The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Bathroom Passes

Savage Dragon

This is an old essay i wrote for an english class a few years ago that always amused me. i don't know what to think now hat ive read it again, it seems mostly like random rantings, but it got an A at least...

If you are sitting at your desk with your legs crossed, teeth clenched, hands gripping the sides of the chair, and you’re staring at the wall hard enough to see through it, chances are you need to go to the bathroom. So why are you here listening to your teacher describe the beauty of Niagara Falls instead of flying towards the restroom at speeds that rival current military aircraft. The answer is simple, you’ve already used up all of your hall passes. Once to get a drink of water, 3 times to go to the restroom, and one time to visit your locker. With no more passes you can only dream of the heavenly graffiti on the side of the toilet stall while you quietly wet yourself. The only reassuring thought going through your mind is that you don’t have to worry about your fellow students missing important information, like how many gallons of water go over Niagara Falls in an hour.

While a students urinary needs are not foremost in a teacher’s mind it can be more important than you think. It all has to do with trust, trust that teachers should have for their students. For a student, being trusted by your teacher is one of the most important issues of high school. It’s part of becoming accustomed with the real world. That’s why it’s important and that’s why I’m writing this paper. I am going to present my argument in the following three sub-sections.

First, students with medical conditions that require them to drink lots of water are more prone to needing the bathroom frequently.

Second, Its well known that trying to retain the need to urinate, holding it in, can be seriously damaging to the kidneys and bladder, not to mention the serious loss of concentration from the student.

Third, high school students should be trusted enough to be allowed to go the bathroom. Some could argue that time between classes is enough for students to use the bathroom and many might say that a high school student is the most untrustworthy creature on this planet. I hope to disprove this argument in my paper.

If you know a person who can visit their locker, go the bathroom, exchange notes with a classmate, and make it to class across the school in seven minutes, then you can stop reading now. The truth is that there is not enough time to go the bathroom. Between staying after classes to talk to the teacher, to helping your friend carry their science project, the toilet is not a priority. Plus, our bathrooms are crowded and loud. It is not the most comfortable place to relieve yourself. It would be easier if we could go during class. However, we are not trusted enough to do this. Teachers expect us to take as long as possible when going to the bathroom and take breaks every day. Not all students are that irresponsible, and those that are, can be disciplined. The rest of us should be allowed to go.

Sometimes going between classes isn’t even enough. Many students like to drink water in class. Drinking water helps clear you system and keeps you awake and paying attention. Some students have medical conditions that requires them to drink water. Other students who take band or chorus need to keep hydrated in order to perform better in class. Many would agree that drinking water is a good habit, but drinking more water means more trips to the restroom. If students decide to follow this good habit they will be penalizing themselves. When you drink water during class, going between classes may not be enough. The human bladder is a very tricky organ. One minute you might be at peace with your bladder, then next you need to go the bathroom like never before and the longer you hold it, the worse it will get.

There isn’t a person who would argue that holding your urine in isn’t bad for your bladder and kidneys. With all that a student goes through in a day, worrying if you are causing damage to your bladder should not be a major priority. Teachers who restrict hall passes make it hard to answer nature’s call. Some teachers even give extra credit for students who don’t use any hall passes. It’s like being paid not to use a toilet. Then why can’t we get paid for avoiding other natural callings? Do I get any extra credit points if I don’t eat lunch? How about if I stop breathing for the rest of this period? I don’t mind, it’s not like its important to my health. The truth is that it is hazardous to your health and if a school policy is causing damage to a major body organ that there is no question that it should not be in effect. If our school board will let that one slip by then maybe they shouldn’t be trusted.

If you think I may be taking this a little far and that our school board can be trusted, then I would say you’re right. However, wouldn’t I be right to say that we should be trusted. High school students range from fourteen to eighteen years old and have already had ten to fourteen years of school, we know the rules by now. This is our last level of schooling before we go on to college or to jobs and if you don’t think we’re responsible to go to the bathroom and back without making a mess of ourselves then why don’t you explain to us why one plus one equals two again. Those students who do not have the mind capacity to accomplish this difficult task can be disciplined, the rest of us would be allowed to use the bathroom. This is a system that could easily work, but instead it is assumed that all students lack the capability to walk down the hall and go to the bathroom. Rules like this only add to the stereotype that teachers are out to get their students. When I’m allowed to get out diapers then maybe we can talk about trustworthiness of the school board.

The plain and simple fact is that teachers shouldn’t be allowed to restrict our natural needs as a human being. The students with their legs and eyes crossed are waiting for an answer. You’re punishing the kids with good habits, you’re damaging kids bladders everywhere, and you’re pitting your students against their teachers. The advice is simple and easy to follow. It’s either a world full of wet jeans or relaxed kids, it’s time to make a decision which.

:dragon4: