The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

the things that we forget

This is really crappy, and i would say it's a work in progress, but i'll probably never return to it. So tear it up and whatnot, it doesn't matter.

Little girl on the battlefield

Tears welling in her eyes

But all the bloodshed could never compare

To knowing what she left behind

If there’s one thing you’ll remember

It’s that the truth hurts more than the lies

And you’ll never forget the wounds that are your core

When things go left unsaid

They gnaw on your bones

And suck the marrow from inside

Leaving you to you’re thoughts alone

When both parties’ are too stubborn

It drains away your blood

And fades the life light from your eyes

Leaving you to continue the path on your own

A sadder sight you never saw

This fragile little ghost

An echo of a past you wish you could let go

But closure always seemed to come too late

And you’ll never forget the wounds that are your core

You have such a talent for making poems read and flow well without rhyme; your cadence is so natural. That made this a particular delight to read and pulled me along.

The first stanza was the strongest in my eyes and made a good opening with the image of a child beginning to cry on a battle field.

I liked these lines and the acknowledgment of how much truth hurts; you can no longer deny the pain and lies are so much more comforting. The line following them was good as well: "And you’ll never forget the wounds that are your core". This shows just how deeply pain affects people, wounds are most likely to sink down to the core, but it is also the most painful thing to have in your heart.

Ending the poems with the repetition of these lines was a good choice in my opinion, as they make a good summery of the ideas presented. “This fragile little ghost” was a powerful image in the last stanza, tying back to the crying child on the battle field; the “echo of a past you wish you could let go” was very relatable as well.

One lingering thought is how open to interpretation this poem is. Many of your poems leave me with emotions, then looking back on it I realize that you never specifically mention what you’re talking about. Every reader can take these feelings and make them their own, applied to any situation they can relate to. It’s an interesting approach.

Wonderful poem and I was glad to read it, I would be glad to read more or a revised version as well if you ever do decided to return to it. :)