murmured. "What are you looking for other than vengeance?"

In the dark...a shadow...sitting upon a throne. Before him crouched a subordinate. "Your plan has been carried out sire," the crouching man hissed. "All were killed...but..."

"But what?" a rich, commanding voice demanded. "Who was it?"

"A man named Vincent." The man pulled a picture from his shirt. "Apparently a strange anomaly in his DNA caused a chain reaction. He is now at the refuge for the Mythicals and other such freaks."

The commander pulled the picture back into the shadows. Burning eyes could be seen, surveying the strong, hawk-like features before him. "And the others, you are sure they are dead?"

"He buried his own daughter sir."

A cold chuckle filled the air. "That is clever indeed. Even I had not foreseen this change of events. See to it that he does not know who it was that did this. I would not have him coming and disrupting my plans with unnecessary disturbances. You know what to do."

The man stood and bowed, a long Katana at his hip. "I will sire," the ninja grinned. "That is, after all, my job."

Vincent was dragged along the grounds in a throng of screaming, whooping youngsters. I'm getting too old for this... he thought vaguely.

They came to a large sand pit. It was about the size of a large pool, the sand raked in curves and circles. In the center at angles to each other and spread apart by intervals of ten feet were huge boulders. Long wooden poles were embedded into the center of each boulder and protruded upwards six feet. Dos pulled himself from the group, towering over all the others, and pushed down lightly on his feet. The next moment he was standing on the ball of one foot atop the tip of a pole, his other foot pressed against his thigh. He crossed his arms across his chest, raising one eyebrow. "Shall we begin?" he asked coolly.

Myrn took Vincent by the shoulder. "It's a form of 'King of the Hill'," he explained. "Not only do you have to balance, but you also have to try to knock him over using only your abilities."

Vincent eyed the space in between rocks. No kidding... He jumped feebly. Scattering of muffled laughter echoed behind him. He gritted his teeth in frustration; his anger sparked heat in his chest. He grinned, drawing on that heat. He pushed it under his feet. Slowly, wobbling, he rose up to the pole. Someone down in the group whooped.

Dos' eyes glittered. "So you do have some talent," he commented. "Let's see how well you control it!"

Vincent suddenly felt a huge gust of wind push against his shoulders. He pin-wheeled wildly and forced a gust of heat against his back. He lurched forward and wavered. Finally he regained his balance.

Dos took a flying leap from one pole to another, landing on his fingertips, and then pushed off so that he was on the opposite side of the pit. Vincent slowly turned to face him, tense with concentration. A ghost of a smile crossed Dos' pale lips. "Impressive." He raised an arm. "Now let my tempest blow out your spark!"

This time Vincent could see the force rushing at him. Sand was kicked up and formed into a whirling tornado. Vincent braced himself; with panic he tried to pull fire from his body and into the air, but in his haste it slipped from his fingers.

A hand of air shoved him in the chest and he toppled. He was falling, but a glove caught him and began to bring him down. Startled, Vincent turned his head and saw Laura with her hand upraised, guiding him back to the ground. She turned and hid in the crowd when his feet were level.

Dos hopped down easily and slapped Vincent on the back. "You have good control, that is for sure, but it isn't perfect. I'll enroll you in my class. I wouldn't want to see that potential go to waste." He turned away and swaggered towards the main building.

Vincent turned to Myrn, disgruntled. "I have to take a class with him? For what?"

Myrn grinned. "That was a test to measure your power and control, which, if I may say so, is better than any beginner I've ever seen." Suddenly the mind-reader's eyes twinkled. "And you won't be taking a class with Dos. You'll be taking it from him."

Vincent gaped. "You mean...that youngster..."

"Yes," Myrn chuckled. "That youngster is a class 5 elemental. He'll be your teacher."

After lunch Laura approached Vincent. She brushed a tendril of hair behind her ear and looked at him solemnly. "Dos' class starts soon. I'll show you where it is."

Without a word Vincent followed her. She led him to the very bottom of the building, below ground. As soon as the doors opened Vincent felt as if he had stepped into space. The walls were glittering with clocks that steadily ticked. The sky was black and dappled with tiny lights, and the bones of several large flying creatures hung suspended from the ceiling, as did twirling models of planets and solar-systems. Comfy looking chairs and bean-bags were settled along the floor and a desk was at the front. The room was empty. Laura took a seat in a blue bean-bag at the front. "I like to get here early," she said. "So you have time to look around if you want."

Vincent nodded and moved along to a bookshelf. There were huge tomes and novels with words he couldn't even describe printed along their bindings. Through the silence pervaded the steady tick-ticking of the clocks. A large cat was stretched across an arm chair behind the desk, its dark grey fur looking much like a storm cloud. Luminous lightning-yellow eyes surveyed him with interest and the creature had huge ears with tiny whiskers at the edges. Along his sides were jagged black stripes and he flicked a tail that was tufted in fire. Vincent stepped forward in wonder.

"That's a Fire-Lynx," Laura explained, noticing his interest. "His name is Ralz. Dos belongs to him."

Vincent cast Laura a questioning glance, but she was looking down at her hands, where she was making a tiny pebble caught from outside float along her palm. Slowly other students began to trickle in, finding seats and staring at him.

Soon the room was almost full. Dos came in through a side door that Vincent had not noticed, his long legs carrying him swiftly to his desk. "Everyone find you seats." His voice resounded throughout the small room that looked larger than it really was. When Dos looked up, his eyes immediately fell on Vincent. "Student Vincent, take your seat."

Vincent frowned. "I'd prefer to stand."

Dos' eyes flashed and some of the other students gasped. One chuckled and shook his head. Another seemed about ready to dive for cover under his bean bag. When Dos spoke again, his voice was cold and soft, but Vincent could hear him clearly. "While you are a student in my class, Vincent, you will take your seat. And I assure you that if you wish to fulfill your dreams of vengeance you will need my class. Sit down!"

Vincent slowly folded himself into a beanbag, scowling. Dos turned and scanned the rest of the room with his eyes. "Now that we are all settled..." Chuckles scattered across the room, and Vincent's scowl deepened. Dos smiled. "Power control. Using your abilities to the fullest extent without destroying yourself or making yourself look the fool. Learning where they come from and what to do with them. In Vincent's case here they come from a strange anomaly in his DNA, giving him the power to bend fire and heat at his will. I myself can bend time and wind. Tadataka over there can make animals obey his every whim and turn into them at will. We are all very different. Come with me."

