The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Cambronne's last adventure

It was a beautiful summer day. That day, I ventured into a petshop, looking for a would be companion for Carbone. Alone in its cage, an adorable black cat was staring at me, wanting to find someone to love and to cherish him. This is how this little fellow, that I called Cambronne entered in my life.

As the years passed, his mischiefs filled with torned apart toilet paper rolls, bugging the hell out of Carbone and chewing any paper sheet he could find made me smile as much as his devoted affection that he showed to me by meowing to me and by rubbing his sides on me. His clockwork habits such as the way he waited for me to get out of my bedroom, as the way he accompagnied me in the bathroom, the way he loved touching the still water in his bowl or prowling in the dampened bath tub after each shower are all heartwarming memories.

Memories indeed, because during these last days, Cambronne's health declined rapidly and severly. On that very last morning of his life, the one who was the king of his little world forced his way into the master bedroom, room he wasn't normally allowed to. I've called the vetenarian and managed to get an early appointement so they can check on his health. After putting Cambronne in his transport cage, Styler and I rushed to the vetenarian's office.

Once there, the lady welcomed us and exams the poor little creature on the stainless steel counter. Suddenly, her face darkens and she annonced the dreaded verdict: Cambronne is doomed to die. While both Styler and I had hoped that it was something curable, the annoucement crushed our heart and we both started to cry. The vetenarian told us that his kidneys were ill and it was a matter of time that they'll stop to work and while humans have access to treatments and kidney transplants, there was no such things for pets. She leaves us alone for a moment and told us she'll be back in order to see what we'll decide to do with him.

I cried so hard an looked at him. I know that I have the ghastly responsability to decide whether I shall ask the vetenarian to put Cambronne in his final sleep or not. I grab and hug Cambronne for a moment, gave him a kiss in his forhead and laid him down back on examination counter. Then, I thanked him for being the good cat he was and for all the happy moments he gave to Styler and I. The decision was taken: Cambronne suffered enough and he showed us that he was ready to go when he visited our bedroom earlier this morning.

When the lady came back, I've told her that I wanted to put an end to Cambronne's pain. She nodded with empathy and told me that she'll prepare the documents regarding the procedure. Styler told me that I took a very courageous decision while I cried more, staring at poor Cambronne. Even in sickness, Cambronne kept that proud gaze that was his since forever. The vetenarian came back with the autorisation form. All I was able to read on it was Cambronne's name and mine. I gather my strenght and courage and sign with a heavy heart. I then ask her to start the procedure because I couldn't bear to see my cat suffering anymore.

After a moment, she came back with her assistant and ask me if I wanted to stay for the procedure. I accepted, because my gut instincts told me that Cambronne wants me to stay with him. She told me that even thought I choose to watch the euthanasia, I could leave the room anytime I wish too. After she shaved his right front paw, the vetenarian inserted the butterfly needle in his vein while her assistant holds Cambronne in place. The brave cat never whined during the procedure. As she was injecting the lethal liquid in Cambronne's vein, the spark of life in his eyes vanished. After the vetenarian grabs her stetoscope and checks his heart, the terrible truth hit hard on me: Cambronne was gone.

The vetenarian told us that we could stay as long as we wish while both her and the assistant leaves. Styler and I cried as we stared at Cambronne's lifeless body. Then, I decided to hug what was left of this adorable bundle of fluff one last time only to feel its emptyness. I've gently putted the fragile body back on the steel counter and we silently glances at it. I ask Styler to go find the vetenarian as I wanted to enquired about the following procedures. The kind vetenarian came back and told us that they'll send in over a crematorium that respects the animals and that we could ask for Cambronne's ashes if we want to. I didn't want to as seeing his lifeless body was already wrecking my feelings, the thoughts of having his ashes just messed me up even further.

We stayed another minute with Cambronne's remains and I decided that it was time for me to leave as I couldn't take it anymore. I turned my attention to the cage and I secured its door within its two locks. CLANG! CLANG! Each noise pinched my heart a bit further. As I take the now empty cage and left the room with Styler, I glanced at Cambronne's body for one last time and walked out from the examination room.

Styler hugged me and pays the fees while I was staring in the void, trying to pull myself together in front of the other clients. After we thanked the vet for her kindness and professionalism we both left the vetenarian clinic.

And it was a beautiful summer day...