The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A vision

Gryphon

From a distance the sprawling Pen Keep appears at peace, calm, it’s citizens existing from day to day, strolling the grounds, listening to their muses (or being threatened by their muses in Salinye’s case) and creating works of wonder for the world to see. Occasionally shouts of outrage arise as another almost draconic scheme goes awry, but otherwise all is quiet on the Pennish front.

Sitting high atop the tallest spire of the Mighty Pen, Gryphon sits absorbing the peace and thinking deep thoughts. Casting his mind forth he contemplates the nature of his existence, and meditates on a strange connection he has felt of late… Some kind of elusive impression that his fate is somehow linked to one of another world. The picture in his minds eye becomes clearer and in curiosity the winged mage casts an augury to the wind seeking to know more of this other being, yet expecting little.

To his surprise an image comes to mind, so clear that it felt almost possible to reach out and touch. A human male sitting at a desk, apparently intent on looking at a small rectangular picture frame suspended on the desk in front of him. In the image the male is manipulating words that appear magically on the picture by tapping on a flat board with keys set into it.

Puzzling over the meaning of this image the Mage, known to some as Skydancer is suddenly overcome with a sense of impending change, the knowledge that for the young man in his vision some major changes are going to happen in his life before the next month is out.

As quickly as it came, the image is lost and Gryphon Skydancer once more sits contemplating the grounds around The Mighty Pen as he senses a shift in the air currents and knows that as happens in life, the winds of change blow once more.

In the pre-dawn light a young man walks, lost in thought, his jacket wrapped tightly around him in an attempt to keep warm.

In his mind echos snippets of information, thoughts, feelings, images... all idle amusements to a bored mind that has awakened too early just to get to the bus stop on time.

One image in particular is particularly vivid, reoccuring whenever his mind wants to escape the most. A gryphon, not the image of the heraldic beast, but instead a living breathing entity of grace, beauty and power.

Today the gryphon sits high atop a tower in an unfamiliar environment, surveying the world around.

The walker continues towards his destination, his mind lost in contemplation and flights of fantasy and as he does so the gryphon of his mind takes flight and the image is lost.

Shortly thereafter the young man reaches his destination and begins the wait for a bus, now contemplating the alterations to feature in his life over the next month or so... all thoughts of the flying gryphon slip away and are temporarily forgotten.

Forgive my ramblings here if they bore or fail to interest you... In slightly over a month I'm going to be moving into a flat of my own and for the first time in my life be totally responsible for my own living space.

I'm currently unsure how I view this development.

On the grand scale it is the achivement of a long term goal that I have been moving towards for some time, yet at the same time I'm typically not one to leap before I look - to the point where I sometimes procrastinate well beyond the time when I should be acting...

So now that things are solidly in motion and I cannot abort my move, and while it's too far away for me to actually be excited that it's happening I'm left feeling somewhat introspective when I'm not worrying that I've not planned for something that is going to cause a major setback.

Whilst this is going on in my brain I produce snippets of stories, random ideas and little bits of what I try to pass off as poetry. To be honest I dont really believe that it's gifted prose of any sort, but then I'm of the view that very little to none of what I produce falls into the gifted category so in the mean time I'll just keep posting blurbs here and thank you for your patience.

Don your invincible armour of ignorance and rush headlong, blindfolded into the great unknown, Grasshopper. For it is the human way.

People rush into things without properly thinking them through all the time, man. As long as you know you won't be strapped for cash every day but payday, you can't be making the wrong decision.

Hell, even then, why sit around, contemplating what ifs? They waste too much goddamn time

I think unless I screw up badly I should have somewhere between $2 and $50 available to the coffers at the end of every pay period...

Unless I'm unfortunate enough to need to go to the doctor, or get my car fixed.. or something else that you cant really plan for.

Besides, I already rushed on forth... I'm signed up so to speak, cant back out of it... I'm just allowing myself the 'luxury' of contemplating and considering and all now that it's too late to actually change my mind ;)

*Hugs Gryphon*

Hamlet questioned his actions but never made them.

You have made your actions but are now questioning them.

Maybe the name isn't quite as fitting as I thought...Hmm...

Letham?

:D

Edited by Mynx

I expect that if you had the vision and then acted to bring that vision into life as a reality - then ate it - that it'd count as a vision.

Now if you did it the other way around, baked the pie and then ate it... and then tried to call it a vision I'd have to say it was a memory, rather than a vision.

Visions tend to be things that have not happened yet, or something similar. Just my point of view anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time warps in on its self, trapping a figure in it's midst, like a fly trapped in a strange grey amber. Spinning it takes him, altering his life yet again, shifting and turning, undoing that which he knew to be reality and imposing a whole new scheme of things in its wake...

The young man stares at his cell phone, bemused by the words displayed on it... "But, I wasn't going to be moving in until the 26th!" he says, "The 6th is barely 2 weeks away!".

Later in musing back on past words said he'll remember complaining that the change wasn't coming fast enough for him to be excited about now it seems in some strange way, for some unknown reason time has in this instance decided to humour him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by Gryphon