The class stood and followed Dos through the door opposite the one he had first come through. They stepped into a dark room. A pool of light shone at the center. "I want everyone to show us something they can do," Dos called. "Anything at all. We'll start with Vincent."

Vincent felt his hair prickle. Was Dos harassing him for his insubordination earlier? He felt silly obeying this young man. But, not wanting another confrontation, he stepped into the pool of light. All eyes were on him. What should he do?

Vincent sighed and looked straight at Dos. He let his anger and frustration fill him with hot wrath and let it pour out of him. He deliberately probed at the sore, dark spot in his heart.

Fire blossomed from his hands and skin, it lined his body. His eyes began to glow with heat and he bared his teeth in frustration. He wanted to send it flying anywhere. But with a deep gasp he sucked it back in. He blinked and his eyes turned back to their normal shade. Without a word he moved back to the group. Inwardly he sighed with relief that he hadn't just stood there like a fool and nothing had happened.

As the others went, Vincent sank into himself and tried to regain his calm. He was still panting with rage, blowing through his nose. Dimly he saw the lanky young boy called Tadataka turn from a horse to a lion to a snake. Laura sank into the ground and back again, then caused her pebble to float around the room like a mini satellite. Another boy twisted and stretched around himself. A girl arched her back and spikes protruded from her skin, and as she raised her hands the rocks beneath them began to shake.

In two hours the class was dismissed. But as Vincent was leaving the room, Dos grabbed his wrist. "I have homework for you, Student Vincent," he said, eyes flashing again.

Vincent swallowed, feeling like this was very unfair. But he kept his wits about him, like a good adult should, and turned to face his teacher. Dos handed him a book. "I want this read by the end of the week," he instructed. "It will help you later on." He clasped Vincent's shoulder and walked away. Vincent turned and watched him walk towards the back of the room. Dos stopped Laura as she prepared to leave and his expression became concerned. They spoke briefly and then Dos nodded to her and stepped away again. Vincent waited for Laura to catch up. "What was that about?"

Laura ducked her head. "Nothing," she muttered tonelessly. She looked at the book in his hands. "Oh, you're reading that?"

Vincent grimaced. "Homework."

Suddenly Myrn appeared from out of nowhere beside them. "Kato's calling," he said, looking at Vincent. "He says they have a lead."

Vincent cast Laura one last glance, shoved the book into her hands, and sprinted off with Myrn.

• 2 weeks later...

The man in darkest clothing stood on the hill watching the tower of the freaks. He raised a gloved hand and looked up at it. There, behind the spread fingers, the sky was turning dark with storm clouds. He smirked: let them all know the ire of his master. The dark clouds loomed, fragments of red glowing from the boiling innards. Lightning and fire struck at the ground as the fury was let loose. Smoke poured from the storm and huge winds were whipped upwards. The first fireball hit the tower.

And all chaos was let loose.

Myrn collapsed to his knees with a scream of agony, holding his head in his hands. Vincent tried to gain his balance as the tower rocked wildly, explosions making his ears ring. Screams began to echo from the depths of the tower, and smoke started to pour into the hall. Vincent looked out the nearest window and gaped. Huge black clouds were thundering their way towards the tower, fireballs spewing from their inner depths and lightning striking the ground. No, no no! It was a dejavou from his worst nightmares.

Vincent grabbed Myrn by the arm and hauled him to his feet, hurrying with him towards the aviary. The birds around them shrieked in panic and Vincent dropped Myrn, picking up a potted plant. With a heave he sent it through the glass window. A stream of birds began to pour out of the opening to escape utter destruction. For a moment Vincent was frozen: in that glass room it was impossible not to see the giant size of destruction around them. Bending and grabbing Myrn, he dragged him towards the door.

When he burst through the opening, Kato was standing staring out of the window behind him, watching the clouds come their way. "Kato!" he screamed. "What are we going to do?"

The man did not look his way. "Get them out. Get everyone out. I will handle it."

Vincent stared in horror. "But..."

"There isn't much time. Go."

With a curse Vincent picked Myrn off the ground and ran back through the aviary. Kato watched him with a hollow gaze. Wordlessly he turned back to stare at the clouds. He pressed a button on the wall and the glass of the window moved away, leaving him bare and open to the elements. "Come on then," he growled. "Come and get me."

Vincent stumbled under Myrn's dead weight, gasping as he joined the throng of screaming youngsters. Over the throng he could see Dos' tall height directing everyone towards the exit. Vincent struggled towards him. "Where's Laura?" he yelled over the torrent of noise.

Dos shrugged, his eyes revealing the barely controlled madness inside of him. He pointed to the crowd, leaning close to Vincent. "Get them out," he yelled, repeating Kato's order. "I'm going to go find her."

Before Vincent could say anything the man had swirled on his heel and disappeared. Vincent shrugged Myrn higher on his shoulder and started yelling. "Ok, get out of here! Get to the entrances; make it as smooth as possible!"

Kato slowly began to lift his arms. Stones of rubble around him began to rise up in the air; his hair began to lift of its own accord, flowing as if in water. The frame of wood around him began to shake, tearing loose and floating upwards on the current. Power snapped around him. The tower shook with the impact of the storm, but it did not affect Kato. With a scream, his face twisting with the effort, he pushed the power at the cloud.

A shock wave unlike any Vincent had ever felt knocked everyone off their feet. Dos appeared out of nowhere and grabbed him. And then Vincent, Myrn, and Dos weren't anywhere.

Vincent sat and stared, his face pale and soot streaked. The once white tower glowed red hot, crumbling, wreathed with black clouds. Rubble continued to fall from the walls. The dome was shattered, as well as the glass dwelling room at the top. The clouds continued to spew fire and lightning, swirling slower and slower as the storm abated.

Dos stood with his arms crossed as he watched. His face was drawn and tight. "None of them made it out. Not even Kato."

Myrn lay unconscious on the ground. He still had not recovered from whatever fit had taken him. Dos had explained it to him. "Myrn hears the emotional and mental state of everyone around him. When terror and pain in such a cacophony hit him, he could not withstand it. It was about the equivalent of being hit in the head with a sledge-hammer."

