The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Pirates of the Non-Caribbean?

Just wanted to tell you about this dream I had last night. A ghost dream.

I really liked it, especially since I forget most of the dreams I have, so I'm going to do my best to explain it clearly.

I've always secretly liked ghost stories, even though they're so theologically screwed. They're just so creepy, and... whispy and misty and smoky and cool.

This is told from first person point of view. By "me," if you will, except I think I was somebody else in this dream. My father had recently located some sunken treasure, so the whole family was out there while he brought up the fortune. My mother asked me if I wanted to go for a walk. I was all, "Whatever."

Eventually we ended up at this abandoned house where the ghosts of some pirates had taken residence. You guessed it, it was their treasure my father had found. After their ship sank, their spirits had fled to this house. They wanted to hold my mother and me ransom, so my father would give them their treasure back.

My subconscious apparently made up some new rules for ghosts. They either couldn't pass over water, or couldn't pass over rock. While my mother and I ran for them, I ended up taking refuge in the middle of this rock/water (which was it? Gah), but the ghosts usually figured out new ways to get to me. The one who usually caught me was Jacko, a rather scary guy who'd died young, maybe not even at twenty. He always laughed at me whenever he caught me.

My mother escaped and went back to tell my father. (Wait, people will believe this story?) I was kept prisoner. It was scary, spending the night in some abandoned bed surrounded by pirate ghosts, just staring at me. At one point I woke up and there was the ghost of an old man sleeping next to me. I screamed, and he woke up, looking startled. I fell out of bed. Apparently the original owners of the house still lived in it, too, but they were "oppressed" ghosts. The pirates had taken over, and these other spirits rarely showed up or talked at all. We all know that ghosts are sometimes invisible.

Anyway, after a while the pirates and I had gotten used to each other. They let me walk around exploring the house, and weren't particularly worried about my trying to escape. At one point I explored the basement. I remember fleeting images, and the voice, of a woman. Then there was a really deep, scary voice bellowing at me. No words, but I'm pretty sure he wanted me to leave. So um, I did. Quickly.

Upstairs there was a piano. I tested some keys to see how in tune it was. Pretty bad. One of the "oppressed" ghosts showed up and scared me half to death. Again, she didn't say anything, but she seemed upset that I'd been touching her piano. I gave her room and she sat down to play.

After she left I played around on it, and Jacko sat in the living room talking to me. We'd kind of become friends. He didn't even talk like a pirate, more like a modern-day guy. He explained to me once that when the crew had been alive, he'd always left them to visit pubs and the like. It was still that way today. Sometimes he left the house to watch the modern-day kids, so he understood a lot. This is how he knew I was unsulting them in slang, back when I didn't like them. (Apparently I know slang.)

I asked him about the weird beings in the basement. Were they more oppressed spirits? No, he said, they were the first mate and his wife. They'd been married on the ship, and were having their honeymoon in the lower deck, when it sank. When the ghosts fled to this house, the bride and groom claimed the basement, which was most like the lower deck. These days the groom gets pretty upset if you get too close to the bride, so most people avoid the basement altogether.

Another new rule my dream made up for ghosts, was that if they wanted, they could touch you and make you ghost-like as well. Jacko took me places now and then. Nowhere near civilization, but around the forest where the house was. We ran into some powerful ghost over there who made us turn back, though.

My dream doesn't really have an ending, but near that end, my ransom was going to come soon. Their treasure. Jacko had decided he liked me, and wanted me to become a ghost to join the crew. I didn't want to. The crew didn't like it, either. While we were talking about it, he was still holding my hand, so I still looked like a ghost.

Me: So you want to kill me?

Jacko: Don't look at it that way. Think of it as becoming one of us.

Well, I was already pretty mad at Jacko, so I yelled at him while the captain ordered him to let me go. Somehow I ended up breaking free of him (thus becoming solid), and stumbling back, into the wall. The whole house was pretty rickety. I fell to the floor, which creaked an awful lot. The pirates yelled at me to look out. I looked up just as a chandeleir fell on my head. In the basement, the ceiling broke open, and my limp arm hung through.

That's not the end of the story, but that's just about all there is to my dream. Wish that had a good ending. That's the problem with ghost stories.

"Good" endings are a matter of opinion - I think this would make a great story. You had me worried when you said it didn't end, but it does, very completely. Call me morbid, but I think you should dress this up a little more and post it as a story in the Assembly room. You've been blessed with this awesome inspirational dream - use it! If you don't want to, may I? All it needs is a little character development, some locational refinement & description, and ... that's it. I think that's all it needs :D.

