The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

My humble request for acceptance

The raven lands upon the window ledge of the recruiters office, and in the ever quizzical inspection of birds everywhere, looks into the rather cluttered, and dimly lit room beyond the dirtstained glass of the window.

Looking around it sees that the office is unoccupied, and that entry would be, difficult.

Gracefully the raven takes to the air, appearing to move in slow motion, and as flight is achieved, a shadow drops to the grown forming a suspended void under the slow beating wings. the void fills out in size and shape, and as it slowly solidifies, a human figure cloaked in dark blue, stands before the door.

The figure removes the hood, and casts the cape off his shoulders, revealing a figure of average height, clothed in denim, under the folds of a hooded cape, that is now draped casually over one shoulder.

The stranger is bald, shaved clean, and with shaped eyebrows, resting softly over the deep, expressive eyes of dark brown. He places a hand into the inside pocket of his jacket, and withdraws a letter. Written in black ink, shinning with the stars of silver dust, that were blended with the ink before use.

The letter, for the good of all who wish to know is written below.

Dear Wyvern,

It has been told to me that I should seek your judgement on the case of my application for entry, in a more permanent state, to the Castle of the Mighty Pen.

I hesitated, to decide how best to approach this task, and have decided to do so in my true form, rather than the feathered form of my hidden self.

I shall accompany this letter as my true self, to allow full and true judgement on your part.

The following is an example of my faint talent, I hope that it shines enough for you to allow it to brighten a small corner of the Pen.

yours Patiently,

Cryptomancer.

:raven:

Upon my fireside camp I sit and consider

All the dressed images I can conjure

To plead my case to the might of the Almost Dragon.

I come to no swift conclusion,

For in my mind, I crave seclusion,

And only just admit the possible perfecting of my skill.

I seek no grandure, not accolades extreme.

I seek no praise nor acknowledgement.

I wish only that my words be seen

In my life many paths I tread,

Upon the paths, there is fear and

Though it is seen, I walk through it without dread.

For it is a gift I have, to own perception

To see beauty where others see deception

To love the world as all it is.

Good or ill, evil, darkness

Or the light of love and beauty's brightness.

All I see I aspire to write

For beauty is my inspiration,

And upon her lovers embrace I live

And choose to share the love she gives.

My thanks for the consideration, I await patiently you return.

With this the Bald stranger draws a pattern on the ground outside the door, and as it forms into a comfortable looking chair, seats himself to await the return of the Almost Dragon.

Edited by cryptomancer

As he waits, the Cryptomancer traces a symbol on the air beside the earthen chair that holds his relaxed pose. The symbol transforms slowly, expanding to from a side table, complete with coffee machine, cups, and a small jar of biscotti.

As the machine draws a restreto shot, Cryptomancer produces a small silver wand, and a satin covered book, opens the book about midway through, and begins to write, the wand trailing a shimmering black ink, flecked with silver, onto the page. The smell of fresh coffee starts to permeate the air around the recruiters office, Cryptomancer inhales deeply, while enjoying his third espresso.

In the manner that is the Mynx to all who know her well...

A robed feline form appears out of nowhere behind the Cryptomancer, disrupting his calm surroundings.

Patting the Cryptomancer on the head, Mynx moves in a blur before disappearing once more, the fluttering pages of his notebook, a distinct lowering of the level of coffee, and a missing piece of biscotti the only signs of her presence having been in the vicinity.

In a homely wooden shack located along the outskirts of the Mighty Pen, Idly the Elder Dwarf loafs on a large easychair next to a glaring television set, slowly munching on popcorn as his eyes remain glued on the brightly lit screen. The lazy Dwarf's one-kernel-at-a-time policy of exercise minimization is interrupted as he reaches with an index finger to the remote control at his side, gently tapping a button to flip through channels on the set. The idle dwarf flips past a show on Celes Crusadors' cooking and a news report on the latest in Pen QuillQuests, and pauses as he arrives at a station displaying an image of the exterior of the Pen Keep with a storm gathering around it. The Elder Dwarf raises a brow as lightning flashes across the screen and strikes at Falcon2001s tower, and sits up in his seat as the screen rushes by several Pen ghosts, including GothicPeacock and HeartLikeaHole. Menacing thunder roars in the background as the image turns to the window of the Pen Recruiter's Office, and Idly goes slightly pale as week-old borsche trickles down the rainy glass to form the words:

"Tales from the Cryptomancer."

Idly gasps as the image on the screen moves through the glass and centers on the motionless form of cryptomancer, hauntingly seated in his very own magical easychair and covered from head to toe in gruesome cobwebs. Turning towards the screen and flashing a semi-sinister smirk, the patient applicant slowly mutters:

"Greetings, and welcome to Tales from the Cryptomancer, a new show airing on Pen T.V that allows the masses of the Mighty Pen to hear tales from the unfortunate applicants that get stuck in Wyverns Office. For many years now, the overgrown lizard has kept the tales of terror from being exposed from the general masses... but as sayeth the Raven: 'Never more!'"

The screen suddenly turns to a close up shot of a locked closet within Wyverns Office, and Idly grips the edges of his seat in fear as he faintly hears the voice of Xanthus wailing from within its depths... "Heeeelllp! It was a set-up!"

"That's right folks." continues cryptomancer as the camera turns back to his seat. "The cobwebs you see surounding me actually show the amount of time that I myself have been waiting in this office... and now, with the help of Melba the almost Secretary of Initiates, my tales of terror shall be known to th-"

Cryptomancer is suddenly interrupted as the sound of a door opening and slamming shut is heard faintly in the background, accompanied by a distinctly almost dragonic voice exclaiming "What the-?!" This is then followed by an almost secretary-like voice yelling "See what you get in your absences? I set up the whole program for this poor boychick." Idly scratches his chin as he watches cryptomancer sitting in an uncomfortable silence as the two arch-nemeses bicker it out in the background, until finally the show is cut off the air and replaced with a single screen that contains the words:

"cryptomancers application - ACCEPTED."

;-)

OOC: On a more serious note - an ACCEPTED application piece, cryptomancer. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) Apologies for my lengthy absence in responding, I've been caught up in poor AOL connections and have been visiting friends in the past week. I also apologize if I roleplayed your character inappropriately in this response, since I took a few more liberties than i normally do, and I look forward to reading more of your posts and participating with you in various Pen events. Once again, welcome! :)