It had happened again. Those he had grown to love had been destroyed by this...thing. This cloud, this storm was not natural. It stayed fixed around its designation. And now an entire tower of people had been killed. His voice shaking, Vincent turned and asked the question he didn't want to know the answer to. "Laura?"

Dos swallowed hard and shook his head. "It's possible she made it out. But I could not find her."

Suddenly footsteps crashed through the trees behind them. Dos whirled, ready to do battle. And then he stood in lax amazement.

Out of the trees had come Laura. She looked wild with terror and she shivered as if freezing, when it was as hot as a desert. Staggering, she collapsed into Dos' arms and began to sob uncontrollably. Dos tried to comfort her, tears streaming down his own cheeks.

Vincent closed his eyes. Never again would he be able to comfort his Laura. He had not been able to protect her like he was supposed to. He had failed.

He cast aside his sorrows. "Come; we have to get away from here before the radiation rises."

As they walked, Vincent rubbed his forehead. "You should not stay with me," he muttered. "This destruction follows me wherever I go."

Dos eyed him silently. "Kato trusted you," he said. "I trust you."

Laura caught Vincent's gaze with her own and nodded.

"And for the record," a hoarse voice added, "I trust you too."

Vincent looked over his shoulder to see Myrn smiling faintly, his eyes still closed. "How are you doing?"

"I've been better," he whispered. "I won't mind if you continue carrying me: I can't feel my legs right now."

Dos gestured ahead. "I know a place where we can stay. It's safe." Silently, the bedraggled survivors made their way into the forest.

The man in darkest clothing watched them from a treetop. He glanced back at the destroyed tower. Smirking, he leapt from the tree and followed them. He would move tonight, and his master would have his reward. Yes, Vincent was indeed too valuable to kill.

• 2 weeks later...

Dos led them deep into the forest. Vincent could not keep his eyes wide enough, exhausted though he was mentally and physically. Huge trees towered above their heads, spreading their large arms over and up to reach the now hidden sun. The moon slanted through lace-like leaves that danced in a faint breeze. Vincent jumped as a clanking, tinkling sound clattered above his head. Some wayward child had tied a hand-made wind chime of shells, shiny pebbles, and metal spoons to the branches above. He shivered slightly as the ghostly toy knocked against itself as the breeze caught its ends. They moved on.

The sound of a waterfall roared faintly in the distance and soon Dos led them along a trickling rivulet, obviously headed towards the bigger stream that would turn into a river to plunge from the cliff in a staggering spectacle of ferocious water. A jewel feathered bird peeped as they passed, his long beak tucked under one wing, but his glowing eye watching them unblinkingly. Again Vincent hastily kept his eyes towards the path, shifting Myrn to a more comfortable position on his shoulder. Then Dos paused, lifting his head to glance up at a patch of stars through a peak between tree branches. He sniffed quietly, turning his head as if listening. "We are being followed," he whispered.

Vincent felt a flame of fear (in his case a literal flame) spark deep in his chest. "Followed?" he whispered hoarsely. "By whom?"

Dos shook his head. "Not sure. We'd best keep moving until we find a good place to ambush them."

Vincent nodded and began to continue. Quick as lightning a shadow flashed out of the trees, slamming into Vincent and knocking Myrn from his grasp. He fell heavily to the ground with a cry and Vincent stumbled. The shadow grabbed him and, with inhuman strength, flashed through the trees again. Dos screamed his name and Laura disappeared with a pop, and then all Vincent could see were flashing leaves.

Suddenly crashing to their left made the figure pull up, but not quickly enough. A huge thing charged bull-like with head lowered out of the bushes and caught the shadow in the chest, heaving him up and over to go flying into the trunk of another tree. The creature turned, threw the figure on the ground, and straddled him, sitting firmly on his chest with his hooves planted in the shadow's neck.

Vincent did a double take as he caught his breath. Hooves?

The creature stared at him with large, black, liquid eyes. His face was equine and black furred, with long wisps of hair drooping from his chin and large, backward curving ears. Slender, elegant horns curved back from his head and he had a long mane of silvery hair. His arms were like that of a man, but also furred. His hands were long fingered and slender with sharp nails. A vest of what looked to be leaves draped around his shoulders. From below he looked to be made of tree: lichen, bark, twisting wood, and then at his calves he was furred again and his cloven hooves were dark as obsidian and seemed to be causing the man below him severe discomfort. "What?" he asked in a deep, resonating voice. "Something on my face?"

Vincent shook his head. The creature picked casually at its ear. "Some consider it rude to stare."

Dos appeared through the trees, supporting Myrn and leading Laura. He looked triumphant as he looked at the strange forest man before him. "I thought it was you!"

The creature snorted. "Who else? Do you care to take this man off my hooves? He's not comfortable to sit on."

Dos leaned Myrn against a tree and walked up to the man. He placed a foot on his chest and the creature stood, towering up to seven feet. From that angle Vincent could tell that what had seemed to be bark and moss before were really his clothing. Dos pressed down on the kidnapper's chest. "Alright then," he hissed. "Show yourself."

The man reached up and pulled off his cowl. He grinned. "Confused as to what happened to your tower? Thought you might be. My superior here is very interested in him." He jerked a thumb Vincent's way and grinned again. "It's all his fault. Might as well just hand him over anyway. Even if you kill me he'll get him. No one stands in his way when he wants something. He's very picky like that."

Dos stared at him in silence. "You maggot," he whispered. "I won't stoop to killing you." He pulled the ninja over to a tree and lashed him there soundly. "So I'll let the forest do it for me."

The ninja paled but grinned. "You think this will hold me?"

Dos tapped it and it seemed to solidify into concrete. "It will now!"

The ninja shrieked in rage and writhed against his bonds, ripping his clothing and bloodying his chest and arms. Dos turned away and beckoned for the rest to follow him. Vincent, unnerved and angry, stumbled as he helped Myrn to his feet but followed all the same. Laura chewed her lip and covered her ears against the man's raging as they passed.

The strange forest creature stood and tromped over to the man. Vincent could not see what he did, but he heard a large smack. The shrieking stopped. Vincent turned and the tree seemed to be shifting back into place and sighing. The man was gone, and the forest creature was turning to follow them, his large eyes fixed upon Vincent.

They stopped when they finally came upon the waterfall they had heard for miles. The creature stretched and shrugged off his vest and plunged into the water, his long mane spreading in the pool and becoming stained with the iridescent blue of the liquid and the gold of the moon. Vincent sat down, unable to keep his eyes off of the thing's hooves.

