The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Gutenberg Project

Falcon2001

Hey all - those of you who haven't heard of the Gutenberg Project might want to check this out.

There are three portions of the Project Gutenberg Library, basically be described as:

Light Literature; such as Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass, Peter Pan, Aesop's Fables, etc.

Heavy Literature; such as the Bible or other religious documents, Shakespeare, Moby Dick, Paradise Lost, etc.

References; such as Roget's Thesaurus, almanacs, and a set of encyclopedia, dictionaries, etc.  The Light Literature Collection is designed to get persons to the computer in the first place, whether the person may be a pre-schooler or a great-grandparent. We love it when we hear about kids or grandparents taking each other to an etexts to Peter Pan when they come back from watching HOOK at the movies, or when they read Alice in Wonderland after seeing it on TV. We have also been told that nearly every Star Trek movie has quoted current Project Gutenberg etext releases (from Moby Dick in The Wrath of Khan; a Peter Pan quote finishing up the most recent, etc.) not to mention a reference to Through the Looking-Glass in JFK. This was a primary concern when we chose the books for our libraries.

And even better if you go here:

http://www.gutenberg.net/cdproject/index.shtml

You can sign up to have a FREE CD or DVD filled with these books delivered to your house for nothing. I read about this on slashdot and thought it was really cool and checked it out, so I figured I'd show the rest of you this - save us all quite a few trips to the library for book reports and research papers.

Oh, it sounds nice alright. Convenient, too! Free CD? Awesome!

*BUT*

I sense something evil a foot. I mean, "The Gutenberg Project"? Sounds evil to me. I don't mean evil like, "All your base are belong to us" evil. But something more sneaky... like... well, I don't know what like. But I think it's going to take an expert spy, or perhaps a ninja to figure this one out. I'll be looking into this...

:tree:

(Yes, I'm kidding ;p)

My Dad is in on that project, actually. He's working on post-proofing a couple of books, I think. Never even thought to make the connection though...

Online books... online writing guild... and a shiny.

which of these does not belong?

Obviously, the online books. Shinies and writing guilds always belong. :P