The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Truth ( 1

Guest Mira

Guest opesopacus

there are not facts, only interpretations - Frederich Nietzsche

what is truth? that's a good one... there is not such thing, it's all interpretations

when someone lies, what do they do? they use the "incorrect" linguistic "tag" to discribe a situation. they use the tag "rich", when it would have been "correct" to use the tag "poor". But really, who decided which tag should be used to describe a situation? Society. In essence, truth is a generalization made by society, a generalization which we are taught to accept. But that generalization is not true. It is said to be true only because everyone follows it. In essence, if everyone accepted a lie, it would be deemed as true. Does that make it true? well... what is truth?

truth is a commonly accepted statement, so i guess something could be true in a society, but in the grand , universal scheme of things it is not true.

so in our minds, something could be "true" to us because of the way one is raised. However, when one exits that society or the setting which accepts that so - called truth, what is true becames deemed as "not true". it's all perspective. there is no true there is no lie...depends where you are.

this brings me to the concept of scientific truth. . .

Scientific truth - repeatable evidence... What does that have to do with the human spirit?

Can one discern the ineffable essence of actors by examining the stage? Their costumes? Their lines?

The world is bigger than you or I or Einstein could ever imagine. It is simply a matter of serial minds in a paralell universe(s?).

~Zool~

Ancient, The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.

Bard of Terra, Patron Saint of Aspiring Bards.

Master of Magic and Mayhem, The Moonlit Realm

Elder than dirt, more foolish than a jester, able to trip over the smallest logic in a single step. It's... Oh, you know.

Opes, does this mean you find that anything unperciveable non-existant?

If so, might I point out the irony of how much that is percived doesn't exist.

Then again, I suppose it all comes back to existance. Loaded words "Truth" and "Existance".

Guest opesopacus

i don't believe that something inpresiveable does not exist... it think that we have yet to define existance. there is so much out there. think of it this way. the universe and time have been around forever. we've been around for the last million years. compare that to the age of time - that's nothing. we cannot even dare to think that we can percieve everything which exists.

humans are very feable... i believe that we cannot percieve most of the things going on around us. there are processes which go on in us, there a re also layers of us which we cannot percieve.

one thing that hinders our perception is language. see, in my opinion, language is good for communicating with eachother. it is necessary. but it fails when we start talking about things which are not human... like matter and energy. for example, the the wave-particle duality of light. in our simple little minds it's either wave or particle. in *that which is* it acts as both. we have a lot of difficulty wrapping our heads around this because it does not fit into our litle box.

Guest opesopacus

our realm of experience? our realm of understanding? our realm of faith? i'm not quite sure i understand what you mean... but i'll give it a crack anyways... that's interesting... initially i was going to say that our realm of experience is all those things we can e xperience. basically, the four dimensions. our body can percieve what is going on in them...but then again, we can't percieve everything that happens within these four dimensions... our realm of understanding is the things we can understand. in order to understand more we must evolve. i think that god and certain universal phaenomena are beyond our realm of understanding. our realm of faith... that's hard... i think you'd have to clearly define faith... god is everything, yet we cannot percieve everything... we cannot really percieve god, either....

i mentioned evolution....i was reading an essay by jung, he talked about the parallels which exist between ontogenesis (the development of an individual organism) and phylogenesis (the development of a species, genus, etc.) it's interesting... as we develope we become capable of directed thinking. many ancient civilizations had the scientific knowledge to develope complex machines, yet they didn't.... he's saying that they did not have the same level of directed thinking that we do. their goals were aimed a t god and the soul and were mainly controlled by fantastic thinking... ours on the other hand are directed at ourselves and very much controlled by directed thinking... i think i've figured out what's wrong with the world: we have never ever had so much knowledge, yet we have never had so little wisdom.

I don't know if that was a person specific question Zool, but I want a try

Les see the realm of experence would be the select few of situations and phonomena in the universe that we have personally experenced.

We use these to validate the collective realm of understanding, which is the collective realms of experince of humanity, and the reasons behind them.

The realm of faith is how we patch the holes in the realm of understanding, and where we make base assumtions that allow us to further our understanding.

I do wonder though if beliving in things like text books fall into the realm of faith or understanding. I personally compare what I read with what has happened to me, and what I belive to exist, thus I'd put it in understanding, because I have fairly good proof it exists.

I hope this was on topic...