The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

From a jungle ruin...

Gryphon

In an ancient ruin, long since fallen into disrepair and much reclaimed by the forest silence rules. Occationally birdsong rings out through the air, announcing the existance of native birdlife. Sometimes the flicker of brightly coloured wings betrays avian watchers, however for the moment all is still.

The silence is shattered suddenly by a loud thud and a stream of quiet curses as Gryphon expresses his dislike of think undergrowth and the way it hides tree roots, branches, large rocks, attack squirells, holes and (on rare occations) acidic slime moulds... all of which seem to go out of their way to trip up or attack (or both) innocent travellers and treasure hunters.

The voice doing the cursing then goes on to describe what it feels about ancient forests, especially when the canopy is so thick that a self respecting winged creature is unable to fly directly into his destination. All these observations are punctuated by the sounds of Gryphon tripping over things disguised by the thick undergrowth that had grown up to surround the ancient ruins since they were abandoned by their owners an age ago.

Emerging from the forest into the ruins Gryphon is a sorry sight to behold looking the worse for wear and he sighs noting that there are no more plantlife obstructions to slow him down. "Yes! out of that damned forest at last... I wonder how rangers ever manage to get from one place to another? One would think that they'd spend their entire lives trapped by the undergrowth through which they travel!"

Casting about and with purpose in his step Gryphon sets off into the ruins, twisting and turning through ruined walkways, ceilings open to the sky. Minutes later he emerges into an open courtyard. Once it must have looked fantastic, but now the sad ruins of tiles and flaking of paint has destroyed the pattern that decorated the floor and walls.

Gryphon surveys the ruin with a sad look in his eyes. "No wonder I couldn't 'port in. There's nothing left to give a good enough representation of what once was!" He looks up and his eyes catch a glimpse of sky through the branches of the massive trees that otherwise hide the ruins from the skys above. With a sigh and another shake of his head Gryphon heads off through a small side arch to the courtyard and follows a dusky passage for a minute before emerging into a small room that is mostly intact. In one corner there is evidence that something has made this it's lair, but it's scent has faded telling the winged mage that what ever it is currently is not at home.

Turning to the opposite corner of the room Gryphon touches several random points on the wall frowning when nothing happens. Less gently he repeats the action and there is a low griding sound to be heard as a small section of flooring moves slightly downward then sticks in place. Walking over to the depression in the floor Gryphon stomps heavily on it several times, each causing slightly more movement downward until with a click the whole section of flooring slides sideways and out of the way.

Reaching into the hole created Gryphon feels around until he locates what he came for. Then placing the object in a pouch around his neck he touches several more points on the wall and the stone floor moves slowly, and with much protest, back to disguise the opening that was there moments before.

Gryphon emerges from the room into the courtyard once more and extends his mage sences, pleased to note that the current of air energy that was nearby so many years before had actually strengthened. Ruined the building might be, but the magical health of the area was excellent. Tapping into the power Gryphon makes it his own and draws upon it, weaving a web of light and air energy around a nearby doorway. The stones themselves take on a faint shimmer as they resonate to the power being invested in them until with a flash the web alters in nature and the scene reflected is that of Gryphon's rooms in the Pen Keep.

Moving quickly so as not to waste magical energy Gryphon steps across the portal and then dismisses it, letting the energys that remain whisp away back to where they came from.

Briefly Gryphon sags, before recovering some of the energy lost from the local power lines, then drawing himself up he sets off to search for his friend Yan Yan Ganaffi.

~~~

Gryphon catches Yan Yan Ganaffi looking a bit worse for wear just after presenting his secret Valentine Wrenwind with her gift. His armour is in good repair but he looks a bit tired and somewhat dead on his feet.

"Yan Yan! I'm so glad I caught you... I got you a little something as your secret valentine, I thought you might be able to make use of it when you go scouting or hunting..."

Gryphon reaches into his pouch and holds out to Yan Yan a piece of ... nothing!

With a puzzled look on his face but willing to humour his friend Yan Yan reaches out and 'pretends' to take the nothing from Gryphon's claws, when to his surprise he feels the shape of a ring in his hand!

"It's a chameleon ring." Gryphon explains, "It won't keep you hidden when you're in plain sight though it might make you a little less noticeable, however if you're hiding or otherwise practicing stealth, as I'm sure your rank as Chief Scout occationally make it necessary for you to do so, it'll increase your natural ability to hide so much so that you'll be very difficult to spot."

Gryphon grins at Yan Yan, pleased to have presented him with what he believes will be an entirely useful gift.

"I have to go now, I'm late for Zariah's ball, but I'll catch you later. I hope you enjoy your gift."

With that Gryphon races off to get ready for the Valentines ball being hosted by Zariah.