The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Recipe Book

Quincunx

I put this here instead of Cabaret Room since there'll be a lot of cut-and-paste involved. The last thread of this type that I saw went from Black Forest Chocolate Cake to Beer BBQ Chicken and back.

I've mentioned kladdkaka (Swedish sticky, brownie-like cake) in the shoutbox several times, and now is the time to finally write down a recipe for it.

From "a little green book" via the Internet, remarks in parentheses mine:

Kladdkaka

2 eggs

3 dl sugar

100g butter or margarine (1 dl oil works also)

4 heaped tablespoons cacao

1.5 dl flour

water (recipe says 1.5 teaspoons, I use a dab more)

Mix* the eggs and sugar. Blend in the other ingredients. (With 1.5 teaspoons water, the mixture is thick as tar and will need to be spread into the pan with a spoon; with a dab more water--not much!!!--it will pour into the pan and fill it, and also collapse at the top while baking.) Pour into a greased pan**. Bake for 30 minutes at 175 degrees C. You can eat it as is, melt baking chocolate and pour it over the top as it cools, or serve with a spoonful of whipped cream.

*American cookbooks would say to "cream" the eggs and sugar--to mix them thoroughly, until the mix starts to behave like a liquid.

**20cm diameter pie tin or other small tin.

(When I tried making this with U.S. measures, I used 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of flour, 2/3 cup oil, and U.S. teaspoons and tablespoons. However, my oven setting ((350 degrees)) was plain wrong, and I burnt the kladdkaka. Try using 325 degrees and your senses--the instant you can smell something besides chocolate, pull it out of the oven.)

Brownies...

250g butter (melted but not hot)

2 cups caster sugar

4 eggs

1/2 cup cocoa

2 tsp vanilla

2 1/4 cups choc chips

2/3 cup flour

Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and sifted cocoa together in a bowl, until combined.

Fold in flour and chocolate chips.

I bake these in two 20cm baking tins, about 4 cm deep and it works well. Allow enough room for it to rise, in whatever tin you use.

Bake at 150 deg C (fan bake works well) for 55-60 min, or until there is an even crust. (I baked mine for 50 min) so watch it toward the end.

Cool, then wrap in tinfoil to store.

Only cut these when you gonna eat them or they dry out.

sprinkle with icing sugar to serve, and icecream works well with it too

:raven: