The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Visit

Regel

The afternoon sunshine was warm against my face as I step out of my van. The hospital parking lot had clipped me for a five dollar flat rate (bastards)! The cold air was still, thank god and so the walk across the large parking lot of the Royal V was pleasant. I had worried about John every day for the past week. He had taken a sharp turn for the worst just six days ago. A serious urinary infection had not responded quickly enough to the antibiotics they had given him. He had gone septic, a term that I knew was extremely serious and often deadly.

The newest and most potent anti biotic was able to break the infection's grip on John's weaken body. The speech the doctor's had given his wife was to prepare her for the worst and when it didn't happen we ( a small group of his closest friends and family) breathed a sigh of relief.

The tension and stress had taken it's toll on her face but when she saw my wife and I she smiled and her features softened. We spent the next six hours visiting. We were brought up to speed on all his treatments small talked and joked around while John eased in and out of the conversation that swirled around him. When his pain allowed him he chatted a bit and we saw glimpses of the gentle humour he always had. I watched a little exchange between John and his nurse. She had come into his room to draw blood soon John had everyone including the nurse smiling. Outside his room I chatted with Colleen

his sister in law. "He's still John." she said with a smile.

This was the last day on this particular course of antibiotics and after today they would be discontinued. I had asked if his infection was gone and they told me that the blood tests would determine that, but regardless the antibiotic stop after today. If the infection returns my friend's rally will end and so will my friend J.D.

We ended the visit well after normal visiting hours and the drive home was a quiet one with very little conversation, both of us were lost in our own thoughts. After a while my wife reached over and touch my hand. "I am glad we came down to see him" she said. I smiled weakly and said "...me too."

• 3 weeks later...