The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Sounding Music

The first time I heard it, it was storming outside. The rain was coming down as though the Lord had once again loosed the windows of heaven, and tres were bowed in prayer to Him, ready to snap at a moments notice. The sky was oddly clear, bright as though He were smiling upon us as His fury was unleashed in mighty waves. I hadn't been expecting it when that sound fluttered to my ears, it was so very soft and jovial, as if it belonged to children who knew only mirth. I realized what it was, and it caught me up in itself. The sky seemed to grow brighter, the rain yet heavier and the gales grew stronger. But that music, it was so soft, so...so innocent. The sky was beginning to speak, His booming voice echoed the air, the empty spaces repeating what He had said. The music had by then been silenced, but still could I hear it. It was bouncing around in the trees, it splashed on the road with a sweet relentless tapping. As I listened to hear some more, the tapping had replaced the innocent song, the children's laughter had been dammed, no longer did it seem to flow. So to the sky I looked, hoping for a sign, but all I saw was His painful eye, starting back at me. He would not blink nor look away, my sight He seemed to take from me. Before I had known, I was looking to where the sweet perpetual tap and splash of his relentless tears did sound. And it came back to me, this time with direction. Ever so slightly upward did I look, angelic and blurred which I did see. Slow and graceful was walking towards me, a song whose music heaven-sent. I could not tear away my eyes, else have ripped them from my face. Heavy yet the downpour came, the trees now bowed with broken backs. His smile grew brighter and His eye yet gazed upon me. The music ever closer came to me, holy unearthly sweet to make water my mouth. The children's laughter was returning singing unto me, I saw her smile. Pale complected nearing me with arms open wide, her song to make my eyes to cry. Down my face the water went, joined by His sweet tears. I listened more to hear her speak, her lovely song so pure and strong. Nearer did she come and sing to me, and He did smile even more. Heaven sent must she have been no less than an angel, to sing a song as she did sing. Never closer then came did she, her song uplifting to remind me of His love, and what that I should do. Then next the tingling of mine fingers told me who she was, and why she had. The rain came down even more, the trees they now did leave. The sky was clear and bright, and His eye was watching all. Was not the last that she did come, her face it never changed. Always pale and sent from heaven, worthy of her holy position. Oft with wings yet oft without, at times blood bathing and others in samite. Yet never does her face change any, always smiling watching me. I thank Him when she does come, and wish for her more often. But today she came in a rain of tears, and blinding love with furious wrath and soaked drenched to the bone, her smile has never shone brighter. Times like this do make me glad that it is He who chose my Muse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the title says, inspired by the weather right outside, who was this Muse today. As it was raining, the wind blew much, and the sky was oddly clear. I did hear music, and I can still hear it, though it no longer is playing. Please, let me know what you think of this. I enjoyed writing it, and I want to know that you did reading it.

Edited by Xaious, Master of Time

I thought this was a pretty nice vignette, Xaious. The religious approach to observing the weather was interesting, and the style of writing reminded me of romantic prose in a way. I noticed that the tone and language of the piece seem to become more biblical and archaic as the piece progressed, which I found quite interesting.

In terms of potential things to improve: I long to get a sense of the sound of the "soft" and "innocent" music that the narrator hears. I heard the tapping of the rain that interrupted the music, but never got a sense of what kind of sound filled the narrator with such passion. Similarly, I'd love to see more details of the angel's appearence, though she was much better described than the music.

Nice piece, overall.