The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

"Divergence" by Zadown

Wyvern

I recently read through this story and really enjoyed it, Zadown. :-) I had almost forgotten about the character of Morchello in the Dreamer saga, and it was refreshing to read a story told mainly from his point of view. Your elaborate layout for the mage academy had plenty of striking details, and it was interesting to see the Dreamer being kind of social for a change. My favorite moment in this story is probably when the Dreamer goes to Morchello's room in the middle of the night just to ask him what it's like to be human, and Morchello's inevitable reaction to the question. I also appreciated the philosophical approach that this story took towards humanity and immortality. :-)

The only thing that I was hoping to see more of in this story was Fionella, as there doesn't seem to be much interaction between her and Morchello, despite the major role that she plays in his life. Something to include in a future story, perhaps? Also, I thought that "colorless" was an odd adjective to describe someone's voice in the fourth post, but that's just kind of nitpicking on my part.

Anyway, once again, good stuff Zadown. :-) I'll continue to play catch-up in typical belated fashion.

Thanks for once again providing some reader's views of my stories, Wyvern - much appriciated. Keeping this particular world detailed is easy as it is an old RPG campaign world I designed over ten years ago.

Fionella might get more spotlight time later on as I have some vague plans involving her and Marchello (not Morchello ;)) and the Dreamer. Can't say anything certain about it though. My fragmented storydriving often only shows faint silhouettes of people, then possibly reintroduces them again later in a much more prominent role. Most of the current important side characters started as mere sketches, one-dimensional personae who only nudged the story to one direction.

"Colorless" was indeed a wrong word. Despite my apparent mastery of the language, I sometimes err and directly translate concepts and words from Finnish that end up having the wrong meaning in English, and this was one of those occassions. "Tuneless" would have been the correct word.