The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

An Application, of sorts

Mynx walks up to the door of the building and through it. Walking quickly up to the desk, she places a note on top of the pile and disappears once more

On the letter...:

I don't know what to say or how to write this, but I am applying for a position in your circle.

My tongue of silver is somewhat tarnished as I am still learning how to use it properly, and I have no poetry to call my own that I am proud of, so I did not know what to place on my application.

A story perhaps? But my life is currenlty consumed by three...and I don't know if I ever had a muse but its' gone on vacation it seems.

So what do I tell? What would I write that would show my worth? Truely, I do not know.

Perhaps a story of a friend? A story of love, and loss...but that is too personal to be used. Then maybe one about the bond of friendship...but again, too sore a topic to touch. But what can I use?

I cannot summon an extract to my mind now as I try to find the words for this application. Instead I lay my wish before you and will wait patiently for a reply.

You can read the work I have scattered throughout this place. Maybe that will aide you in your decision.

I will patienly await your reply

Sincerely,

The Mynx

Wandering around the area, nothing better to do with her time, Mynx notices a very happy (if a tad guilty?) looking Gryphon bounce out of the recruiters office.

Seeing his feline friend, Gryphon crowed and raced up to her waving a piece of paper happily.

"I got accepted!" he crowed, before hugging her and dancing round in circles.

Smiling as she watched the antics, before seeing Gryphon disappear off towards the carnival to tell the others, she began to wonder as to the state of her own application.

Curiosity gnawed at her, and the feline made her way to the building.

Standing outside, Mynx regarded the door with uncertanty, unsure as to how wise it would be to barge in and annoy Wyvern by asking.

Deciding it would do nothing for her case to appear anxious, Mynx sighed softly and set off in search for her friends.

Later...

Mynx looks up from her meandering thoughts and notices that her paws have brought her once more back to the recruiters office.

Sighing, she mutters to herself, "I may as well go in and wait..." before walking up to the door.

She pauses just as she is about to knock on it, still undecided, before lowering her hand and walking through the door.

Taking more time to observe her surroundings, Mynx conjurs up a chair in the corner, nicely sheltered by shadows, before resuming her somewhat characteristic position of sharpening her scythe as she waited for Wyvern

A playful wind comes blowing in through a window that is open a crack and gusts over to wrap its self around the hopeful applicant.

As Mynx sits sharpening her scythe her ears prick up... it's almost as though the wind is whispering to her!

Focussing her attention on what she is hearing faint words can be made out, they speak as follows:

"Tell them about yourself,

speak your hopes and dreams,

tell them what you want to do,

tell them what you've seen.

Let the folks at the Pen,

know more about yourself,

your thoughts and your feelings,

dont keep them on the shelf.

If you tell them more,

about yourself you see,

they'll let you in and you'll become,

an initiate just like me!"

And with that the wind departs leaving slightly ruffled fur and a warm fuzzy feeling in Mynx's heart. :)

Mynx laughs softly and begins to murmer to the air.

"What to say to plead my case,

I am an interesting creature of no known race.

I have become known to people as the one to see,

When my friends need advice, for some reason they choose me.

I have befriended a Raven, with silver tongue,

I am partnered to a Gryphon, such a life is quite fun.

I have doubts of my skill, although my friends oppose this,

I cannot write a poem, but to be a storyteller is my wish.

I am hopeless at rhyming, as I am sure you know now,

But to be accepted to the Pen I will try anyhow.

So I add to my application these rambled words,

And hope that I am accepted before I am outshined by the bird."

Bending her head once more, she continues to sharpen her blade and wait.

Mynx sighs to herself and fidgets with her whiskers as her friend Gryphon races around her applicant easychair in circles, chanting in hymns about how he's been accepted to the Pen and the many qualities found in a good application. After administering his sage advice, Gryphon beams to Mynx proudly and takes to the skies, performing an impressive ariel maneuver consisting of a triple-somersault and quadruple-backflip before accidentally crashing into a clear pane of glass and falling flat on his face into an ocean of paperwork. Mynx winces at her friends accident and places a paw over her mouth upon the sight of his crash, but cannot help giggling a tiny bit at her companions rather swift fall from grandeur...

Wandering over to the area of the Office where Gryphon had crashed in the hopes of helping him up, Mynx suddenly pauses and lets out a nervous little "meow" as she notices the knob to the main entrance door of the Recruiter's Office turning. The feline applicant immediately stands up straight and makes herself as presentable as possible, brushing her hair back with a fine comb and setting her vocal tone to a comforting purr. She smiles towards the door with a cute kitten grin as Wyvern speedily enters into the room, but frowns as the reptilian Elder passes her without noticing her in a frantic race for his desk.

Mynxs frown deepens as she notices that the overgrown lizard is wearing several fur coats over his tunic and breeches, along with a pair of googly eye sunglasses and a not-too-convincing fake rubber nose.

"I knew I shouldn't have pressed my luck with that wage raising scheme." cries Wyvern to himself as he sorts through the paperwork on his desktop, still unaware of Mynx's presence as he discards candy wrappers and old "Naughty Elf" magazines to the floor. "Just my luck that I can no longer find the key to Xanthus' closet. Multi-colored Pen spotlights, who'd of thought they'd take it to those extremes?!"

Mynx raises a brow and bites her lip nervously, quietly approaching Wyvern's desk in the hopes of getting the Elder of Initiates' attention and cringing at the overgrown lizard's complete lack of organization.

"Excuse me..." starts Mynx meekly, raising a paw in the hopes of alerting Wyvern of her presence.

"Time to leave town quick." continues Wyvern to himself, still unaware of Mynxs presence in his extensive search for missing documents. "Thank God for these leftover Almost Dragonic Brand Fur Coats™, they still function nicely as disguises. And to think that I was initially scared by the rumors of their materials being cursed by animal spirits."

"Excuse me." says Mynx again, this time slightly louder. The feline applicant takes a step closer towards the desk, then purrs "Mr. Wyvern?"

Wyvern turns his head from his desk searching as Mynx says this, finally noticing the eager applicants presence and coming to a standstill. The overgrown lizards scales turn from crimson red to a pale white as he notices the human-sized Mynx standing in the Office, a gleaming scythe in hand, eyeing him with a mixture of curiousity and aggitation.

"Oh just my luck." cries Wyvern to himself, tearing at his scales. "The fur coats are haunted by animal spirits! I'm doomed!"

Mynx twists her face up upon hearing this, and is about to open her mouth to state her purpose when she finds Wyvern groveling humbly at her feet.

"Please, spare me." pleads the reptilian Elder, dropping his Almost Dragonic Brand Fur Coats™ onto the ground and hiding them behind his back. "No cats were hurt in the making of those coats, I swear! They were all cheaply fabricated using previously shed fur. I'll do anything to redeem myself in your eyes."

Mynx stammers at this for a moment in confusion, then slowly smiles as she realizes her position. Whipping out her application sheet and handing it to Wyvern, she purs:

"Will you accept this?"

"Certainly." hisses Wyvern. And with that, the overgrown lizard stamps Mynx's application piece ACCEPTED.

;-)

OOC: On a more serious note: an ACCEPTED application, Mynx. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) I apologize for the long wait for a response; I've been struggling with net connections as of late and as a result wasn't able to get to this application immediately. I look forward to reading more of your stuff, as well as writing with you in various projects. Welcome, once again! :)