"I told you already it is rude to stare!"

Vincent snapped out of his revere. "Sorry," he grimaced.

The creature squeezed the water out of its mane between its dexterous hands. "I suppose you've never seen a Caracak before."

Vincent eyed the creature up and down. "A Cara-what?"

The Caracak bowed. "Rufus, at your humble service. This is just one of my many forms. Most common: it's useful for moving around the forest, but don't be alarmed if I change here and there." Suddenly there was a flash of green and silver leaves and a fair faced man was sitting next to him. "Like this!"

Vincent yelped and fell off of his seat. Rufus laughed and his face lengthened and furred again, his horns sprouted and he shook himself as his full transformation solidified. "Not all science has to be separate from fantasy," he chided. "Don't act so surprised, when you yourself are gifted with slightly non-scientific abilities."

Vincent scowled and dusted his pants off. "A genetic anomaly," he insisted.

The creature gestured at himself. "Some genetic anomaly," he agreed.

Vincent turned to Dos. "You know this...thing?"

Dos smiled as Rufus wrinkled his nose at being referred to as 'thing'. "He's helped us many a time. Sometimes my students entered these woods for training. He has provided shelter before; he can help us now. I would be grateful, he could just let you sleep outside. The trees are usually quiet, but they can be mischievous."

Vincent glanced up at the titans around them. "Mischievous?"

Rufus inspected his nails, chewing at one experimentally. "They like to move around you and pin you in, or perhaps sit on your head. If you're not of the forest they can be particularly nasty, like sending the bugs of their innards out to visit. That one's never pleasant, nor is it when they take you to their roots." He shuddered. "I did that once. Never again!"

Vincent still shivered at the sight of this wood monster, this Caracak. He had lived in a humble home before all of this started. Now he could 'bend' fire, was sought after by a malignant, petty someone, and was spending time in a moving, thinking forest with a creature who looked like it had just jumped out of one of the fantasy novels his daughter had so loved. He winced inwardly at the thought and shoved it away.

Rufus sniffed at him. "You smell funny. Like...fire and sorrow. Usually the two don't mix: sorrow is too wet."

Vincent blanched as the creature's very foresty scent wafted towards him. "You're a pansy yourself."

Dos looked up at the sky as Laura yawned and Myrn's head nodded again. "It will be day soon. Rufus, are you going to bring your house or are you going to argue all night?"

Rufus stood, towering higher and sniffed again. "Hasty, hasty," he grumbled. He stomped towards the clearing.

Vincent stood to follow but Dos motioned him down. "Watch."

Not long after Rufus arrived again carrying a silver-red seed in the shape of a heart. The Caracak dug deeply into the moist earth at the center of the huge clearing and planted it deep. He then brought a handful of water and sprinkled it over it, and then picked a silvery hair from his mane and placed it in the ground. "Rufus, Rufus, Rufus," he muttered, then stepped back hastily.

There was a groaning noise, and then a sprout burst from the ground. It thickened and thrust upwards at speeds unprecedented, turning into a tree that towered high above the forest canopy and was thicker around than many of the buildings Vincent had seen. In comparison, the huge Rufus looked like a tiny creature of insignificance. More of the little hand-made wind chimes dangled from its branches and Rufus leaned against it proudly. A lovely door appeared in the trunk. "Home," he chuckled.

Dos nudged Vincent and grinned. "Home really is where his heart is."

Still gaping and blinking hard from what he had seen, Vincent followed Rufus, Dos, Myrn, and Laura into the huge tree.

• 3 weeks later...

The tree on the inside was...enchanting. Every contour and curve of the wood glittered mysteriously and constantly shifted if only imperceptibly. Vincent moved his head around, keeping his eyes wide so that he could see everything. At the head Rufus trailed his hands along the walls, humming softly to himself as if extremely pleased. Bells were strung along the ceiling and as they passed they tinkled softly, welcoming the strangers into the home. They passed through an arch, from which hung long willow branches. The leaves shivered as they touched and clung to them, willing them to stay. They had not been walking long when they came to a large room that stretched upwards for what seemed to be the entire length of the tree. Silvery stairways of massive proportions spiraled and twisted to thousands of doors. What wall space was not occupied by countless doors was filled with tomes of all sizes and colors; golds, scarlets, and purples of autumn, greens and silvers of spring, and the blacks and browns of winter. The house shuddered and a deep rumbling pressed inwards.

Rufus raised his head and cast his gaze around. "A storm rages outside." He turned to the travelers. "Your rooms are this way."

He led them up a single spiraling staircase to a door that opened at his touch. Inside was a large sitting room; branching off of it were four doors. Rufus bowed them in. "I will be just a call away if ever you need me."

Vincent, washed and dressed in new clothing provided in his room, sat at a strange window. It seemed to be made of either extremely strong glass, or enchanted transparent wood. From without he could see Rufus moving about in the storm, picking up odd ends that were blown about and muttering to himself. On the wind his words could be understood. "Messy, messy," he muttered as he worked. His long fur and mane was blown in the wind, and when he towered up to his full height, Vincent felt a chill run along his spine at the sheer mystical ferocity that hovered in a constant shroud of mystery around the Caracak's body.

The night passed in silence, but with little sleep. Laura sat in a large arm chair, her legs drawn up to her chin. In one hand she absently rotated three stones. Myrn lay on a long couch, looking haggard and weary, but he kept his eyes open a crack. Every now and then Dos rose and resoaked the cloth on Myrn's forehead in a basin of black liquid. Vincent stayed at the window, watching the forest outside. The wind whipped branches around and the clouds roiled above in a raging tempest. Rufus had long since disappeared back into the tree, leaving behind him a tall pile of rock. Lying at its base was a small doll, one of the dolls belonging to a child of the now destroyed tower.

Rufus woke them bearing a tray piled high with food. Tea in an elaborate teapot, biscuits and butter, fruit of all colors and shapes, and vegitation that looked as if it had been plucked from the forest this morning, still bedewed. Rufus laid it on a foot rest with an elegant bow. Vincent noted that he was in his human form this morning, eyes a vivid emerald green. The Caracak turned to Vincent. "I did some research last night," he said. "The radiation has been washed away by the storm, and so it is safe to return to the tower. If you feel up to it, it would benefit for you to come with me. There is something there that might help you target your murderer."

