The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Technological Superiority

Zadown

Clink - clink - clink - clink - clink ...

Cherub is at it again, trying to break the heavy, opressive silence by tapping his weapon with his armored forefinger. I hate that, slap the side of my helmet angrily. He doesn't notice.

16th day here. We've been forgotten, everybody knows it in their bones. Plenty of food left, water is recycled, ammo is low. And the stink of dead, decaying meat is getting really bad.

D.o.a says it is as bad as it is going to get. That we won't notice it any more soon, that third week near corpses is the worst. I guess he knows what he is talking about. He mutters something after that but my suit is whirring too loudly again and I miss it. I should talk to Monkey about that.

I really should.

Heat is bad too. Not inside the suits but it makes the air ripple. Makes it hard to see when the world ripples, when they try the mumbo-jumbo again. Been a few days, Cherub thinks they are giving up. And taps his weapon with his armored forefinger, condensing water dripping off his white suit.

I check my weapon for the 57th time today. It is fine.

Edited by Zadown

17th day.

Nothing much happens. Nothing much happened yesterday, either.

Like a week long déjá vu.

Satanist hadn't talked in 6 days. Today he said that perhaps we are all dead already and just didn't notice it. After that everybody was silent again.

Been staring out today. The corpses .. annoy me. They are already so rotten that you could almost think they are human. Blackened limbs twisting, milky eyes, eaten eyes, missing eyes gazing up to the canopy of leaves above us. No ruined suits out there or in here. Not yet.

Radio is still silent. They were supposed to pick us up almost two weeks ago. Go go army.

20th day. I think. Suit comp not that reliable, the clock has always been slowing down. Can't be bothered to check real time from Sarge.

Still need to talk to Monkey about the suit. Hate the whirr. Hate the heat. Hate the place. Hate the rotten smell, the slumped form of Satanist in the corner, Cherub's clink clink clink, silent radio, green jungle.

But Monkey is on the other side of the room, way too far.

I shift and strech myself, hard in the ½-ton suit. Never meant to be lived in for weeks, that's for sure.

Even less ammo left, by the way. They tried again. The stupid bastards tried it again.

Why can't they just stop?

21st day. Or the day after what was supposed to be 20th. Go figure.

Satanist is talking again. Not that it is any good. He is talking to the corpses. Or that's what it looks like to me. I never really liked him, he was too soft for this sort of work. We stare at walls to avoid seeing him now.

Or floor. Saw some empty shells levitating today. Tried to show to Sarge but it had passed by the time he turned to look. Possibly made me look bad.

At least I don't talk to the corpses.

Don't like the feeling in the air. I think I hear something, but the whirr is too bad for me to be certain. Asked Cherub and I think he nodded. Hard to tell with the suits and all. He hasn't made the clinking noise for a bit. Suits me fine.

Monkey and D.o.a talk in the corner. They seem better off than most of us.

If we lose they are the last ones to go, I'm sure.

Edited by Zadown

Day after. 22th-ish.

Air is getting thicker. Suit says everything is A-OK, but it doesn't even show the proper time so I'm sceptic. Too much jungle. I hate even green lights now.

Things are getting worse. They must have brought some heavier guns to bear on us. World is rippling, just like they said it would do, those who have survived this kind of thing. D.o.a looks scared. Bad sign.

Still got some ammo left.

End of File