The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Application From Music Evangelist

A young man moves silently up to Wyvern’s office door. He is dressed primarily in black, wearing what looks like a cassock. On closer inspection the cassock reveals its patterns of musical staves and notes replete with time signatures. One could almost play the score written into this man’s clothing. The distinctive white earplugs of an iPod can be seen in his ears. The faint strains of his music waft through the air. This man is the Music Evangelist, Earth’s foremost expert on and purveyor of fine music.

The Evangelist knocks on the wood of the door and waits patiently. The door pushes in at the touch of his hand. He peers into the office, glancing around and sees piles of paper everywhere along with another applicant. The man waiting inside appears to be a chemist as there are masses of strange vials with oddly coloured liquids in them. Music Evangelist calmly introduces himself and determines the strangers name to be epinephrine, a name which sounds vaguely familiar from Music’s school classes over a decade ago.

“What does that name mean?” he enquires.

“Adrenaline” is the response.

“Ah yes, now I remember. I know a song called Adrenaline by Rosetta Stone and there is also a band called Audio Adrenal…sorry I have a habit of rambling about music. Didn’t mean to bore you. Are you here to apply for a position as well?”

“Yes, I have been waiting for a while.”

“That doesn’t bother me; I have got nothing else to do at the moment. What is with the chemistry set?”

“I am an alchemist, a brewer of fine potions and elixirs.”

“Sounds like fun!”

Our musical priest walks to the desk and places his application form in the overflowing in tray.

“Pretty popular this place?”

“Seems to be, have a seat and wait with me,” replies Epinephrine.

“I think I will. Have I told you my story? No? Then I shall. I am a young man who takes comfort in music, I allow myself to get lost in the myriad wonders it shows. I am always on the lookout for new musical experiences to expand my horizons and give better advice. I am employed by the wealthy to aid them in crafting the perfect music collection, carefully moulding it into an object of beauty. The artistry of collecting is as important as the artistry of the music itself.”

He pauses for the moment and takes a drink from a pewter hip flask that almost magically appears from under the cassock. As he sips the sound of ethereal music fills the air, instilling everyone who hears it with joy and wonder.

“That, my friend, is the music of the Gods. In addition to my worldly role, I must save the souls of people through the divinity of music, thus the Evangelist part of my name. I hail originally from a small town in the North Island of New Zealand. Gradually as time progressed, our small town was swallowed up by the larger town of Auckland. I have spent my entire life living here, only venturing out to create national and international music buzz.”

Music Evangelist sits down next to Epinephrine and decides to wait for Wyvern to return.

OOC: I have trouble writing longer passages. I mainly write poetry. I thought I would try this and hope to be accepted. Any and all criticism of style is welcome and needed. PM me first and let me know what you think.

Noticing a strange pulsing coming from the man sitting next to him, epinephrine gently nugdes his neighbour and asks

You applying too? Here have some of this, it will calm your spirits, not to mention knock you for six. Its a "covert death", a potent potion taught to me by an old alcoholic I once met at the edge of the Earth. Enjoy.

Epinephrine intorduces Mynx and the three of them strike up converstaion as they wait for the Recruiter to return.

"This potion you call covert death has inspired some creativity in me. I must put this to paper"

From the voluminous folds of his cassock The Music Evangelist pulls out a sheet of manuscript paper and a fountain pen and begins to write:

The thoughts and deeds of yesterday echo in my head

Rebounding against each other creating more

The voices of the past haunting my every move

Destroying all hope within me

Disturbing memories of days long passed

The sins and curses of my younger days

To forget them a pleasure long sought

Elements of hope twinkle then fade

"That is a strong potion sir. I now must sit again to regain my balance.'

Gently sweeping his robes beneath him, The Evangelist sits again and waits for the Recruiter.

Edited by musicevangelist

*The Raven eyes the potion with interest*

:raven:

*slowly and cautiously shuffles closer to it*

*in a flutter of wings the Raven has the container of potion in his beak and in on one of the rafters in the roof.*

From above the applicants and visitors, a soft lapping sound is heard, shortly before a crisp voice (much like a cheese grater on concrete) drifts down to their ears, "Ok, this would go well with coke."

Mynx watches the raven with amusement glinting in her eyes.

Finally, she waves her paw and conjures a bottle of coke, clear from the scent that it has been mixed with bourbon.

"Wanna try a *coughs gently* coke?"

She awaits the bird's answer with an evil gleam in her eyes.

[Mynx watches in dismay as musicevangelist takes a long swig from the bottle and quietly begins to wonder if she shouldn't make an exit very soon...]

Coughing slightly, she puts on a widely fake smile and grins at the raven.

"so, you gonna drink?"

The raven looks at the bottle, tilts his head, and in a fit of laughter falls off the rafter.

"Hey, you really think that trick is gonna work on me twice in one lifetime?"

