The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Zadown's "Sleuth" - Assembly Room

Yui-chan

"Sleuth"

Zadown,

I wanted to let you know that I'm really enjoying following along on this Dreamer saga (with a Valdar cameo, no less! ^_^). I love your descriptions in general, and especially what you've written recently to illustrate the world called Khârzalar. You used such meaningful imagery that I could almost feel the heat.

So, keep up the great work. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Thanks,

~Yui

I can't wait to see where this goes.

Me neither. I mean, I do have some ideas, but for example I thought khârzalarians were humanoids talking perfectly sensible gibberish that'd translate to normal english before my story was ambushed by a real khârzalarian, a really alien-looking guy. And he seemed to talk in an odd, almost poetic 2x(3x2) format with loud crackling noises breaking the short sentences apart .. fascinating people. Just don't ask me what they eat. I'm sure the story has many more such surprises stored for me, and as a byproduct of me finding them out by writing them, they'll sort of make me write the story all the way to its (bitter? suprising? cliché?) ending.

And .. not sure how many times I've said it, but all positive feedback is like a fiery pain exploding in my brain every time I try to waste my time playing EQ instead of devoting my endless hours properly, in the task of writing down the endless story of the Dreamer.

Heh.

• 1 month later...

I just read through "Sleuth" and thought that it was a very well done story, Zadown. :) As always, the characterization of the Dreamer was excellent throughout it, as his proud yet immoral personality and his sarcastic tone always make for a great read. He comes off as a fully three-dimensional character in this story through the conflicting aspects of his personality, such as his lack of emotions in combat when contrasted with the single tear he sheds at Sherishen's death.

I also agree with Yui that your descriptions of worlds were very vivid and creative in the story, particularly that of the world of Khârzalar. It was very interesting to witness the Dreamer devoid of his magical powers on the plane of Merlimar, as it seemed to almost humble him to an near-human position. The ending was a great surprise as well, and Valdar's cameo appearence was cool. ^_^ He seemed to add a bit of comic relief to the mix with his "shiny" references...

In terms of potential improvements, the only thing I can think of is that a bit more backstory might be nice... though I'm certain that if I read all of the Dreamer's ventures from start to finish, I'd be 100% knowledgable on all of the characters involved in this piece.

Great stuff, ye mighty planeswalker. ;-)