Vincent swallowed the piece of fruit he had been chewing hard. Fire rose in his chest, but the Caracak blinked at him, melding into his beastly form. "If you ignite in my home," he said deeply, "I will be most displeased."

Vincent took a deep breath. "I will go," he said calmly. "And I won't ignite."

Rufus smiled. Turning to Dos he gestured at the room. "The entire house is at your disposal. Take care of these two here, we will return shortly."

Dos nodded and sat beside Myrn. The haggard man smiled at them. Today he could sit up and even eat a little, but apparently his head still screamed with pain.

Rufus, remaining in his faun-ish form, ventured out into the woods with Vincent at his side. They walked in absolute silence, each observing different aspects of the forest. About midday Rufus pointed out a silvery creature in a pool of water. Spotting the two travelers, the womanish figure flashed into the water with a flick of a bescaled tail.

It was just after lunchtime when they reached the remains of the tower. Smoke still blackened the sky above, but Rufus was right. The radiations clouds that had turned the air red were now dispersed to a managable level.

Rufus placed a hand against the stone of the tower wall, staring up at it. "This way," he beckoned towards the doors.

At the foot of the path lay a long scrap of charred cloth. Vincent picked it up and brushed it off. Upon it was a logo of scarlet and white. Vincent narrowed his eyes, heat boiling up in his chest. "I've seen this before," he hissed.

"They were supposed to help us. I was the leader of my village at the time. One day strangers came to us in the mountains. They spoke of a new life, of magical technology that would enhance our living. Many of the people wanted it: our farming machines were simply not enough for them anymore. They wanted thinking computers that would calculate the proper dates of planting and harvesting for them. Some did not believe them. My daughter was one who thought so. But the people insisted and so I let them come among us. They did bring marvelous things that made our lives easier...for a time. But then they insisted on payment and portions of crops, and even began drawing our sons and daughters with them for payment." Vincent dashed away tears. "They said we needed to pay them for their help. They almost took my daughter, but I stopped them. I...I killed the man who wanted her. They stopped coming to the village and I thought that would be the end of it, but not long after the clouds came. Nothing would grow and many of our people grew sick and began the long treck into the plains to reach help. I and my daughter stayed. Then the storm broke and everything died. The people moving to the cities were all dead in moments, their bones picked clean by radiation. My daughter died slowly, her body warped."

Vincent did not notice that his hands had began to burn. Fire lifted from his back. Rufus watched him solemnly. Vincent clutched the burning cloth tightly in his hands. "But now I know how to find them," he gritted. "They'll pay for what they did to my people...they'll pay for what they did to my daughter."

Rufus gently laid a hand on Vincent's shoulder. The fire stilled and Vincent looked up at him with tears on his cheeks. "Was it my fault?" Vincent whispered.

Rufus bowed his head. "No," he murmured. "There was nothing you could do.....at the time."

Vincent turned and straightened his shoulders. "Now there is. I will find him tomorrow, and at that time my daughter's death will be avenged. Nothing and no one will stand in my way," he vowed. "This I swear."

Rufus morphed into human form. "The forest will aid you when you find your man," he promised. "And I have no doubt that your friends will help you. But for now, we must ensure that Myrn does not suffer overlong." The Caracak pulled a silvery, lace-like plant from a pouch at his side. "This will ease his pain. We must return to administer it to him."

Vincent allowed Rufus to turn him about and lead him back into the forest.

Vincent sat on a cliff edge, not far from the huge towering branches of Rufus' heart home. He gazed over miles and miles of forest and mountain, far away from the destruction behind him. In his hands he rotated a long feather of sapphire, a feather that had been given to him by a pair of young hands eager to cheer him. The wind plucked at his clothing and danced before his eyes, it's fey, veiled faces taunting him as it sang. A stray piece of wind ran along his face and swirled around him. He looked up and saw a face that made his heart stop.

"Laura," he whispered, tears streaking down his face. "Laura!"

Laura's shadowy, beautiful face twisted in the winds. She held an armful of roses at her side, ribbons in her long hair flying. She smiled at him, turning and entering the small home they had shared as father and daughter. Many suitors had used to come to her with gifts and eager promises, but she had smiled and denied them all. As the wind flew apart, her image faded in his mind and she disappeared.

Vincent pressed his face into his hands, sobbing. "I'm so sorry," he wept. "So sorry..." The wind shook its heads and swirled up and around him once more, carrying a whirlwind of leaves and sorrows away with them.

The dark man walked through the halls, leaning heavily on a cane. His twisted, gnarled face crinkled up as he gave a harsh, hacking laugh. "His destruction will soon be complete. There will be no evidence against us, and our dominion will continue as planned."

A young man in a company uniform of a black suit walked at his side. His fists clenched at his sides and he swallowed hard. He had eyes of pale grey, but in the fading light they seemed green. He had silvery blonde hair that was cut about his jaw-line. At his breast was the company emblem of red and white and he scratched it absently. "My lord..." he began.

The old man whirled on him. "I'll hear no more about it!" he croaked. "You forget that he struck the first blow and killed one of my agents, after we had given him so much help."

The young man grimaced. "Of course my lord. So much help."

The old man hacked through laughter again. "You are resentful of what I did Ander? Hateful maybe? That is good. Power is built upon hate. You will learn this soon enough."

Ander paused in his walk and let the old leader gain a few steps, steps that he could easily take back. If he wanted, he could strike this decrepit thing concieved from hate and sprinkled with malice to the floor. But the powers were against him. Instead he clenched his fists at his sides again and contined on after him. "Yes my lord."

Vincent crept through town slowly. It was not hard for him to find the company headquarters. Their logo was everywhere, and the tallest, longest buildings in the city belonged to them, as did eighty-nine percent of all the city's money and jobs.

Vincent stood staring up at the building for a long time. Did the one responsible stay here at night? Or was he just broadening his map.

At the moment he didn't care. Pulling his duster tightly around him, Vincent moved through the shadows, looking for a way up. There was a fire-escape pod nearby. It would not be hard to short-circuit it and change its direction, and it appeared there was an open window above. From that window poured a tiny cube of light. Vincent moved to the pod. Nothing he couldn't handle, and he was determined to see what he could see.