The raven perches on the feline's shoulder. "I dont drink pepsi! And dont polute even an empty coke bottle with it, that is just plain wrong!"

Having been recently accepted epinephrine is in an excellent mood. He mixes another covert death for the music evangelist and a coke on the rocks for the raven. Finally he walks up to the desk and slips a note onto it, holding it down with a strange ornate flask.

"Don't Touch!" he says to the others. "A special delivery for the Wyvern in celebration of him accepting my application"

The note reads: "Stir three times clockwise with a gryphon feather to turn this potion into a small pile of geld. For use in emergencies only"

Smiling at the others he dissapears from the room to continue exploring the hallways of the pen.

Grinning at the new Initiate as he merrily leaves the cluttered office, Mynx returns her attention to the raven on her shoulder, attempting and failing miserably to act innocent.

"Whaaat?"

Seeing the raven's stare, she finally breaks the facade and grins

"Okay, sorry, thought it was worth a shot"

Waving a paw, she removes the glamour on the bottle, returning it to its original form of Pepsi. Tossing it in a corner, it is promptly colelcted by a group of kitten minions, who race off to destroy the evil fluid.

"Mynx, I think there may be some trouble for letting me drink pepsi. It doesn't react well with me."

Music Evangelist congratulates Epinephrine, sits back sipping on his Covert Death, listening to the divine music and waits patiently for Wyvern.

Edited by musicevangelist

A sluggish melody echoes throughout the Recruiter's Office as musicevangelist lets out a dismal sigh, turning his attention towards the grandfather clock that rests in the corner of the room and silently watching as the minutes go by. The applicant was feeling kind of blue in his wait, as Wyverns lack of respect for applicant waiting times caused him to question his commitment as an Elder. Shifting uneasily in his seat, he decides to cue up another tune to pass the time, only to be interrupted as the front door of the Office suddenly slams open with a cacophonous bang.

Musicevangelist jumps back as Wyvern soars into the room like a bat out of hell, crash landing a few feet away from an applicant easychair and going still in a mangled heap of scales and metal. Wincing at the overgrown lizards painful-looking landing, the eager applicant attempts to untangle him and help him to his feet, only to pause as he notices the reptilian Elder's attire. The lizard was dressed in a cassock with musical notes written on it similar to that of musicevangelist, only his almost dragonic scrawl caused the notes to look more like codes from aliens inhabiting the dark side of the moon than music. Raising a brow at the lizard, the applicant takes two steps back as Wyvern regains his composure and apologetically hisses:

"Sssorry about my long absence and abrupt entrance, Mr. Evangelist. I would explain myself, but it's a rather long story involving pittances, armpits, orchestra pits, pitiable sounds, and pit bulls... not to mention music hall security guards that once played roles as professional baseball pitchers. Yeesh, I wish they could have just dragged me in..."

Grumbling and casting a glance towards the now-empty hallway outside of the door, Wyvern immediately picks up musicevangelist's application and carefully begins reading it over. Once he's finished with the story, the lizard grins a discomforting grin of razor sharp teeth and hisses:

"A very good story, musicevangelist. Your background is touched upon well, though it's not exactly a suspenseful thriller... then again, the parts about Aukland taking over did leave me trembling."

Musicevangelist stares at Wyvern blankly, silently fidgeting.

"I'll certainly accept it." hisses Wyvern while reaching for one of the metal instruments he had previously been tangled in. "But first, I'd like to offer you to take a walk on the wild side with Almost Dragonic Brand Alternative Musical Instruments™. Take this wonderful item for instance."

Wyvern hands musicevangelist what appears to be a metal rod with strings attached to it. The applicant takes the instrument and examines it for a moment, then mutters in a confused tone:

"I don't get it... it looks sort of like a harpsichord, but I honestly don't see anyone playing music with this. The strings are far too sharp."

"That's because it's a Harpysickord." hisses Wyvern gleefully. "You can use its strings to cut an unworthy foe into tender cutlets, and the bottom of it acts as a salt shaker for when you're ready to dine! It also played a major role in the film Gone with the Finn... I think it would look great with your outfit if you painted it black, and it only costs two hundr-"

"Errr, that's alright." interrupts musicevangelist, glancing at Wyverns "musical instrument" nervously. "I don't think I'll be needing any Almost Dragonic Brand Alternative Musical Instruments™ today, though I'm sure the Harpysickord produces some very provocative howls of pain."

Wyvern sighs as he takes back the Harpysickord, and decides not to advertise the Vladolin or the Ciodenthysizer as he stamps musicevangelists application ACCEPTED.

;-)

OOC: An ACCEPTED application, musicevangelist, welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) My apologies for the long wait, I've been very busy lately outside of the Pen and haven't been able to post in quite as timely a manner as I'd like. I look forward to reading more of your writing, as well as participating with you in community projects. Expect Wyvern to add musicevangelists divine music to future schemes. ;-) Once again, welcome!