The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

"The Joy of Teaching" by Epinephrine

Wyvern

Epinephrine,

I'm enjoying your story "The Joy of Teaching" so far, and think that basing it on real life has resulted in a very realistic and engaging work. I find the conflict of epinephrine in the story particularly intriguing, as Loren offers an interesting alternative to his generalization of students that may end up evoking a change in his attitudes. I look forward to seeing more interactions between epinephrine and Loren, and am intrigued as to where the interactions will lead their characters in the story. I also found epinephrine's emotions very well-developed in the piece, and thought that your uses of interiority worked well for the most part. The story seems very mature in it's themes and ambitions. :-)

For this reason, the one thing that seems oddly out of place to me in this story is the fantasy setting. Given the excellent realism that courses through the story's interactions and emotions, I feel like the piece might actually work better as a piece of literary fiction than as a fantasy story. The fantasy elements in it currently strike me as unnecessary tag-ons that add ambivalence to the otherwise realistic elements of the story, and I actually think the story might work better in a realistic modern setting.

Anyway, very good stuff. :-) I'm looking forward to more.

Thank you for this comment, it is most useful. I agree the fantasy setting is a little out of place, but in choosing to use epinephrine as the lead character I guess I had that choice made for me. In hindsight (oh such a useful and yet annoying thing :) ) I think I would have created another character to base it on. But I will persist.

The character Loren is also based on a RL person I know so hopefully the emotion and interaction will also carry the same element of realism. I hope you like it as I continue to add more.

Once again thanks fior the feedback. Keep it coming!

Epinephrine

As a matter of fact, I rather enjoy the mix of fantasy and realism. It is intriguing to compare the fantasy setting you describe to the world we live in, and look for possible explanations of all the fantasy references in a real-world setting.

If you know what I mean? :blink:

I totally do understand :D .

I am trying to draw on my RL and fit them into a fantasy setting. There are a surprising number of ways that it is possible to integrate the two. Have fun spotting all the times I have had to replace a RL thing with a fantasy one eg. books become scrolls or parchments, and my school has become the university....

epinephrine

Having been following the story with interest, I'd just like to note that the teaching / fantasy mix is not so out of place as it could be.

Even should we ignore the strong story of teaching in a magical environment created in Harry Potter by J K Rowling, the concept of loremasters gathering to teach their magical knowledge to students isn't unknown in fiction.

Being a bit of a massive fantasy fan, I'll admit to being intensely happy with the setting... but then maybe I'm just another addict who's addiction is being played to. ;)

Just my two cents. Keep the story rolling!