The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Carnival 2006

The day started like any other for Inbi. She woke up when the sun's rays managed to navigate their way into the cave in which she was sleeping. Then she went into the forest, caught and prepared some breakfast, and ate in silence. It was only when she made her daily trip into the Pen Keep that she realized how different today was going to be. For there, already setting up their caravans, was Dain and the other carnies.

"Dain! Wow, it's so good to see you! How are you? And... er... where have you been?"

"Wow, Inbi, it's been quite a year. We've been so busy! We love the Pen as much as ever, but we're having such success everywhere we go, that we haven't been able to make it as fast as usual. We haven't reached a consensus yet, but there's a possibility that we're going to change our route schedule permanently, and only go to each place about once a year."

"That's great news for you guys, I guess..." murmured Inbi, unsure what else to say.

"Well, anyway, we're glad to be here again. Much changes around here?"

"A few. Look, we haven't had much time to prepare... mind if we get started, announcing things and setting up our own booths and whatnot? We'll have more time to chat once everything's set up."

"Sure, sure. Go ahead. And then I can introduce you to some of the new carnies we've picked up during our travels."

Once the guildleaders had consulted, they realized that to make this carnival successful, they should encourage members to run their own booths, even more so than in the past. They erected the following sign:

Calling all Pennites! The carnival has arrived. We don't have a lot of Guild events prepared in advance, so we're hoping that everyone can help. If you have an idea, don't hesitate. Just grab an empty booth and begin. Feel free to offer geld prizes... speaking of which, we're offering geld for helping out:

* 30 for starting your own booth

* 10 additional for any more booths you start

* 50 for judging or helping to judge a contest (including one of your own devising)

OOC: If you do start a booth, please PM us with the link so that we can add it to our list of events.

OOC2: Sorry, I promised to do this at least a week ago, and I have to leave... so no time to correct Dain's speech to the way he actually talks. :P Also, expect a booth or two of my own and the beginnings of a list of links as soon as I can get back online.

OOC3: Oh, and we're revolving this roughly around a theme of places/travelling. Booths don't have to have any relation to the theme, but if they do, cool. You will, however, notice changes in the "item" auction to reflect this, and possibly other things too.

See the following post for the current environment of the carnival.

Stories

Poems RP OtherEdited by Gwai to add a booth

22/05 Edited by Patrick

26/05 Katz

27/05 Patrick again

28/05 Mynx

01/06 Gyrfalcon

02/06 Mynx

03/06 Mynx

06/06 Gyrfalcon

07/06 Gyrfalcon

08/06 Gyrfalcon

26/06 Wyvern

7/15/06 Wyvern

(Thanks to those helping keep this list up-to-date)

I'm mentioning this in a new post because I feel that Wyvern's Setting Changing thread deserves special notice. For those that don't have time to read everything in all new threads, (such as myself) you may find the following useful:

This is an important thread to note as the RPing setting for the carnival is set and described within it. Evangeline currently has the environment set to a sheperd-type hilly/fieldy/mountainy setting, described more thoroughly in the thread. This setting will last until the 25th, at which another person can change it if they choose.

The setting has now been changed by Sweetcherrie to dragons, lava, fantasy and fairyworld.

The setting has been changed by Ayshela to heather hills with grazing sheep and cattle.

The setting has been changed by Tzimfemme to a hard rock (music, not material) version of the Astral.

The setting has been permanently changed to a fragmented combination of Evangeline's hilly sheperd setting, Sweetcherrie's middle-easter magma setting, Ayshela's heather hill and cattle setting, and Tzimfemme's hard rock in the Astral setting.

(If/when this changes, other mods should feel perfectly all right with updating this post to reflect the new state of things :P )

Edit: 27/5 Patrick.

Edit: 6/6/6 Wyvern

Edit: 6/21 Wyvern

Edit: 7/13 Wyvern

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Geld totals have been updated with a few exceptions where some small issues need to be sorted out; and the geld from the activity of the last few days, which we shall try adding as it comes along. A *very* big thank you goes out to Wyvern for doing all the updating stuff in the name of all the guildleaders. ^_^

And another thank you to Gyrfalcon and Wyvern for keeping the list of activities up-to-date.

• 1 month later...

Inbi and a large collection of Pennites stood on the edge of the Keep, waving fondly as Dain and the rest of the carnies started their journey away. She had received no promises about his time of return, only that he would return.

As the caravans rolled slowly out of sight, she turned away and sighed. Individual events would still run for a little while, and wrap up however they needed, but the Keep looked much emptier with the majority of the tents taken down. At any rate, they'd be very busy for the next while wrapping up all the loose ends and making sure everything would be ready when the carnival did return. Inbi smiled at everyone, and began to turn away in order to begin doing those things.. but stopped herself. Why? Why not mingle with everyone a bit longer, while everyone was here? She stepped toward Sweetcherrie and struck up a conversation, and soon five, six, ten people were standing around smiling, laughing. Ah yes, thought Inbi. This is the spirit of the Pen that I love so much.

OOC: Carnival end is officially begun. Wrap up what you need, and anything new can either wait until next year or be started as a non-carnival event... which would be great, too!