The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Summer Carnival is in Town

Katzaniel

The weather around the Pen Keep had been horrible for days. Rain was pouring down in a torrent, and the grounds were growing more and more muddy. Members were making their way about their business slowly, and depression was seeping into the general mood. Some were able to use magic to temporarily aid themselves and friends, but no one was willing or able to work such widespread wonder as an extended weather fix.

Mynx, who had replaced Ayshela in the StoryWeaver's Guild, was talking to Inbi Infusco, who was holding Katzaniel's spot until she got back from her mission with the Alliance of Vagabonds and Vanguards. They were inside, away from the rain, but wind and chilly damp were such that Inbi needed her fire-magic to keep them comfortable.

"They will help to lighten the mood, that's for certain," Inbi was saying. "But where to put them up? The rain is everywhere."

Mynx pondered. "Surely some sort of large tent can be made, to keep the rain off. Fire can help with the cold. What else can we do?"

Inbi sighed. "I could probably do that, but... I don't know. I just wish it could be nicer. It's going to be hard enough, running a carnival with four new guildleaders, without having to worry about weather."

"That's it! Gryphon! Have you spoken with him?"

"Gryphon? Not about this, no. Why?"

"Gryphon might be able to do something," Mynx purred, suddenly mysterious. "You set up a tent, okay? About enough to house a few booths and some space in front. I'll talk to Gryphon and see what we can't do." She was already getting on her raincoat and shoes, and in a moment was out the door.

Inbi shrugged, then set off to find some canvas and some helpers.

------

The next day, Inbi was putting the finishing touches on a large canvas covering like Mynx had described. She had dismissed most of those who had helped, by now, and was just tying a knot at the edge of the tent.

In a moment, Finnius was by her side. "That's their music," he said. "Are we ready? They're here." Inbi listened, and indeed, the music of the carnival caravans was faint in the distance. "Nearly," she replied. "At least I am. Where's Mynx?"

"It's gonna be great," Finnius grinned. "Mynx and Gryphon really have it worked out." Before she could ask him more, the little blue man had rushed off.

Finally, all the guildleaders were gathered under the canvas, and the caravans pulled up. "This mud's a been terrible," Dain said as he stepped out. "But we made it." He grinned, then looked around more closely. "This area's not big enough," he started, worried.

"Just leave that all to us," Mynx interjected. Then she started directing the carnies. She got them to set up a small caravan just in front of the fire, and a booth on either side. One of the booths was facing the outer edge of the tent, away from the fire and the caravan.

Then Gryphon stepped up. Using his magic, he created a portal. Finnius grinned. "I've seen where it goes," he whispered to Inbi. "This is going to be the best Carnival yet."

Into the portal went the remaining caravans, still laden. Mynx stayed behind to set up a sign, but everyone else went in. It was a beautiful beach setting, the sand smooth and warm. The water was a wonderful shade of blue, stretching as far as the eye could see. Shells and starfish lined the shore. Further from the beach was green grass, perfect for sports and games. And the sun was shining brightly, not a raindrop in sight.

"This is great," breathed Inbi to Gryphon.

"Thanks," he replied, surveying the area. "I'm glad we found a world that has everything we need. Oh, and when this is all set up, will you help us set up another portal? I've got a world that's always dark, perfect for a campfire... you do remember what you learned about making your magic last?"

"Oh, so that it won't need fuel or anything? What a neat idea! Of course I'll help with that."

Dain's helpers were already setting everything up on the grass, some booths facing the beach, some facing the grassy area. Some were filled with food, or games of chance. Many were left empty for entrepeneurial Pennites.

"I only rec'nize one a ya," Dain said, turning to Finnius. "Been many changes, hey?"

"Yeah," Finnius admitted. "This is my new co-guildleader, Mira. Gryphon, the one who made the portal, is now running the AVV along with Sweetcherrie. Ayshela became an Elder, and has been replaced by Mynx, who is helped by Inbi, in Katzaniel's absence. And that's Nyyark, our Event Coordinator."

Dain nodded. "Well, lotsa changes. Looks good though. Gonna be a great festival this year."

Edited by Katzaniel

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The carnival had been a long one, and the process of closing down had been slow. The Pen had been the last stop for the carnies this summer, so they each took down when they felt that their activity had worn thin, or that they wanted to be home with their families, and they travelled home in small groups. Dain, as usual, was the last to leave. The carnival had been basically over for many days, but the guildleaders generally considered Dain's leaving as marking the official ending, and so they now felt a little sad.

"Been some fun," commiserated Dain as he stood outside his packed caravan. "We'll all miss y'all."

Sweetcherrie nodded, and shook his hand. Mynx hugged him. They all said goodbye in their own ways, and then the last official remnant of the festival got into his caravan and drove off.