About it not being a "good ending," well I suppose that IS an opinion, but the main character dying at the end seems depressing. As I was going over this in halfway-awake mode, I wanted to figure out some way for her to survive. Maybe comatose and halfway-ghost, and she can be revived. *shrug* Oh well...

Haha, well cool, you can totally use it! I too thought it would be better as a real story, but I have too many stories to write right now. Go nuts! I'd love to see what you do with it.

Let's attempt to interpere your dreams:

I'm just wondering if Jareena Faye is an immigarant or they've moved from where she was born... because that fits perfectly well for the first part of Jareena's dream. Her father moved from one place to another in search of"treasure" or wealth. Mother gone for a walk could mean that the family ideal has changed somewhat... meaning she also went out to get a job in the new enviroment.

The place you moved too eveuntually becomes your home or your school, not suprisingly, but now a clash of ideals appears because the mom is suppose to be in the house...

Your hiding place, "the rock/water" which signifies your stern isolation against the rest of the world. You tried to keep to yourself from the rest of society, because you see those foreign ghost as evil. However that's due to change.

This Jacko guy is prossibly your ideal mate, or already person that existed in your life. He probably dragged you out of your isolation or you are hoping he'll do that. Once you are captured you began to be aware of the society you found yourself in. In your neighbourhood it's prolly just gangsters bullying everyone else. I've also noticed as your dream proceed you see more and more about the new society and forgot about the family.

The it all comes back to the significance of the three events... the old man, the dark basement, the piano. They might have personal meanings or none at all. The old man reminded me of the tippler or those pan handlers on the streets. The ghastly couple could very well foreshadow your future life if you went out with this jacko, and the piano girl probably represent those who have an artistic mind. In short you pitited all these types of ppl that lives around you.

Here we see the transforming of Jacko... you've realized that he's becoming more of a normal kid then a pirate... he's no longer the bad bad boy but one of the guys that you hang out with. The rest of this dream will forshadow your future with this jacko guy. He can make you one of them by touching you and so you two will share experience together.. or going out. The truth about the bride and groom is your take on marriage or long term commitment... It's a disaster because you two will be in a place all by yourselves. Privacy... your boyfriend will protect you, but you two will be isolated from this world, always living in the bottom. So you just wanna have a fling with him, but that Jacko turns madly in love with you and wants you to be with him. However his friends doesn't approve. The random prolly means you are almost done with school so you'll have to depart. Still he refuses to let go... and so you cannot be back to the way you are.

(don't be offended if its totally inaccruate)

Wow... some of that was uncanny! Are you a psychiatrist or somethign?

Haha, makes me laugh... When I told Distarius about this dream (that's him up there, my boyfriend), he complained that I was in love with a ghost and wanted to be one. I said no way! It's just a dream! But now that you've interpreted, Jacko seems... kinda... like... Jared. Oh weird.

I'm just wondering if Jareena Faye is an immigarant or they've moved from where she was born...

I've lived in three or four places over my lifetime. The last place was my home for twelve years, before my dad got a job as a pastor in North Dakota. We've been here for the last two years.

The place you moved too eveuntually becomes your home or your school, not suprisingly...Your hiding place, "the rock/water" which signifies your stern isolation against the rest of the world. You tried to keep to yourself from the rest of society, because you see those foreign ghost as evil. However that's due to change.

I was never a very social creature. Home schooled for one thing, plus I like to stay in and write. I'm sure a lot of us can understand that, hmm? Although I do manage to say something stupid when I *am* in public, I just don't feel a great longing to be there, anyway.

This Jacko guy is prossibly your ideal mate, or already person that existed in your life. He probably dragged you out of your isolation or you are hoping he'll do that.

I never wanted a boyfriend. It's all Distarius' fault. :D

Once you are captured you began to be aware of the society you found yourself in. In your neighbourhood it's prolly just gangsters bullying everyone else. I've also noticed as your dream proceed you see more and more about the new society and forgot about the family.

Hmm. No gangsters in ND. Or really anyone relatively disgruntled... druggies! We have druggies! But then again, I have a lot of friends on the internet and don't spend much time with my family. Which is weird considering we're six people holed up in the same building all day.

The ghastly couple could very well foreshadow your future life if you went out with this jacko,

Well that's scary... Dis, you a stalker?

and the piano girl probably represent those who have an artistic mind. In short you pitited all these types of ppl that lives around you.

I play piano. The piano is your friiiend.

So wow, your analysis was really good. I didn't even see all that. Teach me your awesome ways! It's only the last part that seems contradictory to me. Maybe I just don't want to think badly of the relationship I'm currently in. (Maybe I do subconsciously!) We're pretty serious, and don't intend to screw anything up. But on the other hand, maybe the dream shows a crossroads or a forewarning, and doesn't necessarily mean we have to end up that way.

This is really interesting...