A handful of fire to the wires and the red panel beside the pod blipped from red to green. Vincent smirked and shook his head. For all their technology and power, their programming could use some updating. The transport started upwards, slowly, and then building speed. Vincent clutched to the outer edge. The open window loomed closer and as the pod passed he clutched the sill.

Ander looked up from his late night paperwork and peered out of his open window. A pod had just shot past. Malfunctioning, again. He grimaced and ran a hand through his hair. So much money was spent on destructive weapons and dominion that none could be spared for even the most modest of security.

Ander was turning to find the nearest programming facility when the lights flickered out and a hand wrapped gently around his neck, hinting a dark promise of danger. Ander froze and felt a chill run along his back that was immediately replaced with heat. Light flickered behind him and the smell of fire assailed his nostrils. "It's you," he whispered.

The hand slowly turned him and Ander found himself staring into the fierce eyes of the man he had seen at the village. His long hair was the same, pulled back into a horsetail, but now a few silver strands frosted the corners of his brow. His face was haggard and grief drawn. For all of his weariness, he was well kempt and clean-shaven. He frowned. "I recognize you," he whispered.

Ander swallowed hard against the hand at his throat, glancing down at the fistful of fire that the man held at his side. "I'm Ander. I'm one of the agents who came to your village..."

Ander found himself slammed against the wall, the fire inches from his nose. The man's face was twisted into rage. "And were you one of those plotting to take our sons and daughters away? Were you one who planned to enjoy my daughter?"

Ander stiffened, his pride overriding his pain and fear. "No sir," he gritted. "I courted your daughter for a time, but I never planned to harm her. I did not know what was going to happen."

The man loosed him gently. "Do you know what happened to her?"

Ander lowered his eyes, and suddenly they were filled with tears. "I loved her, sir. Don't ask me to hear what happened."

The man's neck muscles were rigid and his eyes were narrowed with rage and pain. "I had to see it. Your boss destroyed us. And while those of my people who were on the plains at the time died a quick death, my daughter was twisted by the radiation until she died. She was beautiful through it all though...encouraging me..." the man choked off and turned away, pressing his hands to his head.

Ander stepped forward slowly, his eyes full of concern. "Sir, what is your name?"

The man straightened and took a deep breath. "My name is anonymous. Your master will know it well enough. Ask him. And when you're told not to come to work anymore, you'll know why." The man stepped towards the window, but Ander caught his shoulder.

"Please," he asked. "I can help you."

The man turned on him, eyes narrowed with distrust. "Oh really?"

Ander's eyes held only truth. "I loved her," he reminded.

For a long time the man eyed him up and down. Finally he stuck out his hand and gripped Ander's hand tightly. "I believe, young man, that had you asked and things not turned out such, that I would have been glad to see you court my daughter. My name is Vincent."

Ander nodded and smiled. "I'm Ander. I can get you into the building and tell you when the boss will be here."

Vincent smiled. "Welcome to the downfall."

• 2 weeks later...

Dos touched Myrn's shoulder lightly. "Are you feeling better?"

The mind-reader opened his eyes faintly. "What are you thinking?" he whispered.

Dos pressed the tips of his fingers together in thought. "I want to go to the destroyed village, see what I can see."

Myrn raised an eyebrow. "I'll get you there," he said. "It won't take long."

Rufus, sitting in the corner, watched them intently. "It's all right, I'll just stay here. As usual."

Dos cocked his head. "Do you want to come?" he asked, confused.

The Caracak thrust his nose in the air. "No no, don't worry about my feelings. Go ahead, go. I don't want to go now anyway."

Myrn smiled and gripped Dos' wrist. In a flash they were gone.

Vincent leaned over Ander's shoulder, watching him closely. The young man leaned over his computer, typing madly, running through pages and pages of coding. "What are you doing?" Vincent whispered.

Ander wiped sweat from his brow, eyeing the pages before him. "Getting you proof. Proof enough to stand against his anarchy."

Dos was used to Myrn's wind travel. But suddenly the green and gold turned to red and black. Myrn choked and let go of Dos' wrist. They spun to a violent halt. Myrn stumbled to his knees, clutching his chest as he coughed. Dos eyed his surroundings.

The ground was cracked and blackened. Red skies were dotted with blood red clouds that crackled with energy. A hot wind kicked up rust colored dust, swirling it in lifeless dust devils across the plains.

And there were skeletons. White, picked clean, lying there as if they had just lain down to sleep. Not far from where Dos was standing, a tall skeleton leaned over a very tiny one, its arms up and around it in a no-longer-felt embrace. Dos closed his eyes and Myrn disappeared from his side. Winds kicked and swirled, and then he saw a black figure tromping backwards at him from the cities. It was Vincent, his face covered in a mask to protect him against the heat. Dos followed him as he went, still holding to the past.

Vincent's backwards path led him to the cliffs. There he clambered in reverse into a cave. He sent a kiss to a tiny grave, settled a golden locket upon it, then it was unburied and became a tiny body covered in cloth already beginning to redden with the dust. Dos swallowed hard.

Vincent left again, wandered out into the storm, screaming at the skies that sent lightning piercing all around him.

Dos knew this part. Vincent had explained it to them. He pressed his power faster.

The dead began to rise around him. The red skies disappeared, the plains became green again. Dos saw a village. People wandering out into the plains trudged back to the homestead they were leaving. Dos viewed a familiar sight- a tall young man carrying a baby in his arms...the skeletons in the field.

Men in black uniforms with fiery emblems upon their chests came and went speedily. Dos watched as they took children as payment for the things they brought. Then he let time forward again as he watched three young men converge around Vincent.

A young girl was carrying a basket into the home. Vincent was standing nearby, leaning upon a large axe. He watched the approaching men shrewdly, carefully. One of them was young with silver-blonde hair and large eyes that watched his own comrades suspiciously. The other had wicked smiles upon their faces.

The tallest of the three, a man with black, greasy hair and a twisting grin beckoned to Vincent. "Payment time," he jeered. "Your pretty daughter will suffice this time."

Dos saw Vincent's face harden. "I don't appreciate your joke," he snarled. "I have not received any of your machines. I need pay for nothing."

The two men laughed, but the youngest turned his head away, his jaw clenched in rage. Vincent eyed him for a moment before turning his gaze back upon the two offenders. "Get out of here," he snarled. "I don't want to see you again."

