The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Rp: Storm-Wind

Degorram

(I don't usually do super heros, but I'm in the mood. Let's do this thing! Holy leg-room, Bat Man!)

Rakel stood at the edge of a lake and blew a puff of air through his pursed lips. The cool, summer winds blew against his face, pushing his long, black bangs around his face. A storm was coming. A big one. Already the enormous thunderheads were piling up like black whipped cream in the east. He shivered. Despite the heat of the summer evening, the wind still made him chilly. Wind. Storm wind.

That had been his name once, in a different time, a different world. Storm-wind. He scuffed the ground with his boots and looked at himself in the lake's mirror-like surface. He was pale as a ghost, with sharp grey eyes staring out of their sunken sockets like coals. His hair, short in the back with the spiky bangs hanging down to his jaw, was also charcoal in color. A single black earing hung in his right ear. His nose and ears were small, and his mouth was a mear, colorless line on his face. The black tanktop and pants he wore were baggy: they shivered with the wind, just as he did. The trench coat he wore over them blew out behind him. As the wind changed to blow directly at him, the coat fluttered up behind him. Once again he saw himself with wings.....

The lake became too distorted by the wind and he turned away, walking back up the hill towards the city. He didn't want to go back to his apartment, that bland, colorless abode where he was temporarily dwelling. What he really wanted was to go back to his old life: but that was impossible. He was miles away from that life, and his old friends had been the ones to exile him in the first place. No, he would never be able to go back.

Not unless Spiro also came back, Vincent thought glumly. If that horror ever came back, they'd come running to my door....

The storm hit just a few blocks from the door to his apartment. He pulled the collar of his coat up around his neck, breaking into a sprint as the thunder rumbled around him. He slammed into the door of the complex and rushed up the stairs, shaking water off his shoulders. He sighed, pushed his key into the door, walked in. Before him the single room dark. A bed lay against the wall, and some nice furniture surrounded a little table next to the wall-sized window. The kitchen huddled in a dark corner, the green light of his clock flashing ominously. 12:00......12:00 He flipped the light switch. The power had gone out.

Lightning flashed and a shadow that suddenly appeared next to his window made him jump. The shadow turned and looked at him. "You're needed again, Storm-Wind....."

(hooray for stories that randomly take over your computer. i should have posted this in the conservatory.....)

Edited by Degorram

• 2 weeks later...

“I wish you guys didn’t check things out so thoroughly. It ah… cheapens our relationship. I don’t like feeling so mistrusted.” Richard almost seemed to be pouting.

Okay, I see ‘em

“What makes you think you’re trusted, man?” I don’t know you, how do I know you’re not going to try to slip a few replicas in here?” Joel probably wasn’t using his real name either.

How many?

Joel’s men were busily taking apart, reassembling, and dry firing a collection of assault rifles. One of them aimed into the darkness and fired a burst. Richard winced. “At the very least don’t actually fire all of them? It makes me nervous.” They were in a field in the middle of nowhere, they’d all come a long way in an effort for privacy, but the sound of a gunshot carries a long way at night.

Lots. How’s the resolution now?

“Hey, if you want to get paid you let me check these work.” Joel snapped, “I don’t wanna get burned.” Several more bursts were fired.

Holy Hell, what is this?

“Look, that’s enough.” Richard’s voice was suddenly sharp, “You haven’t found anything out of the ordinary yet, and you’re not going to.”

I don’t know, I just catch bad guys… Think it’ll get ugly?

“Alright, alright, alright,” Richard was made more persuasive by the fact that of the two of them, he had more armed men here. “We’ll just check a couple more and I’ll take your word on the rest.”

Nah, neither of these guys is stupid enough to shoot up the other one. You sure you’ve got this?

“Pay the man!” Joel gave the order before any more guns had actually been test fired.

Two of Joel’s underlings, one of them holding a briefcase, advanced on Richard. There was a moment of confusion, the one holding what presumably contained the money wasn’t sure why the other one was coming with him.

Yeah, I’ve got it

The other man, the one not holding a briefcase moved in a way that seemed unnatural somehow. His head twisted on one direction while he threw something in the opposite direction with one hand. Something bellowed out of his mouth. The gas itself was colourless, but it was a cool evening and a gray haze marked its rapid spread. The grenade he’d thrown dumped a massive volume of the same substance.

The knockout was quick. Most present experienced a few seconds of dizziness that would be followed by coming to in handcuffs and wondering what happened. But even if no one had intended violence here things had been tense, and shots rang out from those who were more prepared.

Bullets tore cleanly through Ilsa. He didn’t offer enough resistance to tumble or break the rounds so they came out the other side trailing a little bit of silver, but made surprisingly small holes and caused no bleeding aside from the bit of silver liquid they carried out with them.

A trick of wind and air currents had left one man standing on either side. Figuring that Richard’s guns would be the more dangerous Ilsa charged toward him first. Both men were too shocked at seeing Ilsa stagger through a hail of bullets and into a charge to immediately react.

Each of Ilsa’s arms lashed out, almost serpent-like, to take the rifle from his foe. He was a strong man with a good grip, but when Ilsa’s hands touched his there was such a powerful sensation of heat and pain that he released the rifle without thinking.

Ilsa tossed the rifle aside and immediately stuck at the man’s throat and face. It wasn’t a very powerful blow, but after a few seconds he started to topple. Just before he fell two bullets struck Ilsa in the back, passed through his torso, and into the man’s stomach.

Fuck, casualty. Medic.

Ilsa spun on the remaining criminal, who put a few more rounds in Ilsa’s chest before making a break for it. Ilsa fell forward as he ran. He caught himself on arms that were suddenly longer and pursued on all fours. A few seconds later he caught up and delivered a slap to the back of the neck that put the man under.

Alright, I’m done here.

Just then a very big, fast bullet struck Ilsa in the gut. It knocked quite a bit of silver out his back.

“Hurk,” Ilsa commented just before another one split away a section of his head and flung him to the ground.

Ilsa, what the hell just happened? We heard a shot and lost signal. Ilsa? Ilsa?… Man down!

Several minutes passed before a joint police and FBI team arrived at the sight of the weapons transaction to find the man that called himself “Ilsa” whole and hale and wearing the face his coworkers knew him by. He was holding his hands against the wounds of the only other person who’d been shot.

“It’s all clear, but I don’t really know how to fix other people.” he advised. “Oh, and I dropped a sniper somewhere over there, but he‘ll be down at least twenty minutes” he indicated with a nod of his head.

One of the armoured officers or agents or whoever they technically were stared at the collection of unconscious criminals for a moment, then radioed it was safe for the medical team to advance.

“Ilsa? Thank god,”

“I don’t know how many times I’m going to have to explain to you I’m bullet proof.” Ilsa responded.

“Yeah, well you know, invincible people working for me takes some getting used to." Ervins, the Special Agent in Charge, quickly shifted back to calm. "You’re the third shape shifter we’ve had, and the first two thought they were invincible, too. Gunshot then suddenly you’re all quiet, gives you a bad feeling, you know?”

“Yeah, sorry about that. The transmitter was in my head, I got half my head blown off, I couldn’t get the encryption working right again.” He stood up and stepped away from the prone form in front of him as the medics arrived, “He’s all yours, guys.”

((I've got no idea what you're intended power level is here, I hope the capabilities shown so far for this character are okay))

Edited by Tamaranis