The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Circles v. 3.0

Katzaniel

I want to make another attempt at forming a circle of writing pieces, but here's my idea to make this go more smoothly: No signing up, no due dates, just go. If you're interested, show us by going ahead and posting the piece.

How?

Why, by using already-written pieces. You don't even have to have read the stories/poems/etc that you're using - just find something that has a last sentence/line that inspires you as to the start, and something else with a first sentence/line that inspires you for the ending.

For example, I might pick Peredhil's 4-line poem in Yui's recent birthday thread and Tanucha's first line in Perfect Sell to compose the following:

"From a Polite Ancient Elder Ghost," the letter said. Tanuchan looked it over three times, trying to figure out what it meant. It claimed to be for Salinye... sure. But then why had it appeared from nowhere in the sky above her? Tanny felt the earth energies around her, and nothing seemed to be wrong. Nothing for it then but to deliver the letter. No other way to find out what it meant, anyway.

"What does it mean?" she was asking Salinye later, after having explained what had happened.

"I'm not sure what the concern is," replied Salinye. Obviously it appeared from nowhere because Peredhil has become a ghost. How did you think you could see a ghost? Anyway, I've got a date with Gyrfalcon, so I need to get ready."

Tanny didn't think that was much of an answer, but Salinye seemed very certain. Supressing a groan, Tanny sighed and nodded at her, then left the room.

It's short and doesn't make much sense, but that's because it's just an example. You see how I changed around my last sentence for the sake of the flow? That's okay. And then I would just post it somewhere, either indicating it as a Circle piece or not, as I desired, and then post in here with links to all three pieces.

The circle will work best if, for example, people start using the end of a story that someone left off at. So look first for inspiration among already-posted links. And try not to make the other end of the piece too hard to work from. Also, if you're planning on using something already linked, you may want to post in order to claim it.

If you still want help finding inspiration, you could try something from The Pen Recommends list. Or just search random words. I found Perfect Sell by looking up "roast" - I was attempting a limerick. (Bonus points, by the way, if I were actually giving out points and if you can find two lines with rhyming ends and the same number of syllables to do a limerick or other poem).

Have fun!