The young girl appeared out of the house. She stood beside her father and watched the men. "What do they want, father?"

The man with greasy hair grinned. "Our payment," he hissed, and he lunged forward, grabbing the girl by the wrist and yanking her forward. "How about a kiss, pretty?" He pressed one hand against her back, squeezing her against his body, and leaned forward, gripping her face with his other hand. The young girl screamed.

Vincent lurched forward with a yell of horror. The young man with silver hair cried out.

In the next moment the man was lying on the ground with a bleeding gash in his chest, dead. The other man stared in shock, his eyes wide. The young man stepped back, looking sick. The older agent grimaced. "You'll pay for that, villager," he snapped. "You've just killed a General."

Vincent pointed at him, clutching his axe and breathing hard. The young girl leaned against him, sobbing. "He touched my daughter. Touch her and you'll get the same."

The men left, and the image swirled away as Dos returned to the present. He rubbed a hand over his eyes and shook his head. Myrn watched him cautiously. "You were gone a long time," he mused.

Dos sighed. "You may take us back now. I've seen what I needed."

• 1 month later...

The Caracak sat in a circle of mushrooms, his cloven hooves crossed before him and his head bowed deep in thought. The wind rustled around him and he looked up as a voice hummed on the air. A light flashed through the trees and then a young maiden clad in violet and blue appeared from a hydrangea bush. Wings of iridescent, curling tendrils sprouted from her back and her hair was sapphire in hue. Her eyes were large and amethyst, and two gracefully curving antennae protruded from her brow. She eyed the Caracak as he morphed into human form, his long dark locks falling around his face. "Guinere..." he murmured.

The Faery reached out a hand to him. "Why do you sit so within the faery ring with such a cloud on your face?"

Rufus bowed his head again, his face grieved. "It is almost time," he murmured. "The tyranny of the cities will be destroyed. And yet...I feel an approaching darkness, as if our endeavors were known. Tell my, Guinere, what is to be done?"

The Faery lowered her eyes, staring at the ring of delicate mushrooms, their spotted hides glittering with unearthly jewel-hues. Bending, she picked a bright sapphire and ember colored mushroom. "Take this," she murmured, "as a token. It will protect you and those around you in the trying times ahead. It will ensure some semblance of success. The difficulty of success will be up to you."

Ander made a series of swift clicks and then a printer spat pages at them. Vincent snatched them up and eyed them, his eyes widening greatly. "This...this is..."

Suddenly the lights went out. The only glow came from a flashing green clock that read 12:00...12:00...and then it read 12:01...12:02...faster and faster it counted the numbers until it was a blur. The lights flickered and flashed, wind lashed against the window, pushing rain before it so that it sounded as if they were under gun fire. Ander cursed and stood. "We might have been discovered." The guard blinked as a faint glow began to shine through Vincent's clothing.

The fire man grinned, sparks glittering in his eyes and flames beginning to lick about his eagerly curved fingers. "Let them come," he hissed. "We have the proof we need."

The door began to shake, as if something were trying to force its way in. Heat glowed around the corners and Vincent’s eyes widened as the knob began to shake and smoke. The door burst open, accompanied by someone’s scream of power. A pair of glowing eyes glittered out at him as the smoke cleared.

“No!” Ander breathed.

Myrn jerked violently, screaming with a mixture of horror and rage. Dos grabbed his shoulder. "What is it?" he yelled.

The psychic was yanked to his knees, his eyes wide in pale horror. "No..." he murmured. "They have one too..."

"Have one what, Myrn?" Dos screamed in frustration.

Myrn turned his eyes to the time-sorcerer. "Shar-hudor..." he murmured. "Shar-hudor..."

Dos shook his head. "What is that?"

The psychic turned his head towards the cities. "Vincent!" he exclaimed, and grabbed Dos' wrist, flinging them forward on the wind.

(Sorry I was so late again guys!!! :3 School sure is hectic. Hope you like the cliff hanger!!! ;p)

• 4 weeks later...

Vincent lowered his hands from the blast, peering past the smoke as a tall, thin shape emerged. His eyes widened in surprise and Ander placed a hand on his gun, backing up.

Fire flickered off of his hands, lighting up his body with ghastly shadows. Each inch of skin seemed covered in soot, or feathers, or a mixture of the two. His eyes were coal black, burning within with his inner heat. Hair the color of fire draped down his shoulder, steaming and hissing as if it had a life of its own. Large wings that smoked were spread from his back and a cynical smile twisted across his face.

Vincent stared the man up and down. “What are you?” he hissed.

Ander kept his eyes fixed on the man. “He’s what you are, Vincent.”

Vincent’s eyes widened. “I’m going to look like that?!”

The man stepped forward, leaving soot on the ground and spreading his wings. From behind him an old man cackled. “Ander, I thought you’d be behind this. I am surprised though: such betrayal from you almost caught me off guard. Yes, Vincent, this could be you, if you let the fire consume you. You almost did in the lab not too long ago and then it would have been all too easy to take you.”

Vincent’s mouth opened with understanding. “Then it’s been you this whole time,” he snarled. “And that thing is what’s been making these storms!”

The fire creature stepped forward again, his eyes narrowing. “You do not like them?” he purred. “I find them quite beautiful.”

Vincent threw himself forward but Ander wrapped his hands around his chest, pulling him back. “You killed my daughter you demon!” Vincent screamed, struggling against Ander’s hold. “You killed them all!”

Wind burst through the windows, shattering the glass and dumping Dos and Myrn on the ground near them. Myrn leapt to his feet, his legs shaking with weakness, but his gaze was firm as he glared at the creature. “Shar-hudor,” he snarled. “Fire-demon. What is your name?!”

The Shar-hudor turned to pierce Myrn with his burning gaze, as if testing him. “Name?” he whispered. His wings spread wide, causing ribbons of smoke to curl about his body. “Call me Shriek, if you like. I have no name.”

Dos stepped slowly to stand behind Vincent, his eyes fixed on the old man behind the demon. Myrn did not take his eyes off of it. “Shriek, then,” he said. “What has this decrepit old man promised you for your fire?”

Shriek lifted his hands, and blossoms of red flame sparkled in the light. “Did he need to?” he hissed. “Leave to burn is all I wanted. And it is all I am granted. But,” he stared at the fire in his coal-blackened hands, “it is all I need.” With a shout he threw the fire forward.

Vincent yanked free of Ander and stepped into the blast, pushing his own heat forward. The blistering heat forced Myrn, Dos, Ander, and the old man back out of the way as the two fire-wielders pressed against each other. Dark smoke and red fire spat around their bodies, their arms pressed forward in a battle of wills.

“Fool!” Shriek howled. “You have no power!”

Vincent’s lips were pressed tight in fury and strain. Sweat dripped from his forehead and his eyes were narrowed in concentration. He took a step forward.

Ander glanced behind the Shar-hudor and gasped. The old man was gone. His face darkening in rage, Ander sped through the door after his former master. Dos, with a shout, leapt in pursuit.

Ander clattered down stairs and burst through doors, following the wheezing sound of the old man’s retreat. His gun was in his hand, his hair streaming behind him. As he passed a computer door lock, he slammed his fist on it. Red lights began to flash through the halls and sirens bellowed through speakers. Up ahead he could hear the sound of someone crashing their fists against a door that had shut in the lockdown.

Ander slowed his pace as he came up behind the old man. Dos, just behind the young soldier, watched cautiously.

The old man turned, heaving, his eyes wide with horror. “What are you going to do, Ander?” he whined. “Kill me?”

Ander pointed his gun at the old man. “You’ve bred an abomination and killed thousands,” he said calmly, though his voice shook. “Your greed for power killed the woman I loved and twisted two men into fire containers, one who doesn’t even know his name anymore he’s so choked with fire. I will have no trouble killing you.”

Dos took a step forward, watching the exchange. The horrible old man was sweating now. Dos grinned. “Afraid of death?” he whispered. “Surely not! You’ve killed so many people; you must know how it goes. Perhaps you’ll meet some of those you’re responsible for. I’m sure they’ll be glad to see you.”

Ander cocked the barrel of his gun, his eyes narrowed. He reached up with his other hand and ripped the company emblem from his chest. “There,” he said. “I’m no longer part of this power. It’ll not be treason to kill you. I’m merely an assassin, doing the job I should have years ago.”

Ander pulled the trigger. There was a bang.

"NO!" a harsh voice screamed from the stairwell.

Suddenly the released bullet slowed and stopped inches from the old man's forehead. Escaping death by barely a breath, the old man collapsed in sobbing. Ander looked around, rage filling his eyes.

A young girl was standing in the doorway, her face white and one arm outstretched. Her tiny white wings were drooping at her back, and behind her was a tall man with horns protruding from his brow.

Dos' mouth dropped open. "Laura! Rufus!" he cried out. "How...?"

Rufus grinned. "I finished my business and hurried here with all haste. When you and Myrn did not come back from your journey, I worried. It did not take me long to find you, did it?"

Ander turned to all of them, enraged. "What are you doing?" he growled. "This man deserves to die!"

Rufus nodded. "That he does. But not at your hand. You do not hold the justice for what he has done. That power resided only with the Lady of the Wood. This affront has been against the land and the people of that land. We will let her decide."

Dos strode forward and flipped the man onto his stomach, pressing his boot against his head. "Don't move, slime," he snarled. "Or I'll give you a better taste of that floor!" The old man whimpered as Dos bound his wrists mercilessly.

A crash from above reminded them the reason they were there. Heat made the pipes above them shudder and some of the metal turned bright red. "Vincent!" Dos cried. They raced up the stairs. With one hand, Laura lifted the old man into the air and followed them, her eyes bright as she watched the murderer's every move.

The two Fire-weavers were circling each other, fire steaming from their breath and blazing off of their hands. Myrn stood in the corner, looking on helplessly. A door in the back of the room swung loosely on its hinges, apparently scorched by the battle.

Vincent was grinning with apparent insane anger. "I'll tear you apart!" he snarled. "You'll pay for my daughter's death!"

Shriek cackled. "You can't touch me, old man! You have no power!" He arched back, fire filling his arms and branching from his chest. The sheer quantity of fire building around him made Vincent's eyes widen. He crossed his arms across his body, prepared to block the fireball. But the flames kept growing. Myrn yelled. "He's going to light the whole building up!"

Suddenly something struck the Shar-hudor and Shriek fulfilled his name sake, raising a cacophony of howls as steam erupted from his body. The flames doused and he collapsed to his knees, drenched.

Leaning against the door frame across the room was a punkish young man, piercings in his right eyebrow, tattoos slashing down his face. He held one of his sides weakly, his eyes sparked with rage, and his free hand was outstretched, suspending the water.

For the second time that night Dos' mouth dropped. "Kida!" he cried out. "How did you survive?"

Kida's lips twisted in cynical pain. "Not easily," he said. "I cocooned myself in water until it had stopped, but even then a rusty pole jabbed through and got me." The punk pulled his hand away from his side. It was coated in blood. "Opened it up running here. So what did I miss? This little fire-demon causing issues?" Kida nodded to Vincent. "How're you doing, noob?"

Vincent glanced at his enemy, unsure of how to take this sudden turn of events. Finally he grinned at the likeable character. "I'm glad you're alive, Kida," he said finally. "We never did get to spar."

Kida grinned. "Water beats fire, every time."

The Faery stood in the center of the mushroom circle, watching the old man before her blubber shamelessly. Dislike was etched into her ethereal features, but pity hung on her shoulders. "You have committed unforgivable deeds," she murmured. "And yet you are to be pitied. You have created a monster of nature, you have destroyed lives, you have ruined countless futures. Perhaps the forest can teach you something." She gestured at the trees and four Caracak approached, Rufus at their head. They gripped the man by his arms and dragged him away shrieking, their grips firm but gentle.

The Faery watched them go for a moment before turning to the group before her. "What became of the other fire-weaver?"

Kida, his side bandaged and scabbing nicely, rubbed his head awkwardly. "Well, when I doused him...he kinda...erm, turned to ash and disappeared. I guess he was too much fire to be human any more."

The Faery sighed and shook her head. "Sad. It was not his own doing that made him that way. But now the true villain will be taken care of. It is over."

Vincent turned to Myrn, Dos, Kida, and Laura. "We will make a new home," he said.

Dos grinned. "I know of a place, not far from here."

Laura hugged herself. "Can it be near trees?"

"And a river!" Kida added excitedly.

Myrn grinned, beside himself. "I believe all of this can be arranged."

The End